austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't happen here, but our gas is supposed to be less than $2 soon. About $2.45 in my neighborhood now and dropping...

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$2.99 here in Frisco, Summit County, CO. Probably won't go much lower, as we have tourists to gouge. (Right along with the locals.)

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Natchitoches is in Louisiana, Nacogodoches is in Texas :wink::wink:

Thanks for pointing out my brain fart. Etex is right (is the Fifth Wheel truck stop still in operation there?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I remember stopping at the Fifth Wheel back in the early 90's while waiting on a load.

There was this J.B. Hunt driver that came in the restaurant. His jeans were all ripped up, near about every button was missing from his shirt except for the two that were in the wrong button holes. His belt was broke and the sole was missing from one of his boots. The other boot was pretty mangled up too.

Even though he was headed to the showers, one of the other hands couldn't resist asking him what happened. "What in tarnation done got-a-holt of you boy?"

The driver hung his head in shame: "Well, after I made my drop in Houston, I wanted to kill some time and do a bit of horseback riding. Never been on a horse before, and probably won't do it again!"

"As soon as I got on the saddle, that thing went to bucking! Up and down it went throwing me in every direction. Well, when I couldn't hold on no longer, my boot was still caught in the stirrup for about two or three minutes. Man, that thing done beat me half to death! Ripped my jeans, bounced me off the ground until I lost my shirt and it broke my belt. I thought for sure I was gonna die, and I probably would have if that lady at the Wal Mart hadn't come out and unplugged the danged thing!"

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wish I could pronounce either of those. I'd guess the first is French and the other Spanish ?

Mike

Nope, believe they are Choctaw (Natchitoches - Na Ka Tish) and Caddo (Nacogodoches - Nak o doach is).

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$2.35 a gallon here. Expect gas below $2.00 here soon thanks to fracking. Without getting into politics here the reason this is happening is OPEC is refusing to cut production for fear of losing market share to us. So what they are doing is letting the price of crude drop to a point where it is no longer profitable for companies to drill for shale oil and shale gas.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I could pronounce either of those. I'd guess the first is French and the other Spanish ?

Mike

No sir, both namesakes come from the Caddo inhabitants.

When the (Spanish) Domingo Ramón Expedition arrived in 1716 they established the mission (NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE DE LOS NACOGDOCHES) which was later abandoned. In 1779 it was formally designated by the Spanish as a civil settlement (Nacogdoches) - which officially makes it the oldest town in Texas.

Other interesting (maybe just to me) facts?

- Nacogdoches has been under 9 different flags throughout its history, 3 of them being rebellion flags. Texas itself has had 6.

- the first (producing) oil well in Texas was located in Nacogdoches (1859).

- Nacogdoches is the "Sister City" of Natchitoches, Louisiana.

- the first pieces of debris from the 2003 'Columbia' space shuttle explosion were reported in Nacogdoches. (I learned something new on this one, i thought the first report of wreckage came from Palestine, TX.)

~Tejaas~

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nope, believe they are Choctaw (Natchitoches - Na Ka Tish) and Caddo (Nacogodoches - Nak o doach is).

Both are of Caddo origin.
The Choctaw presence in Texas (Yowanis) began between 1803 and 1824 by agreement between the Choctaw and Spain / The United Mexican States. The books suggest that during their Texas occupation that the population never climbed above 700 individuals, and that the duration of their stay was less than 9 years before they moved up into the Oklahoma area to rejoin the rest of their nation, being completely absent in TX by 1830.

Before that, however - the 1760s saw a small band of Choctaw being aligned with the Caddo nation in what is now present day Louisiana.

Throughout history, the Pawnee and Wichita are the most commonly known of the Caddo Confederation.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas prices are not political in the USA - Only the taxes on it! The taxes have always gone up, supply and demand control the rest - pretty simple.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gas prices are not political in the USA - Only the taxes on it! The taxes have always gone up, supply and demand control the rest - pretty simple.

I agree, and the statement about a certain politician was just used for associative purposes. Lots of folks associate that statement with the increase in available supply in this country.

Actually, we're talking BUSINESS, NOT POLITICS. It is strictly business to try to keep folks dependent on your product. Sometimes you even operate at a loss if the prospects are there to recoup you losses later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread