All ya got to do is live long enough....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This is kinda a remembering sort of thing...

You know, the mistakes we make in the past, those that maybe make it a little painful going home.... Seems like no one remembers me there, they're all gone now.

I remember those times when I was without direction. And I drive through there today and it's all gone, bulldozed and no trace left. But that was a memory, and the person I failed at the time is with whichever angels he chose to believe in.

I know that whatever life I chose to live is gone now. I apologize for the choices I made then, but it really does not matter in the physical sense - it's all gone now.

We make our mistakes along the way, some of them very significant. I certainly made mine. If I could go back in time I'd do it differently? Probably would not matter today, as we are here now.

All we today can be is who we are tomorrow...

Babbling in what I say, but who will YOU be tomorrow? I know I will continue to try to be a better person yet.

And, WHO will YOU be?

I must mention that this is courtesy of more than one sip of a fine brandy. Let us wish to be remembered as good people, and a positive passing in this world. Let them smile at our mere existence!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeepseekerADS, that's very philosophical and as close to my thoughts as could be put into words. So many regrets, so many failures; but so many happy things to remember also.
Looking back over my life, I can only hope that the mistakes I made didn't hurt as many as I'm afraid they did. Although I've been forgiven by God, I can only try to imagine how some of the people that I failed feel toward me. There's not many of them left. I have passed by way too many caskets, and missed at least as many because I didn't hear about them early enough to attend.
As for the places I lived during my 72 years, there are a few, though only a few, left where I grew up. They have been turned into everything from businesses to open fields.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
texasred, you are right on the mark! I claimed my home as a small town in North Carolina. That's where I finished high school, and returned to after the army. Ran with the wrong crowd after the war. So, I remade myself and moved away. I'd return there every few years to learn who'd passed. Of my circle of say 25 then, there's only two left alive, including me. That's a testament to "hard living". I look at the young folk today and mostly turn away. If we could just shake them awake from their bad choices. But they have to learn on their own. After all, what the heck do you and I know?

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as we all complain about the present generation, they deserve thr right to make their own way as we did, learn from the mistakes and successes....only wish they were a little less of the "me" generation.....there will be people depending on them just as they have depended on us....Gary

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
texasred, you are right on the mark! I claimed my home as a small town in North Carolina. That's where I finished high school, and returned to after the army. Ran with the wrong crowd after the war. So, I remade myself and moved away. I'd return there every few years to learn who'd passed. Of my circle of say 25 then, there's only two left alive, including me. That's a testament to "hard living". I look at the young folk today and mostly turn away. If we could just shake them awake from their bad choices. But they have to learn on their own. After all, what the heck do you and I know?

BRANDY...? DOES that...? WHOO!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, speaking of brandy, I had a bit of peach brandy last night. Quite nice for a change.
Yes, the young ones of today, I'm afraid, are going to be in much deeper 'dodo' than we ever were. The ones I'm acquainted with these last few years know nothing of 'life'. They just live 'off' Mom and Dad, play video games, talk and text on their cell phones, and keep trying to 'find' jobs. I know jobs are almost non existent here in this little town, but there are some who find work. These kids, about 8 or 10, have never had a job except one that had a job for about a month before she was 'let go'. Just what are these kids going to do after Mom and Dad are gone? I'm at a loss to even think what will happen to them.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Mistakes? I only made a couple, but in life, it all works out. Memories? My old dove hunting place is gone, but everything else here in San Antonio is still standing. Every house I lived in, every school I went to, the old fishing and swimming holes, even the restaurant where I have eaten for 60 years(I'm 66). In my head I'm 18, my body is more than 66. But life is wonderful. Still working with young people who keep me young, still hanging out with old friends and just cruising. I do have one regret though. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have voted for Obama TWICE. Maybe I need to start drinking again. Brandy sounds like a great choice.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Austin, ummm, hmmm, never mind!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope this isn't to close to political.

in 85 I think it was I found and started my first real job, at the heat treating plant. back then you open the Sunday Detroit newspaper there would be 4 full pages of general jobs listed, fast forward to right around 2000, then you were lucky if there were 10 ads total for general help wanted! why ? well NAFTA. not politics, just policy. now all them general labor jobs either went south to mexico or further, or got consolidated to where a single job title became combined into 10+ duties, and quite frankly not everybodys kids have the smarts or coordination to do skilled work. and that's the way it was, and still is. I worked through it and watched it all happen. somewhere along there came CAFTA, more policy to make more profits for somebody, certainly wasn't the workers..and now everybody old and young are paying the price, no jobs means sit on butt and play video games, or worse but that discussion is politics, and well wrong forum. if this is considered political sorry in advance.

Mike

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mike, any time someone speaks truth others will see it as politics or religion or both.

Don't sweat it. Someone will complain, the post will be edited or deleted and no one will have to look at the ugly rotting corpse that used to be a thriving economy lying in the road after the mods are done.

Be well.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wow, speaking of brandy, I had a bit of peach brandy last night. Quite nice for a change.
Yes, the young ones of today, I'm afraid, are going to be in much deeper 'dodo' than we ever were. The ones I'm acquainted with these last few years know nothing of 'life'. They just live 'off' Mom and Dad, play video games, talk and text on their cell phones, and keep trying to 'find' jobs. I know jobs are almost non existent here in this little town, but there are some who find work. These kids, about 8 or 10, have never had a job except one that had a job for about a month before she was 'let go'. Just what are these kids going to do after Mom and Dad are gone? I'm at a loss to even think what will happen to them.

8 or 10...? !!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bDEEPSEEKER ADS; Just like the old quote, "Time alone will show the true Man." Abe Lincoln.

May We all be True Men.
PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel - KGC, I'm not sure of what you're asking. As for how many kids, yes, about 8 to 10 kids. This is counting my son, 37 years old yesterday, my grandson, 20 years old, and a bunch of their friends that come over to play video games almost every weekend.
Most weekends, there are 2 to sometime 4 of them here for most of the weekend. One does work helping his dad, so has a little money occasionally. They all seem to have a buck or two for some sodas and occasionally a pizza or some tacos, etc. They would probably eat us 'out of house and home' if we offered them food. One that comes here, we'll allow to eat if he's the only visitor, because the grandson is allowed to eat when he is visiting at their house.
Mainly, there are 3 boys and 2 of their girlfriends that come over. Not all at one time, most time. lol There have been a couple of girlfriends that have been 'changed' for other girlfriends. All in all, I believe there are about 8 that I can think of that come over occasionally.
One of the 'changed' girlfriends still comes by occasionally although she was not 'affiliated' with a boy the last time she visited . She's a nice 'kid', about 21 or 22. My daughter and son-in-law both adore her. I've had several interesting conservations with her a few times. She seems pretty level headed even though she does have a learning problem.
One of the boys, the one that she went with for several years, lives about 2 blocks from us. He's also the one we allow to eat with us. He is here most weekends. If he's not here, the grandson is there, at his house. Both of them are great kids; well young men.
There was one boy we banned from coming over, about 3 years ago. He was caught a couple of times stealing my daughter's cigarettes. I don't know if that's all he took. That's all we knew about. I understand he's been in some serious trouble with the law since then.
If that answers your question, ok; if not, asked me what you want to know.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Lived in three houses during my youth. They are still there. I have been living on my farm or what is left of it now for over 40 years.

I gaze back at my past from time to time, mostly in the morning when I awake. I plan my future rather loosely because I know it is subject to change at any moment. What it boils down to is," I am what I am no mater what the time frame." Frank five star.png
Deserata-1692.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread