Ever Long For The "Good Ol Days" Of Computers?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ever Long For The "Good Ol' Days" Of Computers?

Ah, the good ol' days of computing! No spyware, no ads on your computer, no spam!

Now, a nice dose of reality:

Want a ten megabyte hard drive? Only about $3,700.00 but for about $5,000 you could get a 26 megabyte hard drive.

10_meg_hdd.jpg

Click HERE to see the magazine!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad we are further than this though!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a kid, my parents asked me if I wanted something called a PC or to go on a vacation that year. I chose the PC. It was the first iteration of Windows that was available to a mass consumer market. Yes... The good ol days!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had anything that old but was quite proficient with an Apple 2E during the mid 1980's.
I will say that there's a golden age of operating systems for Windows......
Windows 95 was great but Windows 97 second edition was da bomb! :headbang:
2000 ME sucked but XP was good. I stayed with XP until spring of this year and skipped past the awful Vista right to Windows 7 pro.
Won't touch Windows 8 as I heard it's terrible. Are things getting worse as we "advance?"
I don't miss MS-DOS (still love the old RPG games) but do long for that '97 2nd Ed. again! Or even XP.
Still free from telecommunication devices but know one day they will reign supreme and home P.C's will be obsolete. :censored:
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, 98 rocked for its time. ME and Vi$ta were just money grabs between Operating Systems ... blending the WORST of both.

If you like the old DOS games, get a copy of the free "DOSBox" and you can play them once again even in Windows 8. I have "Mig 29 Super Fulcrum" and "Jack Nicklaus Signature Edition" that I play regularly that way.

Windows 8 has gotten a bad rapp, even from me (before I actually started using it daily). It is my favorite OS after installing version 8.1 - and I'm a gamer.

Games LOVE windows 8.1. My only problem has been trying to get 16 bit games to run in a 64 bit OS. Since you like Windows 98, go to Microsoft and get their "Virtual Machine" and use it to install Windows 98 inside of Windows 8 and even "Redneck Rampage" and "Need For Speed - High Stakes" run like you remember.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First hard drive I bought I believe was almost 900 meg...Wahooooo! I remember thinking how can I ever use that much data space....

Now I'm running three 1 Terabyte drives mirrored...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first computer had windows 95. it was a used NEC, guy I bought it from said you will never need more the 256 MB of RAM, or more the 15 Gig HD. Now I have Three 500 Gig HD's and 16 Gigs of ram! whoa....Wow dial up was a PITA. I remember as a teen having records, then recording them to "Cassette" so we could take them with us. Then cd's, now I had to start all over! Now the joy of Itunes, 5,000 albums that can be put on an Ipod and be taken with you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread