****CAMERAS, CAMERAS, CAMERAS****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, the old Canon 10D finally died. The code said to send it back to Canon for repairs. Fat chance, it's to many generations old.
I read up on specs. The Sony NEX6 looks good. It will sit on my open hand easily, has 16MP sensor and all the controls of a pro camera. Best of all, since there are newer models, the price is half of intro price. The new model, the Alpha6000 has 32MP, but the files are to big and the light sensitivy is about half. The Tru View view finder on the NEX6 has a higher resolution than the new one.It is in transit now. I got it from Amazon. Can't wait to test it! Frank five star.png
Flordia 07-disney.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, you guys might not hear from me for a while!
I just got the new camera and I am more than pleased with it's size and appearance, BUT
I always read the manual BEFORE I use a piece of equipment, especially electronic.
There is also the fact that I also received my brick of .22 ammo and 12ga 000 buckshot.
See you later, oh yes, the manual is over 100 pages!!!! Frank five star.png
111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you obtain a brick of .22 ammo? Gee, I feel 'left out'. I haven't seen any .22 ammo here in a long time. I bought three 50 count boxes about a year ago at the local Wally World. Now they have a white sign, about 4 feet long, and about 4 inches tall, with red letters saying that they're sorry, but they have no .22 ammo. Before that, they had sign sitting on the counter that was about 8" x 10", stating the same thing. When I talked to one of the sporting goods workers, he told me that they did occasionally got several boxes. He said whenever they got around to releasing them for the shelf, it was only a few minutes before they were gone.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
How did you obtain a brick of .22 ammo? Gee, I feel 'left out'. I haven't seen any .22 ammo here in a long time. I bought three 50 count boxes about a year ago at the local Wally World. Now they have a white sign, about 4 feet long, and about 4 inches tall, with red letters saying that they're sorry, but they have no .22 ammo. Before that, they had sign sitting on the counter that was about 8" x 10", stating the same thing. When I talked to one of the sporting goods workers, he told me that they did occasionally got several boxes. He said whenever they got around to releasing them for the shelf, it was only a few minutes before they were gone.

On line! Midway USA. It is located in MO. I got a brick (500) RWS R50 .22 's
. It's target loads. With a target rifle you can put your shots in less than a 3" circle at 100 yards. One review claimes 3/4" at that distance. Frank five star.png

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Back to the camera. It took me 5 hours to read the 101 page manual. Hay, you can't speed read technical material and get anything out of it.
Well, this Sony is worse than my XLT for bells and whistles. I couldn't believe that they put so much into a (4 3/4X 2 3/4X 1 1/16 ) package! It has the 3" screen on the back and a high resolution OLED eye level viewfinder. This is what I normally use. You can adjust everything and do it in degrees. Like adjust the picture quality and size ratio. It has things I never dreamed of. How about this, You can adjust it to focus on the faces, Not impressed? You can set it to focus on a particular face in a group. Still not impressed? You can set it to trigger when it sees a smile, hay you can even specify the degree of smile required. If you have a picture that is out of range exposure wise, It will automatically take several pictures and automaticly piece the good parts together. You can take a wide scenic by selecting scenic and pushing the exposure button and sweeping the camera. It automatically stitches the image together. This model has buttons instead of a touch screen. This is what I am use to and it seems faster to me. It has a pop up flash and a flash shoe also. You can charge the battery in camera from a USB socket on a computer or from the wall, or from a car socket. I got the 16 to 50 OOS lense with power zoom to start. Have to add a tele of at least 200 and a macro. I will just set it in one of the automatic settings untill I have time to play with the special features. Frank five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two little cheap digital cameras that I have are used in the 'auto' mode almost all of the time, occasionally in 'macro'. You like to use the bells and whistles, that's fine. I just don't use many of 'em. The Samsung that I've had for a number of years has a manual about 1/2 inch thick x 4 inches long x 3 inches tall. I've read just enough of it to operate the camera in 'auto' mode. lol I envy you for taking the time to read the manual and use the different features. I used to try to make use of everything that I had; every bell and whistle. Now I just try to 'get by'. Hey, with age comes that privilege! lol
On a serious note, I hope you have many enjoyable hours with your new toy!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The two little cheap digital cameras that I have are used in the 'auto' mode almost all of the time, occasionally in 'macro'. You like to use the bells and whistles, that's fine. I just don't use many of 'em. The Samsung that I've had for a number of years has a manual about 1/2 inch thick x 4 inches long x 3 inches tall. I've read just enough of it to operate the camera in 'auto' mode. lol I envy you for taking the time to read the manual and use the different features. I used to try to make use of everything that I had; every bell and whistle. Now I just try to 'get by'. Hey, with age comes that privilege! lol
On a serious note, I hope you have many enjoyable hours with your new toy!

I read the manual so I don't break it. Things break easier than they use to.
I have done pro photography like weddings, Mag coverage of events like air shows, Even chased cops and firemen in my younger days. I will tell you a secret. Most pro's use auto setting most of the time, but they can bias the auto mode settings ahead of time. My new one has 2 auto settings. One will evaluate the picture and if it is beyond the cameras range, it will take several pictures and automatically patch the best parts together. Here's my first shot, on automatic, of course! Frank five star.png PS: I had to dumb it down from 4k+ pictals to 700 pictals to put it on here.
Blue 1212-1.jpg
Blue on couch

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
On line! Midway USA. It is located in MO. I got a brick (500) RWS R50 .22 's
. It's target loads. With a target rifle you can put your shots in less than a 3" circle at 100 yards. One review claimes 3/4" at that distance. Frank View attachment 1055359

Now Frank, I didn't IMMEDIATELY run to their website - had to google them first. Mostly out of stock, but the available ones were either $175 or $220 for 500 rounds. I'll haunt Walmart....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Now Frank, I didn't IMMEDIATELY run to their website - had to google them first. Mostly out of stock, but the available ones were either $175 or $220 for 500 rounds. I'll haunt Walmart....

ENTER THE ERA OF YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY!
You can see what the manufacturers are doing. Look at all his back orders. This place carries a wide price range of products. I will horde the bulk of these shells for 'protective purposes' and enjoy some, then wait for the price to drop. It's like detectors. The big money is buying the manufacturers and putting on the supply squeeze to up the price. A lot of the new detectors are in the thousands and you know they don't cost that much more to make.
Frank five star.png
PS: I did make out on my camera though. It does over twice as much with half the weight as my old Canon while costing less than half.
Hay.jpg
Picture #3 with new camera. Almost looks 3D.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures! I have a 10 MP camera I need to upgrade. I was looking at a Canon EOS Rebel, A year old or so, but I'am now looking at Sony!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, you guys might not hear from me for a while!
I just got the new camera and I am more than pleased with it's size and appearance, BUT
I always read the manual BEFORE I use a piece of equipment, especially electronic.
There is also the fact that I also received my brick of .22 ammo and 12ga 000 buckshot.
See you later, oh yes, the manual is over 100 pages!!!! Frank View attachment 1054852
View attachment 1054853

Seeing as how I absolutely know everything I just get the item out of the package and proceed to use. This is a great trait to have unless of course its not true. So I have to admit MANY times I've ran to the burning trash looking for the manual THAT I DIDN'T NEED!

I knew EVERYTHING even at an early age. I just skipped the learning curve thing. No sense wasting time learning. Bought a set of high dollar headers for my Dodge Dart w/340 CID engine. Brought home, emptied box, and burned the rest quickly. Figured since I knew everything I'd have these suckers on by the afternoon. Well something was "wrong with the headers" they wouldn't fit in engine compartment. I bought these Sat. morning at a speed shop and they closed at noon. Now the car is tore apart and I needed to go to work Monday morning. Got ride from a friend, called speed shop from work. "Did I read the instructions" they ask? Hell no... "I didn't need them". They say try removing motor mount from left side first and roll engine 2" upward, install left side. Repeat on right side.

See.... I didn't need the instructions. It's a living hell knowing everything!!!!!:tongue3:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of headers, the old Pace Arrow that I bought from a friend back in '06 had a set of 'ceramic headers' on it that he paid over $800 for, installed. He said they were to increase the gas mileage; but didn't. I found out later that for the increased gas mileage, the exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes needed to be increased at lease one and a half inches in diameter. I mentioned this to him about a month after I bought the RV. He called the guy up and asked why he didn't see any better gas mileage after the headers were installed. The guy told him that he didn't know why; all he knew was that the literature said they increased the mpg. The guy had no clue! I wonder if he read the instructions before he installed the headers? lol

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Frankn, getcha a photobucket account. It will even give you the code to post the original image here.

Gotta love automatic mode:

0005_zps8cea3cd2.jpg

BTW, you ever dabble in HDR photography?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Seeing as how I absolutely know everything I just get the item out of the package and proceed to use. This is a great trait to have unless of course its not true. So I have to admit MANY times I've ran to the burning trash looking for the manual THAT I DIDN'T NEED!

I knew EVERYTHING even at an early age. I just skipped the learning curve thing. No sense wasting time learning. Bought a set of high dollar headers for my Dodge Dart w/340 CID engine. Brought home, emptied box, and burned the rest quickly. Figured since I knew everything I'd have these suckers on by the afternoon. Well something was "wrong with the headers" they wouldn't fit in engine compartment. I bought these Sat. morning at a speed shop and they closed at noon. Now the car is tore apart and I needed to go to work Monday morning. Got ride from a friend, called speed shop from work. "Did I read the instructions" they ask? Hell no... "I didn't need them". They say try removing motor mount from left side first and roll engine 2" upward, install left side. Repeat on right side.

See.... I didn't need the instructions. It's a living hell knowing everything!!!!!:tongue3:

When I was a teenager I knew everything and old people had forgotten it all. Now that I am the old people, I can see the fallacy of that thinking. Hay, but now I know it all! lol Frank five star.png
111-2 700.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Speaking of headers, the old Pace Arrow that I bought from a friend back in '06 had a set of 'ceramic headers' on it that he paid over $800 for, installed. He said they were to increase the gas mileage; but didn't. I found out later that for the increased gas mileage, the exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes needed to be increased at lease one and a half inches in diameter. I mentioned this to him about a month after I bought the RV. He called the guy up and asked why he didn't see any better gas mileage after the headers were installed. The guy told him that he didn't know why; all he knew was that the literature said they increased the mpg. The guy had no clue! I wonder if he read the instructions before he installed the headers? lol

Hay, here's a good one. I am so old that when I first started to read your post, I thought it was about a car. lol Frank five star.png
111-2 700.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn, getcha a photobucket account. It will even give you the code to post the original image here.

Gotta love automatic mode:

0005_zps8cea3cd2.jpg

BTW, you ever dabble in HDR photography?

Well, I was a pro photographer and got use to storing my own images on CD's, so I have over 200 CD's chock full of thousands of images taken over the last 14 years. All before that were on film and lost when my home burned down. They are all listed in a loose-leaf binder with CD location. I don't trust the clouds!!!!! A friend had his stored at a stock sales account on the net and it folded. He lost them all.
There is also the fact that I 'enhance' my images in photoshop elements. I have to dumb them down from from 4kMP to 700MP so they will be acceptable here. Hay I love to play with them.
Frank View attachment 1056063
HAVRE DE GRACE 013-3.jpg

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chadeaux, no offense intended, but I don't like photobucket or any of the 'cloud' programs. Like Frank said, I don't trust them.
I had some pictures posted on photobucket a few years ago. I found one of those pictures on a website. Someone was using it for advertising.
I post a lot of pictures of some guns that I have on some of the gun forums. I try to be careful what I post, such as the serial numbers, etc..
Even if those serial numbers are shown, it doesn't really matter, as far as I can determine. It's kinda like my bank account number. I don't post it for anybody to see; but every time I give someone a check, they then have my bank account number!
All that said, I just don't try to expose any of my information on the net, or anywhere else, that might cause me trouble later.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Chadeaux, no offense intended, but I don't like photobucket or any of the 'cloud' programs. Like Frank said, I don't trust them.
I had some pictures posted on photobucket a few years ago. I found one of those pictures on a website. Someone was using it for advertising.
I post a lot of pictures of some guns that I have on some of the gun forums. I try to be careful what I post, such as the serial numbers, etc..
Even if those serial numbers are shown, it doesn't really matter, as far as I can determine. It's kinda like my bank account number. I don't post it for anybody to see; but every time I give someone a check, they then have my bank account number!
All that said, I just don't try to expose any of my information on the net, or anywhere else, that might cause me trouble later.

yeah, and the guys who invented the FBI virus stole one of Smee's images for their pic when you don't have a webcam ... which is actually quite funny if you knew Smee.

Doesn't make a difference where you put an image online, if someone wants it, they can (and probably will) steal it rather than paying for it.

If your images are stolen by Joe Blow for a blog ... probably not worth worrying about unless it has a person. In that case, without a model release, you own them.

Otherwise, you can go after them for copyright infringement (among other legal targets).

Me? I only put up images I can stand to part with. Otherwise I don't put them online. Why? Because they can and will be hijacked. If you don't believe me, hit <alt>+<prt scrn> on any page with an image. Open your photo editor and go to "edit" then "paste as new image". There she be. Arrrr....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I meant for those images you want to share here.

Those images are on a thumb drive that is plugged into my computer. They are already cut to 700 pictals. I just hit browse and they are all there ready to post. As I said, I don't like cloud storage. It is just more material for those that try to pick your brain. I made a comment about a new detector on here and within 1/2 hour Kellyco had an ad on my home page for that same detector. You can set a false image of yourself by searching certain subjects. lol Frank five star.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread