TWO DETECTORISTS ALMOST KILLED ON TUESDAY!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I strongly dislike telling bad news, but since it happened on a metal detecting trip, here goes...

My friend and I were detecting this GREAT old house on Tuesday. We'd heard that there was a strong storm rolling in that late evening, so we figured that when we saw the first signs of the storm we'd hit the road. No problem, right? WRONG! I'd just finished recovering several 1930's and 1940's coins from a pocket spill, and we felt a drop or two of rain. No lightning or anything. Just a few drops. I looked at my buddy and said "Well, lets call it a day." We went up to talk to the property owner and noticed that the sky was quickly darkening overhead. After talking to him for literally a sixty seconds, we told him that we'd better get home before the storm hit. As we were walking to the car, the rain started to pour down. We ran to the car and threw the detectors in the trunk and jumped inside. The sky looked like tornado sky--eerie color and the winds picking up. As we were driving away, I heard my buddy say "Dude, GO!" I put the gas pedal to the floor as I saw two or three large trees start to fall in one of the yards beside the road. Then yet another huge tree fell and the whole car rocked as the windows imploded inward and the sunroof was pulverized by a large limb coming straight down through it and in between us. Power lines were down everywhere, and branches were blowing through the air. I looked over to my left and saw another monster tree still standing right beside the car. I wasn't about to get trapped by that one! I yelled "Get out of here and watch out for the power lines!!" We sprinted to a nearby house. We both ended up o.k., and I find that pretty amazing considering where those limbs entered the car!! We were both covered in tiny shards of glass from the windows--our hair/ears/clothes full of it. But other than a few little cuts we made it through just fine. The verdict on the car: totaled. Below are the photos from that evening. The storm ended as quickly as it began, and we snapped the shots of the car. Now don't get me wrong, I like exciting metal detecting adventures, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anything as terrifying as this.

One LUCKY S.O.B. who was almost a shish kabob,

Buckleboy

Here's the Camry on a nice sunny detectin' adventure a few weeks ago:
camry before.jpg
And the carnage of Tuesday night:
after.jpg

afterr.jpg

sunroof outside.jpg

sunroof outside1.jpg

This was inches from my head:
sunroof inside.jpg

sunroof sky.jpg

Me at the car.jpg

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
OMG!!!

Somewhere along the way, you must have done something right. You had some amazing karma bouncing back at you!

So glad to hear that it was only the car. Could have been a lot more sad.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY HOLY COW!! Welcome back from OZ, and glad that ya'll are ok that could of been much much worse! I would still be shaking.

Someone needs to classify Metal Detecting as an Extreme Sport!
Take care

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!, Glad everyone is okay,

Fossis......................

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a lot less damage and a lot more carnage......Glad yall came out OK...The car can be replaced but you and your friend couldn't...Hope your next outting will be a lot better.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
:o :o :o i guess it wasnt your time. glad to hear you guys are ok.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! You guys are both very lucky.

;) RR

T

TreasureTales

OUCH! Glad you guys are OK. Sorry about your car, but I'm more concerned about your METAL DETECTORS in the trunk. Are they OK, too? Priorities! :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny that you mention the detectors...that was the first thing I thought about after I made sure I wasn't injured. I was standing on a stranger's porch watching the car get pummeled with debris thinking "As long as my machine is o.k..."

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Really glad to hear you guys are ok. I truly believe if its not your time to go...you wont.
......its all in His Hands. So you definitely had your guardian angels watching over you that day! Glad your machines are ok too! :)

K

Kentucky Kache

Whoa. That was a close one. Glad you guys are okay.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Hope you ain't cursed or nothing. :-[ Cuz I do want to hunt with you someday. :-\
I better take my kevlar along in my alice pack just in case. :D

Dude, I'm glad your ok. :)

Burt

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're okay...it's times like that that make you know there is a God.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I forgot to say:

There ain't nothin' wrong with that car that a little cardboard and duct tape can't take care of. ;D

Burt

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
Hope you ain't cursed or nothing. :-[ Cuz I do want to hunt with you someday. :-\
I better take my kevlar along in my alice pack just in case. :D

Dude, I'm glad your ok. :)

Burt

Way I figure it, there are two ways of lookin at it. I would prefer to think I was "lucky" rather than "cursed." My finds haven't been cursed lately, so bring on the kevlar and a helmet and lets get huntin'. The next treasuremobile WILL NOT have a sunroof!

-Buckleboy

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
OMG. So glad you two are ok. Somebody was definitely watchin' out for you.

At least you found some stuff before the weather and the trees hit...

Nan

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Oy!

Two words- Roll Bars.

Can I show you something in a Jeep, sir? Or possibly a small armored vehicle? ;)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Holy crapoli, you are a couple of lucky dogs!

Heres to turning that luck into some great future finds!

I'm just glad you both are OK! Makes us all stop and think how fragile we all are. I mean, we are talking inches here.

Take care!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions