All Treasure Hunting
today on Bourbon Street

1414511913680_65.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is it crossing the road?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this person a criminal who hasn't figured out the dates of Mardi Gras?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is this person a criminal who hasn't figured out the dates of Mardi Gras?

Dave, apparently you've never been to my home town. Anything can be an excuse to dress up in costume or otherwise party and pass a good time.

It's a different place where you can attend a funeral for someone you don't know just because you like to dance to the music.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, apparently you've never been to my home town. Anything can be an excuse to dress up in costume or otherwise party and pass a good time.

It's a different place where you can attend a funeral for someone you don't know just because you like to dance to the music.

I think when I finally hit the big party, I may want my service held there too.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Read not too long ago about some folks there having their wakes while they're still alive.

Others have made arrangements that when they passed their remains would be posed at a table or bar in the manner they would be when alive ... and the wake would take place around them.

I know I posted links to the pre-death wake, here's a link to one of the ladies attending her wake after she passed (the corpse is the one with the beer in front of her):

Dead People Get Life-Like Poses at Their Funerals - ABC News

wgno_funeral_kb_140613_16x9_992.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've never been in Person Myself, But just from Looking in on Bourbon street
via EarthCam occasionally It's obviously the Coolest City(town/street) I'm aware of :laughing7:

Only Problem Where do you swing a Detector ? It seems to be all
Cement & Buildings

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
via EarthCam occasionally It's obviously the Coolest City(town/street) I'm aware of :laughing7:

Cement & Buildings

Graveyard in French Quarters... at NIGHT! Halloween is a GREAT time to go! HH! Good Luck!
Ppl throw coins, etc on graves to keep "spirits" HAPPY!

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Cement & Buildings

As are most cities. Believe it or not there are forts, large place called "City Park", private residences that have been there since the 1700s, even a building on Royal Street built in the 18th century that recently collapsed might afford the discriminating (sleuthy) detectorist the opportunity for a bit of relic hunting.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Graveyard in French Quarters... at NIGHT! Halloween is a GREAT time to go! HH! Good Luck!
Ppl throw coins, etc on graves to keep "spirits" HAPPY!

Not a good idea for a tourist, because of the living things that prowl the cemeteries at night.

2 things I never did: Visit cemeteries on Halloween or try to retrieve doubloons on the ground at Mardi Gras.

Oh, and Jeff, the uptown area has banquets (you northerners might call them sidewalks) which usually has a grassy area on the street side. Lots of old mansions in various states of disrepair along with the showcase pieces.

If nothing else, it's a feast for the eyes. Also, look up Rennwaggen on these forums. Not here on the forum any more ... He's gone partying.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read not too long ago about some folks there having their wakes while they're still alive.

Others have made arrangements that when they passed their remains would be posed at a table or bar in the manner they would be when alive ... and the wake would take place around them.

I know I posted links to the pre-death wake, here's a link to one of the ladies attending her wake after she passed (the corpse is the one with the beer in front of her):

Dead People Get Life-Like Poses at Their Funerals - ABC News

wgno_funeral_kb_140613_16x9_992.jpg

Wow! that is Creepy

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wakes were important in the days of leaded pewter. Some people appeared dead from lead poisoning but recovered in a day or two.
A fear of reawakening in a coffin surely contributed to having wakes. A body was cleaned and dressed, often in an outfit that had been put aside for that occasion, some people had their coffin stored under their beds for years as a sort of insurance policy and when self built was to their own standards.
Sitting up with the dead through the night. Singing, friends and family getting together, a meal when affordable. With folks having to travel to visit pre auto the second night may have been an occurrence.
Now it is a time to get together and celebrate a life that has passed.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope this isn't too far off subject. In 1955, my dad bought an old house in the country. It had no running water, a two-holer out back, a fireplace in the living room was the only source for heating; just 5 rooms. Dad had a propane tank installed for a gas range for cooking, bought a wood-burning stove for heat in the bedrooms, and had a company clean out the well that the windmill pumped water from. After the well was cleaned and repaired, the windmill would not work and wasn't worth repairing; but the main problem was the water wasn't fit to drink. So Dad 'hauled' water for the duration of the 6 months we lived there. There was a cistern house in the back. It had a large cistern (tank) inside of a lattice-work sided building. The house had gutters all around that drained into the tank. No, we didn't drink the water!
Now, to tell the story. An old man who drank quite a bit, lived there before he died. He had a coffin in the cistern house. He was always getting drunk and telling the world good bye, and falling into the coffin to sleep off the liquor. This was a true story evidently, because it was told by a lot of people that knew him. Even the insurance man who stopped by to collect money from him when he fell behind on his monthly payments told us about his antics. The insurance man happened to also be the agent for our policy on the house. He came out to look the house over when changing the policy from where we had lived before. That was when he related the story about the old man's drinking. There is a bit more to the story, but I couldn't tell it without naming some names that someone might see and be offended.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wakes were important in the days of leaded pewter. Some people appeared dead from lead poisoning but recovered in a day or two.
A fear of reawakening in a coffin surely contributed to having wakes. A body was cleaned and dressed, often in an outfit that had been put aside for that occasion, some people had their coffin stored under their beds for years as a sort of insurance policy and when self built was to their own standards.
Sitting up with the dead through the night. Singing, friends and family getting together, a meal when affordable. With folks having to travel to visit pre auto the second night may have been an occurrence.
Now it is a time to get together and celebrate a life that has passed.

7 Weird Graveyard Inventions | Mental Floss

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is it crossing the road?

As I have asked many times, why can't we live in a world that doesn't question a chicken's motivation, simply because it chooses to cross a road? :thumbsup:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Whew! For a second there, I thought you were going to turn this into a Halloween thread and tell us the old boy finally did fall asleep in the coffin and not wake up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread