Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Those images are on a thumb drive that is plugged into my computer. They are already cut to 700 pictals. I just hit browse and they are all there ready to post. As I said, I don't like cloud storage. It is just more material for those that try to pick your brain. I made a comment about a new detector on here and within 1/2 hour Kellyco had an ad on my home page for that same detector. You can set a false image of yourself by searching certain subjects. lol Frank View attachment 1056990

No worries here about ads. Never see them ... Even on this tablet. Firefox + adblock plus. Do they have ads on TNET? I see an empty placard at the top of the page that makes me think there probably are.
I see no ads, and browse MUCH FASTER without them.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My father was a pro phothgrapher and I worked my first darkroom at 8 years old. I've always taken pictures and after borrowing a Canon digital I bought a Rebel in 08. My surprise was I never had a camera with a learning curve. I thought just being able to change ISO on the fly was enough. This thing did bunches of stuff.
My first trip to Yellowstone was in 1981 and most people were using Kodak instasomething. I went back in 09 and people had digital SLR. Expensive cameras but I thought if I had a curve what are the snap shooters going to do.
Since then I've seen a move back to the full auto grab shot cameras. An example is a relation bought a nice Nikon but when asking about it she said "Oh I just keep the camera in Auto. In other words she never took the camera or it's abilities seriously.
It takes more than equipment to make good photos.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My father was a pro phothgrapher and I worked my first darkroom at 8 years old. I've always taken pictures and after borrowing a Canon digital I bought a Rebel in 08. My surprise was I never had a camera with a learning curve. I thought just being able to change ISO on the fly was enough. This thing did bunches of stuff.
My first trip to Yellowstone was in 1981 and most people were using Kodak instasomething. I went back in 09 and people had digital SLR. Expensive cameras but I thought if I had a curve what are the snap shooters going to do.
Since then I've seen a move back to the full auto grab shot cameras. An example is a relation bought a nice Nikon but when asking about it she said "Oh I just keep the camera in Auto. In other words she never took the camera or it's abilities seriously.

You either have the "eye" or you don't............the difference between a photograph or picture.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course. Art is a language. Like any language you can understand it to a point but never know it. Where i I live an Anglo can understand enough Spanish to order some food but they will never read Don Quote in the original text. Just like art it takes effort and most don't have enough interest to care.
If one cares it would begin with exposure to art where ever it's found. If your creating something artistic you'll know when your on the right path when you can criticize your work positively and not think everything you do is great because all the relatives say so. It's the process that counts.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
No worries here about ads. Never see them ... Even on this tablet. Firefox + adblock plus. Do they have ads on TNET? I see an empty placard at the top of the page that makes me think there probably are.
I see no ads, and browse MUCH FASTER without them.

I use foxfire and tried ad block, but it blocks other things too as I browse for info so I elected to cut off the adblock. I firmly believe that what you don't know may hurt you! just my view. Frank five star.png

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

I kind of agree, but with reservations. I always have my camera set on full auto so I won't miss a shot, but there are times when I get more creative. The thing is the high end cameras now have biasing settings for the full auto mode, in fact my new Sony NEX6 has 2 auto modes. The second one can be set to automatically take full dynamic range images. That is it will automatically take multiple images for the full 'contrast' range of the subject and merge them automatically. You can even choose to get all the images, or just the best merge. It also includes those 'trick shots' settings that started out on the point and shoots like sepia, select color 'single', black & white, etc.
Hay I havent figured out all the settings like vivid, or macro. I always think of the lens as the macro element, not the chip in the camera. Then there's that panorama mode. You can even tell the camera which way you want to swing the camera during exposure, right, left, up, or down.
how about the ISO range of 100 to 24800, plus that even has an auto mode. Hay, I have been shooting since the 50's and this camera even amazes me. I think it can shoot in the dark using one glowbug! lol Frank five star.png

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
You either have the "eye" or you don't............the difference between a photograph or picture.

I think the eye is an acquired thing. Most start off shooting useless images like the current trend of selfies. Some graduate to a higher level where they see beauty, composition and uniqueness as prime factors for capturing the image in the first place. Look at all those cell phone images which will just stay with the phone, never to be seen again.
The way I look at it is photography is just a toy to most and art to a few others. Just my view.
Frank five star.png
Hay.jpg
Hay, this one almost looks 3D to me!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Of course. Art is a language. Like any language you can understand it to a point but never know it. Where i I live an Anglo can understand enough Spanish to order some food but they will never read Don Quote in the original text. Just like art it takes effort and most don't have enough interest to care.
If one cares it would begin with exposure to art where ever it's found. If your creating something artistic you'll know when your on the right path when you can criticize your work positively and not think everything you do is great because all the relatives say so. It's the process that counts.

Hay, I have evolved thru many art forms like painting, enameling, pyrography, pottery, etc.etc.
and I can tell you that you know when your work is good and you notice every single brush fiber that has fallen in the wrong place also. As for others opinions, it is merely necessary to see the look on there face as they view your work.
Frank five star.png
ELVIS 003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I found the first flaw in the camera, not really a flaw but rather a limitation. It uses a proprietary flash shoe. It has a pretty good built in flash with controls, but a have a pro Canon flash, so I looked around and found an adapter that will allow me to use the Canon flash on the NEX6. Hay, it only cost about $6. I found the control and turned off the digital zoom, never did like them. The adapter to use my 6 Canon lenses on the NEX6 was a bit more. it set me back $20, but allows me to use my thousands of $ worth of lenses. Hay, the hobbies are what keep life interesting, that is when you get older. lol Frank five star.png
down down.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions