Should we continue the long tradition of shaking hands?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, maybe I should carry a bottle of some kinda antiseptics in my pockets for those "Post" handshake times.....

But then, just WHAT is effective? Chime in all!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't normally extend my Hand to shake.
It is just something I rarely think about.

But Do when I first meet someone and Think about it.

I would feel like I was insulting someone who extends their hand, If I refuse.

I have never felt like I needed to wash my hand after.
When it comes to shaking Hands
of other Human beings I am not a germaphobe.
or uncomfortable.

I am a germaphobe touching animals Till they are dead and the fur is removed & I'm down to the Raw Meat

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about a germaphobe! I had to give a guy a ride home from a job site. A 20 something grown man! I saw him picking his nose out the corner of my eye! I thought to myself..Where is he going to put that? He's riding in my truck so I'm a little nervous! Well.....He must have been hungry, cuz the ****** Ate it!!!! I about puked! I couldn't believe what I saw!!! I was shocked! It really messed me up!!!! Anyhow, no more rides in my truck and I'm for sure not shaking his hand!!! When I got to the shop I told the other guys and they all laughed like crazy! They have all seen this before and that's why no one else would give him a ride! The word germaphobe isn't the word for me that day!!!:laughing7:

LOL I must say Though , I have seen more Young Ladies 18 to maybe 26 do that for some reason.
some don't even try to hide it :tongue3: they just sort of pick at a Corner & slowly their fingers go to their Mouths :laughing7:
as long as they chew their meal, I guess it's ok :tongue3:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small vial of hand sanitizer. I will shake hands, while looking at the gentleman...no looking down, away etc. I live in a small town so I have already shaken..or is it shook everyone's hand. But If I drop food on the floor..I just pick it up, inspect, eat! 3 second rule? You are allowed a few more seconds if its a tri-tip sandwich or comparable eats.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hand shakes will never disappear.It has to be one of the first gestures of friendship and no harm intended towards you that there is.Shaking hands was a demonstration that you came in peace and you were unarmed

I have a small vial of hand sanitizer.

Get rid of that garbage buddy,that stuff is so bad for you,its worse than shaking hands:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small vial of hand sanitizer. I will shake hands, while looking at the gentleman...no looking down, away etc. I live in a small town so I have already shaken..or is it shook everyone's hand. But If I drop food on the floor..I just pick it up, inspect, eat! 3 second rule? You are allowed a few more seconds if its a tri-tip sandwich or comparable eats.

Yea I think that's why I don't get ill very often.
a Little dirt never hurt anyone.

when I do get ill, it is usually Blood pressure Related,
Or a spring Cold which usually lasts a few hours to a day

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have personally been promoting the fist bump.
Knowing what I know about ppl and their cleanliness practices, there are times when a hand gets extended to me, I cringe inside. So, I try to inform them, fist bump is the new thing in stopping the spread of germs/colds/flu (now I can add ebola, lol). It's been saving me, so far for the most part. LOL.

Now if all of ya'll will start promoting it, it'll save me a lot of words, having to explain...... :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the things that go through my mind instantly when someone reaches out to shake hands! I've worked all kinds of jobs and have been around just about any type of person. I've seen some nasty things. Especially on remote construction sites. Ebola will probably heighten the fear in a lot of people. I was young...But I remember something about pay phones when I was a kid. Any of you older guys know or remember what that was? Maybe Aids? I think I even remember a commercial on TV about using office phones or pay phones?

I remember seeing some People in Comedies on TV where they were afraid of Phone Germs,
But not in real life that I remember.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will never overthink the whole germ thing...I will shake hands, or fist bump, or dap up, whenever necessary, as the situation warrants. I have the ability to wash my hands, and live life without being afraid of my fellow man. If I get sick, that's what my insurance is for, and the Doctors to bail me out...If not, my family will be well taken care of.......FACT.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that's all it was...Some comedy skit that I thought was real at the time. It could have even been something they showed in school or something. I really can't remember.

Elaine on Seinfeld Rubbed her Germaphobe Co-Workers phone in her Arm Pits
& her butt :laughing7: Oh No that was A keyboard & Stapler

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still shaking hands with no fears...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always shaken hands, a good strong grip. My Daddy taught me that. There've certainly been a few times in the past when I immediately washed my hands afterwards - that limp shake, or an odd feeling I had, or they'd just walked out of the toilet. Maybe I'll carry "wipes" with me at all times now. Just a feeling I have you know.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only person I remember ever Dreading shaking hands with was when I was a Kid.
and that was The Guy Dressed as Santa
at the Firehouse around Christmas.
He always wore White Gloves that were Either Soaked through with Sweat from sitting in the Costume
all evening/Day , Or from Shaking hands with tons of snotty Nosed kids all evening/Day.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I usually shake hands on a deal, but the tradition is slowly dying. Now if the ebola problem spreads much more, I think we will see less face to face socializing. A sneeze or a cough are already getting more attention in public places. Frank five star.png

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually shake hands on a deal, but the tradition is slowly dying. Now if the ebola problem spreads much more, I think we will see less face to face socializing. A sneeze or a cough are already getting more attention in public places. Frank View attachment 1067548

I know sharing a sense of Humor publicly has to be weighed carefully these days. :(
after seeing how they treated that guy on the plane who joked about having ebola,
I've been afraid to yell Ebola in Stores & restaurants when I sneeze or Sniffle or need to blow my Nose :(

would be fun if at the checkout counter, I could Sniffle,
& say Ebola :laughing7: & expect a smile

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I too was taught to readily shake an extended hand and use a nice, firm grip. Even as a child, I was offered hands of adults to shake. I've never refused to shake anyone's hand that I can remember. I've shook some hands that I considered nasty. I would not touch any part of myself until I had thoroughly washed. I try to refrain from touching my face while out shopping, touching anything I consider unclean, or after even sneezing or coughing into my own hand, until I wash. I was never that cautious until just the last few years. There has been so many 'alerts', 'cautions', 'awareness', etc. campaigns about colds, flu, etc.; and now Ebola. I'm not really 'frightened' about touching things; but just try to be more cautious these days.
One thing that really has come to my attention these last few years: people coughing or sneezing without covering their mouth. I was taught as a child to always cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze. I very seldom noticed people not covering their mouths until the last few years. Now, it's like almost everyone I am around for any length of time coughs or sneezes without covering their mouth. Even family!
Maybe I'm just becoming an old 'picky', grouchy, grumpy person. I just seem to notice things that I never noticed before!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread