Oregon Vikings off topic.... free for all thread!

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! I'm a carpenter, licensed bonded & insured contractor. So......the jobs in Oregon...right?:dontknow:
:laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm none of the above! But I do have a 20lb sledge and a giant prybar. Hammers fix anything! Electronics, cars,houses,etc.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a carpenter that's reasonable, but to hell with Craigslist...any ideas ? Maybe I could barter with a detectorist, trade some detectors for some labor.

Mike

Great! I'm a carpenter, licensed bonded & insured contractor. So......the jobs in Oregon...right?:dontknow:
:laughing7:

I'm none of the above! But I do have a 20lb sledge and a giant prybar. Hammers fix anything! Electronics, cars,houses,etc.......

Somehow I don't think either one of us are helping BC much.:laughing7:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Standard Arkansas toolbag:

• Hammer
  • Pliers
  • Screwdriver
  • Duct tape

Same for all professions ... carpenter, mechanic, doctor, moonshiner.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hammer is a great adjusting tool. Sometimes cell phones,appliances, computers..need a little adjusting! Lock keys in the car? Just adjust the window!

Not that I'm a violent person...

Example!! I drive 12 hours to hook up with old friends to do a job the next morning.Stay with grandmother. I wake up dead tired, running around looking for my bag of clothes, keys. can't find anything. It's getting down to,,, time to go! I go out, keys locked in truck, clothes on back seat, first day on this job. What do you do? Pick the least expensive, and easiest to replace window!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just need somebody to install new door jambs. I get frustrated very easily, and that's bad because I'll fly into a uncontrollable rage..not sure why, always been that way, I'd end up destroying something.

Mike

I understand! I'm usually pretty patient. I did a couple of doors and went nuts! I want stuff perfect. With doors it doesn't happen. Throw the level away when it comes to door jams!! It will only mess you up! It did me! lmao Nothing is level. I wanted the gap to be perfect the whole way around the door. Played with shims for hours! Put a million of them the whole way around the jam with screws. The first winter? Couldn't open the door! lmao

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just need somebody to install new door jambs. I get frustrated very easily, and that's bad because I'll fly into a uncontrollable rage..not sure why, always been that way, I'd end up destroying something.

Mike

I understand! I'm usually pretty patient. I did a couple of doors and went nuts! I want stuff perfect. With doors it doesn't happen. Throw the level away when it comes to door jams!! It will only mess you up! It did me! lmao Nothing is level. I wanted the gap to be perfect the whole way around the door. Played with shims for hours! Put a million of them the whole way around the jam with screws. The first winter? Couldn't open the door! lmao

Doors, as well as finish work, crown molding, baseboard is my fav!! In fact you could say

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like trim work and building stuff. I'm not the fastest at it sometimes. Sometimes I overkill when I build stuff too. I tore out a landing at the last house I was living at. It was ruined from water and a dog we had. It started out as "I'm just going to fix the floor." Next thing you know, I had the floor frame and steps tore out laying in a pile out the back door. From our kitchen there was a door, 5 steps down, a landing and off of it a outside door to the drive and steps to the basement. This was all made out 2x4's and 1x6. By the time I was done I had 2x10's, 10 on center, oak tongue and grove flooring, oak steps, and all the trim. Took me forever! The steps alone were a nightmare for me to figure out, trying to get them to work out right and land where I wanted them to and still be level. It was the first time I had done anything like that and didn't want any gaps anywhere. lol She had to go up and down a ladder to do clothes for a week or two until I had time to get to it. open the kitchen door and a huge hole to the basement. lol urethaned it all and sanded a few times and you could have dropped a safe on that thing, nothing was moving or flexing at all!

Not to mention,,,,you could not pound a nail in any of the existing wood! It was as hard as concrete, bend nails or split it to pieces. I had to drill everything before I nailed to it.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like trim work and building stuff. I'm not the fastest at it sometimes. Sometimes I overkill when I build stuff too. I tore out a landing at the last house I was living at. It was ruined from water and a dog we had. It started out as "I'm just going to fix the floor." Next thing you know, I had the floor frame and steps tore out laying in a pile out the back door. From our kitchen there was a door, 5 steps down, a landing and off of it a outside door to the drive and steps to the basement. This was all made out 2x4's and 1x6. By the time I was done I had 2x10's, 10 on center, oak tongue and grove flooring, oak steps, and all the trim. Took me forever! The steps alone were a nightmare for me to figure out, trying to get them to work out right and land where I wanted them to and still be level. It was the first time I had done anything like that and didn't want any gaps anywhere. lol She had to go up and down a ladder to do clothes for a week or two until I had time to get to it. open the kitchen door and a huge hole to the basement. lol urethaned it all and sanded a few times and you could have dropped a safe on that thing, nothing was moving or flexing at all!

Not to mention,,,,you could not pound a nail in any of the existing wood! It was as hard as concrete, bend nails or split it to pieces. I had to drill everything before I nailed to it.

Steps are fun huh? like these? Stairs-Stringer-Riser-Tread.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steps are fun huh? like these? View attachment 1081580

Yes, after three tries and ruined wood. I had to resort to...call a friend. He copied instructions out of a book he had and gave them to me. lol Because of just taking everything out, when I rebuilt there was a different height. They also couldn't stick past the 90 deg, turn to the basement steps. Anyhow, I got it. they were all the same rise, tread,and level. But it took me a long time! lol

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, after three tries and ruined wood. I had to resort to...call a friend. He copied instructions out of a book he had and gave them to me. lol Because of just taking everything out, when I rebuilt there was a different height. They also couldn't stick past the 90 deg, turn to the basement steps. Anyhow, I got it. they were all the same rise, tread,and level. But it took me a long time! lol

stairstringerguidedsci0459sm.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions