Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, coons are legal to hunt year round, as well as wild hogs, rabbits, opossums, coyote, beaver, skunk and nutria. Squirrels do have a season though.

Not the dandelion wine that my grandaddy used to make. :thumbsup:

Why the hate? You already know what they say about what comes out of Texas. Steers and what? Besides those look like Key West women, not Miami! This is Miami-

girls-at-the-south-beach.jpg

Lol, Dont get bent out of shape, Ive lived in Texas for 6 years...I was born and lived in South Florida for 29 years

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of things that I ate when younger that I haven't seen a lot of....Currant berries, paw paw,rhubarb. Down here we have muscadine That was introduced to me a few years back. I like finding those when walking in the woods in AL, I haven't found any in GA yet. I haven't explored GA enough yet.
Muscadine will be ready pretty soon, by the way, if you wondered, it takes buckets of them to make wine.

And persimmons, mm I have a couple that I have started actually taking care of. They should be ready around the time rut starts around here.

I don't have any paw paw around my place, but I have friends that do.

Walnuts, pecans, and chestnuts are dropping. ( Chinese chestnuts, I think American chestnut is about extinct?)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think American chestnut is about extinct?)

Theres one growing about three miles from my house in somebodies yard.I gathered a few up off the ground,let them dry out for a while and tried to sprout them,no success.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres one growing about three miles from my house in somebodies yard.I gathered a few up off the ground,let them dry out for a while and tried to sprout them,no success.
I have tried myself.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, the truth. I usually order my dinner delivered by a company called Eat-Out-In. Assortment of restaurants in my area with great food. No coons, squirrels or anything else wild. As for Miami, the only place I've ever been that calls GIANT roaches----Palmetto bugs. That usually takes place when one of them lands on the table at your sidewalk cafe. A giant flying roach is a giant flying roach...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dandelion - gotta pick the shoots as early as possible, right after the snow leaves in spring, less bitter.

Snapper - I've butchered dozens.

Raccoon barbecued - big at superbowl parties the last few years, especially in Detroit:tongue3:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I come from poor folks. I remember Granny made the best greens - Polk Salad! Here's a recipe I found. I'll be making some this coming Spring!

Poke Salad

How to make it

Bring the leaves to a boil in a large pot, allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
Drain the water from the pot and refill the pot with fresh water.
Bring the pot to a boil again and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. or until the leaves turn an olive green color.
Drain the leaves and rinse with cold water.
Squeeze the water from the leaves like you would do with spinach, return leaves to pot.
Pour the bacon drippings onto the leaves and add the onions.
Cover and allow to cook until the onions are very tender, then serve.
Keep the bacon for a later use in another dish of your choice.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come from poor folks. I remember Granny made the best greens - Polk Salad! Here's a recipe I found. I'll be making some this coming Spring!

Poke Salad

How to make it

Bring the leaves to a boil in a large pot, allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
Drain the water from the pot and refill the pot with fresh water.
Bring the pot to a boil again and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. or until the leaves turn an olive green color.
Drain the leaves and rinse with cold water.
Squeeze the water from the leaves like you would do with spinach, return leaves to pot.
Pour the bacon drippings onto the leaves and add the onions.
Cover and allow to cook until the onions are very tender, then serve.
Keep the bacon for a later use in another dish of your choice.

her name wasn't Annie was it ?

sorry couldn't resist .

You'd think white could spell "poke salet" :laughing7:

of course being from the north, I only knew "Poke" not "salet"

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dandelions,I saute them in butter and garlic.sometimes with crumbled up bacon.I dont cook them long at all,maybe 5 minutes if that.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up eating persimmons; and poke salet/salad. When I was born, Dad and Mom had a 99 acre farm. They had some cattle, hogs, chickens, etc.. Also Had a pear, peach, pecan, and persimmon orchard. I can remember a little about living there. We moved before I was 3. Dad used to load a trailer with the fruit and take it to the farmers' market in Waco, Texas. The last time I ate poke was in the mid 60s. My wife and I went out near where she had lived before we met. Along the road was always loaded with poke; also mustang grapes. I've probably ate close to as much poke as I have all the other greens together. I like poke, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, and spinach.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
dandelions are Grosser then most other veggies I've tried.
way too Bitter
Jest eat the leaves. They aren't bitter but they do make a good wine. Frank five star.png

I have hunted and eaten coon, squirrel and rabbit, deer ducks and geese. My favorite was hossenfeffer ( Rabbit stew) it's a bit of work making it, but worth it. Here's one you might have to think about, but I liked it,( smoked eel). Crabs has always been a favorite with me since I spent a good deal of time fishing and crabbing in my youth. I don't like raw oysters, but I love smoked oysters. Frank five star.png
111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We use to catch fresh water eel when we went catfish fishing when I lived in NH.We kept them and cooked them up on the grill,excellent stuff.An easy way to clean eel is you beat the tail on a rock and the skin will start to fray,once that happens you can peel the whole skin of like a glove.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Dandelion - gotta pick the shoots as early as possible, right after the snow leaves in spring, less bitter.

Snapper - I've butchered dozens.

Raccoon barbecued - big at superbowl parties the last few years, especially in Detroit:tongue3:

HA! My dad made Dandelion Wine, once. It was GOOD!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
now that you mention it I think I heard the words "rhubarb pie" in an old movie one Time.
I just looked Google says vegetable. vegetable pies sort of sound Bad like Meat Pies to Me.
only thing that makes sense to me in pies is fruit :tongue3:

Well, John Fogarty (CCR), wrote a song Rhubarb Pie; HE musta liked 'em...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions