8-legged menace causes crash

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
8-legged menace causes crash - New York News

It’s likely that Thomas A. Buchko of Manchester feels some kinship with with Little Miss Muffett, after his experience Tuesday afternoon.

Buchko, 41, was minding his own business, driivng along Ridgeway Boulevard about 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday when a large spider decided it was going to plop down beside him in the truck.

There was just one problem. Instead of dropping beside Buchko, the spider dropped down right in front of Buchko’s face.

(Admit it. You‘ve got the willies just reading that.)

According to a news release from Manchester Police Capt. Lisa Parker, Buchko swatted at the spider and in the process lost control of his pickup truck, which hit a utility pole, breaking it.

Buchko suffered an eye injury when the airbag deployed but was otherwise unhurt, according to the release. He was out of the truck by the time Manchester Patrolmen Michael Lynch and Robert Maccaquano arrived, and was treated at the scene for swelling around his right eye by the Manchester First Aid, but refused further treatment, Parker said. He was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

Ridgeway Boulevard has been reopened since the crash near the River Point adult community. The roadway was closed between closed between Route 547 and Route 571 while Jersey Central Power and Light secured the broken pole, Parker said.

There was no word on the fate of the spider.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol for some reason I have a weak Memory that this may have happened to me already.

The Spider. not The Wreck part.

(My car was infested with Spiders When I bought it.
I would always see spiders in it. that is until recently.
They don't bother me mentally, too much. Only the Big Meaty looking ones)

I know I have had plastic Grocery bags blow into my Face already from the window open
& the wind catching them the right way.

and also bees dive bombing my Face. But again not a wreck.

the story Reminds me of the kid in the Movie "We're the Milller's" Though.

I can't post that YouTube vid here but it can be found
by googling
"We're The Millers - Spider bite I Tarantula bite I UNCENSORED (HD)"

Last edited:

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a turkey fly in my open window once. Turkey poop everywhere

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did it taste? An old Girlfriend had a horse come throught the passenger side window ooooh my.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, what some memories these stories bring back!
I was driving on a two lane highway, kept feeling something touching, kinda tickling the back of my neck. I brushed at it a couple of times. Kept driving. Then I felt it again and knew that something was on the back of my collar and touching my neck at times. I pulled over, got out of the pickup, looked in the mirror, saw a large spider, and knocked if off of my collar. I've often wondered what would have happened if it had got down the back of my shirt! Yes, that gives my the 'willies' big time!
My sis bought a 1957 Chevy that had been sitting in an empty lot for several months. She drove to my house. My wife, her brother, her dad, our two girls, and I all got into the car. Sis drove up the road about a mile and back, pulled back into the driveway, and we started getting out. I don't know if my father-in-law kicked the back of the front seat or what, but suddenly bumblebees started coming out from under it! We all got out quickly! No one got stung. We sprayed the car and then ran a hose from an exhaust pipe into the car with all of the windows up except one. The bees left.
I stopped at a little convenience store one evening, just before dark. As I was checking out, a 1964 Chevy pulled in, and the driver came into the store. The clerk and I could see bits of glass on his clothes. When we looked at the car, the windshield was badly broken. It was sunk in probably 3 inches from about the center to the edge of the passenger side. The guy said he hit a turkey that flew across the road!
In the late 1950s, a horse that was being loaded into a trailer after a rodeo got loose. He ran down the street and was hit by a car. The horse went through the windshield killing the man and woman in the front seat. Their daughter, in the back seat was only slightly injured.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like spiders!!! Snakes I can deal with. Was bitten by a copperhead at age 12, got me on the knee while I was squatting down fixing the chicken lot fence. Luckily I was wearing brand spanking new jeans which hadn't been washed yet - bulletproof! I felt the strike, like getting hit with a pin. Saw the copperhead and rolled backwards away from it. I ran up to the house hollering Mama, Mama! They took me to the hospital, got a shot and observation and sent me home. Had a big stain on my jeans which went kinda crusty where the jeans caught all the venom. Only had a tiny puncture mark on my knee. I was one lucky little boy!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Goliath Encounter: Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist in Rainforest

Goliath Encounter: Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist in Rainforest

theraphosa4.jpg

The South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi) is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Its legs can reach up to one foot (30 centimeters) and it can weight up to 6 oz. (170 grams).

Piotr Naskrecki was taking a nighttime walk in a rainforest in Guyana, when he heard rustling as if something were creeping underfoot. When he turned on his flashlight, he expected to see a small mammal, such as a possum or a rat.

"When I turned on the light, I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing," said Naskrecki, an entomologist and photographer at Harvard University's Museum of Comparative Zoology.

A moment later, he realized he was looking not at a brown, furry mammal, but an enormous, puppy-size spider.

Known as the South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi), the colossal arachnid is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Itsleg span can reach up to a foot (30 centimeters), or about the size of "a child's forearm," with a body the size of "a large fist," Naskrecki told Live Science. And the spider can weigh more than 6 oz. (170 grams) — about as much as a young puppy, the scientist wrote on his blog. [See Photos of the Goliath Birdeater Spider]

Some sources say the giant huntsman spider, which has a larger leg span, is bigger than the birdeater. But the huntsman is much more delicate than the hefty birdeater — comparing the two would be "like comparing a giraffe to an elephant," Naskrecki said.

The birdeater's enormity is evident from the sounds it makes. "Its feet have hardened tips and claws that produce a very distinct, clicking sound, not unlike that of a horse's hooves hitting the ground," he wrote, but "not as loud."

Prickly hairs and 2-inch fangs

When Naskrecki approached the imposing creature in the rainforest, it would rub its hind legs against its abdomen. At first, the scientist thought the behavior was "cute," he said, but then he realized the spider was sending out a cloud of hairs with microscopic barbs on them. When these hairs get in the eyes or other mucous membranes, they are "extremely painful and itchy," and can stay there for days, he said. [Creepy-Crawly Gallery: See Spooky Photos of Spiders]

But its prickly hairs aren't the birdeater's only line of defense; it also sports a pair of 2-inch-long (5 centimeters) fangs. Although the spider's bite is venomous, it's not deadly to humans. But it would still be extremely painful, "like driving a nail through your hand," Naskrecki said.

And the eight-legged beast has a third defense mechanism up its hairy sleeve. The hairs on the front of the spider's body have tiny hooks and barbs that make a hissing sound when they rub against each other, "sort of like pulling Velcro apart," Naskrecki said.

Yet despite all that, the spider doesn't pose a threat to humans. Even if it bites you, "a chicken can probably do more damage," Naskrecki said.

Bird eater or mostly harmless?

Despite its name, the birdeater doesn't usually eat birds, although it is certainly capable of killing small mammals. "They will essentially attack anything that they encounter," Naskrecki said.

The spider hunts in leaf litter on the ground at night, so the chances of it encountering a bird are very small, he said. However, if it found a nest, it could easily kill the parents and the chicks, he said, adding that the spider species has also been known to puncture and drink bird eggs.

The spider will eat frogs and insects, but its main prey is actually earthworms, which come out at night when it's humid. "Earthworms are very nutritious," Naskrecki said.

Birdeaters are not very common spiders. "I've been working in the tropics in South America for many, many years, and in the last 10 to 15 years, I only ran across the spider three times," Naskrecki.

After catching the specimen he found in Guyana, which was female, Naskrecki took her back to his lab to study. She's now deposited in a museum.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So much for manliness - I'd soil myself....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread