Oregon Vikings off topic.... free for all thread! - Page 34
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
Like Tree441Likes

Thread: Oregon Vikings off topic.... free for all thread!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19993 times
    A recurve shooter borrowed one of my detectors for a "lost" arrow.
    Shaft within a shaft.
    Yeah ,it was a heavy one. It and others built like it packed a wallop.

In the cross-bow world I've dipped a toe in ,weight through inserts and heavy shafts turn out some needless to say heavy arrows.
    Biggest game sees their use.
    Oregon Viking likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11686 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitool View Post
    The bottom arrow (rebar) will be the most accurate when cut to proper length, bow tuned properly and rest dialed in. See if you can put just 3 "rebar" arrows into a 3" circle at 20 yds. every time. They will be the easier to shoot. Speed is not a friend unless someone has somewhat mastered form and execution first. 300 FPS is about 200MPH @ point blank range (if I remember right). Corrections during and/or imperfections in form / execution will greatly show up with speed.

Putting a heavy slow arrow into just a 3" target @ 20 yds. @ a 80 - 90% rate would be the start to even thinking about speed shooting. But hell I admit (again) I'm probably way behind today's shooting mentality. I haven't shot a local, state, national or world class tournament since 93'. I'd like to see or learn why speed is better and I truly mean this.
    "Speed is not a friend unless someone has somewhat mastered form and execution first. 300 FPS is about 200MPH @ point blank range (if I remember right). Corrections during and/or imperfections in form / execution will greatly show up with speed."

If corrections in form/execution greatly show up with speed....then it seems to me shooting a fast arrow you will learn faster!!!!
    I'm not going to jump on the speed way of thinking. I will try various arrows, and different releases. If after a while I can finger shoot more accurately then with a release... well.. I will also try different rests, as I have them all except a fall away. I tried one didn't like it.

When I hunted, used an old bow, shot with fingers and used uncut aluminum arrows I never had a miss. Of course I would get as close as possible. I'am now stepping in to the 21st century and will see what the new technology will do for me.
    RustyGold likes this.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6175 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitool View Post
    The bottom arrow (rebar) will be the most accurate when cut to proper length, bow tuned properly and rest dialed in. See if you can put just 3 "rebar" arrows into a 3" circle at 20 yds. every time. They will be the easier to shoot. Speed is not a friend unless someone has somewhat mastered form and execution first. 300 FPS is about 200MPH @ point blank range (if I remember right). Corrections during and/or imperfections in form / execution will greatly show up with speed.

Putting a heavy slow arrow into just a 3" target @ 20 yds. @ a 80 - 90% rate would be the start to even thinking about speed shooting. But hell I admit (again) I'm probably way behind today's shooting mentality. I haven't shot a local, state, national or world class tournament since 93'. I'd like to see or learn why speed is better and I truly mean this.
    I've always been much more concerned with the arrow arriving at the
    exact spot I want it to..how fast it got there was much less of a concern.

Had a couple of archery sensei's when I was much younger. Fellow by
    the name of Shig Honda got me dialed in with my first compound bow
    (a Hoyt Rambo). Then, a few years later when I switched over to
    traditional archery I ran into Duke Savora (old style broadhead maker)
    and he taught me some of the techniques he had learned while he
    was in Japan in his youth.

Both of 'em were real characters, but demanding when it came to
    flingin' arrows. Both gone now, but I've done my best to pass on
    what they taught me to younger shooters.

Used to shop at Northwest Archery back when it was in Normandy
    Park, WA. Stopped by one day and Glenn St. Charles and his son
    Jay helped me build a Northwestern Yew longbow. That was a real
    honor, and had both of them sign the bow before I left the shop
    that day. Still have that bow, and every year I pull it out and give
    it another couple coats of Hoppe's. It's got a bit of handshock,
    but that is only due to my lousy tillering..
    Last edited by DizzyDigger; Aug 05, 2018 at 11:07 PM.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6271 times
    Metal Detecting
    "I've always been much more concerned with the arrow arriving at the exact spot I want it to..how fast it got there was much less of a concern."

Mike.... I can't preach this mentally enough because once you know how to do THAT eventually ("exact spot")... then speed can be entertained. But I'm way behind the times now.
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1969 View Post
    okay..random amazing video time..leave it to the Russians, go BIG, or go home! the biggest airplane on the planet! makes a airbus a380 look like a toy.
    Enjoy best with good headphones or good speakers/subwoofer.

The Antonov an-225

Interesting facts, the 225 has a wingspan of 290 feet! its length is 276 feet! its cargo capacity is 250 tons! fully loaded its overall weight is somewhere around 1.4 Million pounds!.
    each of its 6 engines produce 51,590 pounds of thrust for a total of 309,540 pounds of thrust!

OK one more video, my favorite of it.

BC
    This reminds me of going to Mo-Kan drag races in the eighties. The big finale was a couple of jet engine powered drag cars. Basically frames with a jet engine stuck on. You could stand about fifteen feet away behind a chain link fence next to these things as they staged,which is where my nephew and I stood,of course. The sound went through your chest and felt like you were getting chain sawed inside out.
    Car alarms were going off behind us. Awesome sound and fury.
    RustyGold and Oregon Viking like this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11686 times
    Burnouts!!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firebird 001.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	1718453
    GB1 and RustyGold like this.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    11686 times

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    11686 times

Name:	firebird 002.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	1756609

Name:	firebird 001.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	1756610

It has been reported that the Oregon Viking can't keep his size 15 foot atta the throttle! Small town, been here since 1969. Wifey says ... you get a ticket ... then a bunch of stuff I can't post!

I will post a power braked smokey burnout as soon as I learn to use the timer/video of my camera.

2.25 exhaust and restrictive Y pipe gone. I will keep the cat but it will be sitting on a shelf in the garage, smog removed.
    A few minor TBI enhancements, mainly to fix the restrictions.
    VaRoom!
    Last edited by Oregon Viking; Sep 27, 2019 at 01:36 AM.
    BC1969 and Msbeepbeep like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9774 times
    Hiya Viking!
    Nice ride!
    Oregon Viking likes this.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links