Oregon Vikings off topic.... free for all thread!

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great project Kevin.... And good job thus far buddy. Looks great. Are ya gonna keep it or turn it?

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great project Kevin.... And good job thus far buddy. Looks great. Are ya gonna keep it or turn it?

I installed the bridge and threw a set of strings on it....it's a keeper! GREAT neck! It's not a high resell/resale :dontknow: guitar anyway, and kinda rare.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sorry.
They made hot chicks....not hot?
Actors!! heh

I fired up my kramer baretta...played along with Pantera, cematary gates.
Well...I see now why I'm not in Pantera! View attachment 1068777
no pics or vids of my guit tar playin....
Unless...
20 bucks!

Okay,

So, even with our little go rounds, I think I am liking you more and more! Anybody that likes (and at least tries to play) Pantera/Down can't be THAT BAD! HAHAHA I have known Phil Anselmo since 7th Grade. We both went to C.L. Ganus HS in New Orleans (he was a couple of years younger than me). It will come as no surprise that he got kicked out and went to Grace King HS (I think that's where he graduated). After he OD'd, he moved from New Orleans to Austin, Tx.

I used to manage a couple of underground night clubs in the French Quarter. Regulars were Marilyn Manson (whole band), Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity), Mike Scaccia (Rigor Mortis), Lenny Kravits, Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction), Garry Gennaro (Graveyard Rodeo and pen pals with John Wayne Gayce before he was put down), and a ton more I can't think of now.

I love it here in SoCal, but I really miss the French Quarter sometimes.

Mike

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,

So, even with our little go rounds, I think I am liking you more and more! Anybody that likes (and at least tries to play) Pantera/Down can't be THAT BAD! HAHAHA I have known Phil Anselmo since 7th Grade. We both went to C.L. Ganus HS in New Orleans (he was a couple of years younger than me). It will come as no surprise that he got kicked out and went to Grace King HS (I think that's where he graduated). After he OD'd, he moved from New Orleans to Austin, Tx.

I used to manage a couple of underground night clubs in the French Quarter. Regulars were Marilyn Manson (whole band), Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity), Mike Scaccia (Rigor Mortis), Lenny Kravits, Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction), Garry Gennaro (Graveyard Rodeo and pen pals with John Wayne Gayce before he was put down), and a ton more I can't think of now.

I love it here in SoCal, but I really miss the French Quarter sometimes.

Mike

Some of those "groups" are kinda on the wild side....dontja think?:laughing7:

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a call...Guy says...Les Paul has intonation problems.
Rather as I did in the past, and ask...do you know how to....
I just tell him to bring it over.
Hmmmmmm
problem solved! Older ABR- or TOM bridge (or Gotoh brand....) is a bit....wider. Giving the option for better adjustment!
Old bridge.....right.
New bridge....left!

DSCN0235.JPG

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Viking I don't know hardly a damn thing about guitars but my old guitarist (from past band) and you would get along GREAT!!!!!! He buys, rebuilds and sells guitars also.... Brad

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
RustyGold. Do you have any experience/heard any thing about the "Tusq" Nuts/saddles? I have heard they are the best, but you are an expert luthier/guitar builder so.... reviewshttp://graphtech.com/
These will be first. product-detail

String Saver Originals are made entirely of our String Saver material and give you a more balanced tone than steel saddles. On first listen, some people believe that the top end has gone away. All that is missing is the 2KHz spike; what's added opens up a whole new world of sonic possibilities! Once your ears get used to the new sound, you will start to hear all the added harmonic content that String Saver Saddles reveal.

I think they are a great replacement. They are clear in tone and saves the need to shape and file them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy asked me this evening......can you fix this?:BangHead:

DSCN0238.JPG

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he had all the pieces, I would have tried....glue now days is wicked strong!
I did get the body that this neck was attached to....and I have a neck for it!:headbang:
My wife asked...how many guitars do you need?
I told her, I'll let you know.........:laughing7:

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed this one OV! Wow! Slash!

Did you watch the entire video? Who knew Drew Cary knew that many Ax slingers!!!

Bro....when I get ready to do a fret level....should I use a notched straightedge to determine if the neck is straight?
I know you adjust the truss rod to get the neck straight before a fret level/dress. If you use a regular un notched straight edge ...A high or low fret could cause an incorrect assessment.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, the reverse can be true when using a solid straight edge, as it helps the assessment of too high, too low frets.

As you know, All necks need relief at the 12th fret (a slight bend where the fingerboard slants forward) when set up properly.

Using a bonafide straightedge on the frets will tell you where one or two frets are high.
Those will be the frets that need attention first. Files those down on the crown to lower, then reshape frets to match originals.
This will save you a lot of time.

As for the frets that are too low, pull them out then replace with matching fret wire then file to match the existing frets.
This will sharpen your lutherie skills without making a mistake and having to redo all of them.

Usually, a simple leveling of the frets only takes a few strokes.
Otherwise it can become a nightmare of over flattened crowns resulting in the neck needing a complete re-fret.

Other than making sure that the neck relief at the 12th fret is correct prior to any fret work, that should do it.
All questions on lutherie techniques have been answered on the internet but if you get into a bind give me a call.

Best of luck Viking!

Rusty
Isn't Drew a guitar player himself? I think he is?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The three Colonel Sanders.

First we have Darrell Hammond of SNL fame.

Next...Norm MacDonald...also SNL alumni.

Then we get Jim Gaffigan, another comedian.

KFC waits 21 years to bring back the Colonel, then in a year or so...three different ones!!:BangHead:
I'll bet the KFC employees are confused....:laughing7:

Really?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny to see how commercials have changed over the years... :laughing7:
Some of the Ronald Mcdonald look creepy now when watching them! :laughing7: