Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Demolition of the old Bay Bridge, which was damaged in the Loma earthquake in northern California 25 years ago, is being delayed by about 800 birds that refuse to leave a portion of the old span that connects Oakland and San Francisco.

The double crested cormorant is not on the Endangered species list though it is recognized as a "protected" species under the migratory bird act of 1918.

Officials have tried expensive decoys, bird recordings, and fake nests in an attempt to lure the cormorants 100 feet to the new span, but their efforts have failed.

The estimated cost so far for the delay is $33 million - $40,000 per bird. The costs could skyrocket if the birds are still entrenched in February when it's time for them to start laying eggs.

from the Dec. '14 issue of ICMJ's Mining Journal.

:BangHead:

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess my question is, how much is the fine for killing one?

scare the birds off, demo the bridge. simple. If they are using explosives, set a small round of fireworks to scare them, then blow the bridge.

Where's my $33 mil?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh , if you start tearing the bridge down, I'm sure the birds will move :tongue3:

birds are not like stubborn people who refuse to move when someone walks towards them.

in any event, I'm sure they can find a "Bird Psychiatrist" at
some place like Berkeley to help them cope with the move :tongue3:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take large plastic owls and mount them to beams facing the nests... they will leave.
Works here in FL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread