NJ man accused of eating raccoons

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
NJ man accused of eating raccoons - New York News

OCEAN TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say a Monmouth County man illegally trapped and ate raccoons and squirrels.

Police have charged Aleksandr Borykan, 30 of Ocean Township with animal cruelty. The state also charged him with illegal use of a leg hold trap, hunting without a license and hunting out of season.

Detective Lt. Kevin Faller tells the Asbury Park Press a resident in the townhouse complex where Borykan lives reported finding animal carcasses.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This wouldn't be no story at all if he lived in the south, say Texas to the Carolinas(exceptin Florida). Hell, he'd be a gourmet...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I ever get hungry enough, unless it can write me a note saying Not Me,
or shake it's head No, and mean no.
ain't no animal with Red Blood in it
I won't cook up & eat.

I don't think I'd ever go Cannibal :tongue3: and at this point the thought
of Bugs, & Small reptiles seem Grose & worse then Greens & other Vegies.
but as Red James says Hunger could change things :laughing7:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know? After reading this thread....I'm looking out the window at this cute little fuzzy squirrel eating the birds food! I'm kinda wanting to cook him up!:laughing7: I'm thinking if I use a big enough gun,, I could clean him all in one shot!:laughing7:

should get at least 2 sandwiches from it :tongue3:

& go great with Beer :occasion14:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah you make a stew,dandelions(every part is edible),inner bark of a birch tree,cattail roots and acorns.

dandelions are Grosser then most other veggies I've tried.
way too Bitter

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know some places have season on male squirrels only!!

Nope.

Not even sure if there is a squirrel season at all here (small game Maybe ? ) I'm not a hunter.
& haven't had Squirrel (Tree Rat) since I was a Kid.

But in all honesty all year would be squirrel season if I was hungry & had a gun handy.

I know they good eating .

People certainly don't shoot so many to Mount them
or make danial boone hats

what amount Chip Monks though ? would take a handfull for a sandwich.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
way too Bitter

:laughing9:You have to soak them in a couple of changes of water,rinse them off real good.Like acorns,you can eat them only after you soak the tannin out of them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9:You have to soak them in a couple of changes of water,rinse them off real good.Like acorns,you can eat them only after you soak the tannin out of them.

as a Kid, I chewed on the inside of Acorns, Don't remember a Bad taste

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in case you ever have to know....The females won't have any nuts!

Well...Unless you are in Miami

miami_beach_beauties.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
as a Kid, I chewed on the inside of Acorns, Don't remember a Bad taste

Acorns have a very high concentration of tannin in them.If you had to eat them in large amounts(survival situation)because theyre the only thing available.They have to be prepared.Large amounts of tannin can keep your body from digesting food.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite Snacks that grow outside are

Tea Berries, Blue berries & black berries. wild Crab apples are OK when I can find ones that aren't
eaten by Disease but like wild pear trees not allot around here any more.

I was detecting a Ballfield, Last year I think. and there was a little girl following me around talking up a storm
10ish I'd guess. she started eating pokeweed berries. I tried to warn her they were poison,
but you know kids, they know better :tongue3: hopefully she's ok.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres very few rules when you havent eaten in a week or two or three.I love it when people say I'd die before I ate that,that just tells you they have never gone hungry for a period of time:laughing7:I read the biography about this woman,amazing stuff.

Mary Draper Ingles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red, I live there right now! Within one mile from here is where she was found after her escape. Check out Pembroke & Eggleston, Virginia!

However, one month to do on my lease here, and I am Stuart bound :)

And, then I will be free - and ISOLATED from the manure of the world....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of things that I ate when younger that I haven't seen a lot of....Currant berries, paw paw,rhubarb. Down here we have muscadine That was introduced to me a few years back. I like finding those when walking in the woods in AL, I haven't found any in GA yet. I haven't explored GA enough yet.

Only one of them I heard of is paw paw but even that is so rare I only ever seen a very small
paw paw tree someone bought , but I don't think it survived our winters.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather use to find them when we were hunting in Southern Ohio.. Maybe, they were something else? It was a thing that kind of tastes like a banana.
The rest of that stuff I mentioned was stuff that grew around the house they used in pies. Some of it wild too. Prob carried to the surrounding woods by birds from gardens.

now that you mention it I think I heard the words "rhubarb pie" in an old movie one Time.
I just looked Google says vegetable. vegetable pies sort of sound Bad like Meat Pies to Me.
only thing that makes sense to me in pies is fruit :tongue3:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way too Bitter

Dandelions and squirrel, with a dash of tabasco is excellent. Gotta have salt though!

Lets say you are in the wild and you have a squirrel, or squirrels are plentiful, but regular food of any kind is not. Here's a good recipe that I have had many times while learning survivalism techniques.

Pick some good acorns - no worms or rot. Shell them. Chop the meats up into 1/4" chunks. Boil in water and change the water 4-5 times. You'll know when they are okay to eat when they dont taste too bitter anymore. Dry them in the sun.

Cleanly dress your squirrel. Keep the head if you like the brain. If you have some kind of fat, use it, otherwise just fry it along with some dandelions and add the acorns. I just stew it all up, and the acorns make a nice medium-bodied broth. You can add some common sorrel near the end for a little tartness, or maybe even a rose hip. Sustaining and good. By the way, this recipe also works good with turtles.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dandelions and squirrel, with a dash of tabasco is excellent. Gotta have salt though!

Lets say you are in the wild and you have a squirrel, or squirrels are plentiful, but regular food of any kind is not. Here's a good recipe that I have had many times while learning survivalism techniques.

Pick some good acorns - no worms or rot. Shell them. Chop the meats up into 1/4" chunks. Boil in water and change the water 4-5 times. You'll know when they are okay to eat when they dont taste too bitter anymore. Dry them in the sun.

Cleanly dress your squirrel. Keep the head if you like the brain. If you have some kind of fat, use it, otherwise just fry it along with some dandelions and add the acorns. I just stew it all up, and the acorns make a nice medium-bodied broth. You can add some common sorrel near the end for a little tartness, or maybe even a rose hip. Sustaining and good. By the way, this recipe also works good with turtles.

I had snapper Soup once. unfortunately the person who cooked it only had one Snapper,
And there was a Large amount of us at a Party who all wanted a taste. So the meat was sparse ,
But totally different. First & only Time I had reptile. I think Turtle is reptile :dontknow:
but it was good

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wouldn't be no story at all if he lived in the south, say Texas to the Carolinas(exceptin Florida). Hell, he'd be a gourmet...
Nope, coons are legal to hunt year round, as well as wild hogs, rabbits, opossums, coyote, beaver, skunk and nutria. Squirrels do have a season though.

way too Bitter
Not the dandelion wine that my grandaddy used to make. :thumbsup:

Well...Unless you are in Miami

View attachment 1067686
Why the hate? You already know what they say about what comes out of Texas. Steers and what? Besides those look like Key West women, not Miami! This is Miami-

girls-at-the-south-beach.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions