Tip for cleaning headlight lenses

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that you could clean your headlight lenses with bug spray. Then I heard of a guy that tried "OFF" brand "DEEP WOODS" bug repellent and it had worked for him so I picked some up to try. Guess what, it works!! I sprayed it on and 5 seconds later wiped it off with paper towels and the lenses were clear again. I wonder if the stuff actually repels bugs. :)
UPDATE: They didn't stay clear.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bet it won't stay clear long. One good way to make them clear again is to lightly sand with 2000 grit paper, degrease and spray on a light coat of clear coat...

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not, we'll see. I bought one of those kits once that had a cleaner and 3 different grits of paper to use on them. Took forever and didn't work as good as I'd have expected.
Why don't they just make them out of glass in the first place??

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super fine snadpaper wipe clean with a cloth with gasoline on it let dry and repeat until you get the result your looking for.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Maybe not, we'll see. I bought one of those kits once that had a cleaner and 3 different grits of paper to use on them. Took forever and didn't work as good as I'd have expected.
Why don't they just make them out of glass in the first place??
I wish they did make them out of glass. The couple times I've seen it done with the clear coat they looked like new for about two years. Let me know how it turns out.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Beware. There is some ingredient in Off that reacts with plastic material and can ruin it's finish. Years ago I had a daughter spray Off on the lens of a fluorescent lantern and I ended up trashing the lantern. This summer, I was in Mexico near a cenote and sprayed Deep Woods Off on my arms. Ended up ruining the band and plastic lens of my cheap new watch.

The reaction might be the reason it cleans headlight lenses, just wipe it off before it drys?

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sanded and buffed the lights on my 99 ram about 6 years ago and they still look ok, it took a bit of elbow grease and beer though.

My 03 ram is my baby though, and it needs something done. More curve to the lense makes me think more beer. I am trying to decide on new high output lights and assemblies, about 400$. Maybe I can stretch that beer out a week that way.:occasion14:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought new headlight lenses and turn signal lenses through autopartswarehouse, and they fit, they look great and I skipped the elbow grease part while drinking beer.

total out of pocket about $200.00 98 chev 2500 2whl dr.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Nitric, our trucks match! I have one clear light (new) and one faded one. Same as you! Lol!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys make me feel guilty. I never looked at them(until now). Since I got old, I don't drive much anymore. Guess what? The guilt just went away...

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you Toothpaste!

Last edited:
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little update....they didn't stay clear using the OFF. Don't know if I should do it again or try toothpaste or the apple cider. Pain in the butt. All I know is it makes it a lot harder to see at night if they aren't clear.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Toothpaste, the fine grit does the sanding for you. Well you still have to use elbow grease, but it's cheaper than the kit's and will work just as well.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1998 F 150 headlights were bad for night driving and were badly yellowed .
I sanded with 1500 paper with water until I was happy then I used rouge stick paste on a drill cotton buff whell .
Results are like brand new . My cost zero I had the stuff laying around , done my bike before so I know how to do it .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Toothpaste, the fine grit does the sanding for you. Well you still have to use elbow grease, but it's cheaper than the kit's and will work just as well.

Yup, that will work. I have used toothpaste to remove heavy scratches from a old windshield before. It's a lot of work but effective...

Sent from an empty soda can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread