Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Common sense...where does it come from??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    15,590
    6521 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Common sense? LOL. Everyone possesses some form of it. Many just don't know how to use it. I also think common sense comes in different forms and on different levels. Ask the one's who go "running with the bulls" every year in Spain. Or the guy who jumps out of a perfectly good airplane. Or the Lion tamer. Or the guy who spends $1000 or more on a machine to dig up spare change at the beach. Many would argue that none of them have any common sense to do what they do.

    I think Rene Descartes said it best...

    Common sense is the most fairly distributed thing in the world, for each one thinks he is so well-endowed with it that even those who are hardest to satisfy in all other matters are not in the habit of desiring more of it than they already have.
    Last edited by diggummup; Jan 30, 2015 at 05:51 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

  2. #17
    us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    3,571
    2739 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat-tekker-cat View Post
    Ok, here's my serious answer, I just woke up in a good mood, the other morning. pardon moi

    I've often thought it a learned trait, but seems there's something "instinctual" about it, as well.....

    It's like animal instinct, that we don't develop.
    How do, say different birds, know how to build and weave intricate nests. Different species make different nests, with little or know "clear" instructions from the parent. Some animals even survive being abandoned at birth, yet they survive, some even thrive, some don't.

    Perhaps the first yr attempt at nest building, like anything we humans attempt, are rudimentary and there's a learning curve. Sometimes new momma animals are not the "best" mommies, mistakes are made, things happen....... but it seems the natural evolution is that, creatures learn. I guess from there, the knowledge goes, collective consciousness/cosmic/holographic/Akashic.

    It's also like, imo, the dynamic engrams, we're born with or are activated upon discovery of life(such as balance)...... then as we improve and refine our "instinct" we were born with, we are able to teach ourselves.
    From there on out, it's kinda sink or swim, all through life....... isn't it?
    I agree that it cannot be taught; however, that does not mean that it cannot be learned. We are all born with a series of chromosomes that imparts upon us certain "god given" abilities and some "god given" traits that cannot be developed. If you are born without the empathy gene (as several on this thread have demonstrated) then it is a concept that is completely lost. However, one can be born with the ability and not develop it. Or, one can be born with the ability and have it tortured or beaten out of them. No, common sense is intrinsically linked with behavioral conditioning and Mendelian genetics in equal parts.

    "He" has given us time on this earth. "He" has also blessed us with some abilities. Choice is what makes us human...
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    We are not afraid of a government takeover...arf! Drink Guinness.

  3. #18
    us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    3,571
    2739 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtalker View Post
    Sad man has fallen from"sense" to "senses"...touch,taste,hear,see,feel.As far as "ego" that is what keeps man separated from the Creator..Christ had NO ego..He was transparent "you see me you see the Father"He never claimed to be the Father.

    There is no greater love than this: that a person would lay down his life "ego" for the sake of his friends.

    Be careful what you would give away...it is your protection. Sympathy....I don't feel sorry for anyone.

    Humans are creatures of belief...even if it's wrong.
    Sir,
    You humble me, as usual. I do not question or doubt your words. I simply try to absorb and understand.
    You are right, what I would give away is my protection. However, if I didn't have it would I need so much protection. There is nothing wrong with a simple life; although, that path has long since been closed off to me.
    Crispin
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    We are not afraid of a government takeover...arf! Drink Guinness.

  4. #19

    Nov 2014
    1,343
    662 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Common Sense is the ability to step outside of ego-centrism and realize that one is not the center of the universe.-Crispin

    Well, I don't know about that. I think I am the center of the universe. Others should feel the same way too. Nothing wrong with that. Being able to look in all directions is one advantage of being in the center. Those that are not in the center need to learn some common sense. It's around but a lot of people don't recognize it. Did that make sense ? See-told ya.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

  5. #20
    us
    Apr 2013
    Helena, Montana
    Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
    272
    141 times
    Metal Detecting and Prospecting
    Common sense really isn't all that common.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

  6. #21
    us
    Feb 2013
    Lake Champlain, Vt.
    2,518
    2716 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemper View Post
    Common Sense is the ability to step outside of ego-centrism and realize that one is not the center of the universe.-Crispin

    Well, I don't know about that. I think I am the center of the universe. Others should feel the same way too. Nothing wrong with that. Being able to look in all directions is one advantage of being in the center. Those that are not in the center need to learn some common sense. It's around but a lot of people don't recognize it. Did that make sense ? See-told ya.
    That explains alot,you like the gravity that draws all the attention to you! This to me is totally self-serving,nothing else.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "When the legends die, the dream ends, there is no more greatness." Tecumseh

    "Kawanro che Keetera" (I am master wherever I am)........Mohawk/Iroquios

    "Failure is just a reason to do it again with more intelligence" Henry Ford

    "....if you haven't tried it, how do you know it's impossible."

  7. #22

    Nov 2014
    1,343
    662 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GMD52 View Post
    That explains alot,you like the gravity that draws all the attention to you! This to me is totally self-serving,nothing else.
    I can see your point to a certain extent but it is not a matter of getting attention to serve one self. You may be making an assumption. If you check you will see what some do with that attention. If you've done that and have drawn your opinion from such I'll take it as an honest opinion.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

  8. #23
    us
    Feb 2013
    Lake Champlain, Vt.
    2,518
    2716 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I stand by what I wrote! I have observed, and have made what I consider to be an accurate end result.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "When the legends die, the dream ends, there is no more greatness." Tecumseh

    "Kawanro che Keetera" (I am master wherever I am)........Mohawk/Iroquios

    "Failure is just a reason to do it again with more intelligence" Henry Ford

    "....if you haven't tried it, how do you know it's impossible."

  9. #24

    Nov 2014
    1,343
    662 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GMD52 View Post
    I stand by what I wrote! I have observed, and have made what I consider to be an accurate end result.
    Fair enough.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

  10. #25
    Charter Member
    us
    Chris

    May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    10,895
    9691 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    I do know one thing..public education can 'learn' it out of you!

    GOD Bless

    Chris
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

    No one can be helped until he understands what he has been doing wrong and wants to change.

    How do you know what is right

    IF

    You don't know what is wrong? Notice I didn't say ​WHO.

    http://antidoteforall.com/ ​(Could be what you've been looking for)

  11. #26

    Jun 2007
    16,858
    6716 times
    INTERESTING "takes"...
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Nov 28, 2016 at 04:56 PM.

  12. #27

    Jun 2007
    16,858
    6716 times
    Well, to ME, "common sense" is "Situation Specific"... AND! COGNITIVE ABILITY to understand; HENCE! I had a neighbor, who was an adult with intellectual disability (Autism)... Tree leaves everywhere. SHE began to rake the leaves (THAT was HER "common sense")... HOWEVER! It was ALSO a very windy day, so leaves would be blown back PASS, where SHE raked; MY "COMMON SENSE" IS THAT we DON'T rake leaves on a windy day... SO!
    diggummup likes this.

  13. #28
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

    Jul 2015
    New York City
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    9,796
    9027 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    What is the absence of Common Sense??
    I have heard people ask others who have been injured or caused injury,, "How could you be so ignorant? "
    There have also been statements like,, "Boy,, that was dum!" or "I'll never do that again."
    So why is it that some people instinctively know how to react to situations while others continue to have problems with what seems like the simplest of life's challenges?
    Well,, it's going to rain today, (really heavy rain), and I have to go out to get things done. You think I should carry an umbrella? I heard it said that "A dog wouldn't get caught out in that rain " You think dogs have more SENSE than humans?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

  14. #29
    Charter Member
    us
    Chris

    May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    10,895
    9691 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    What is the absence of Common Sense??
    I have heard people ask others who have been injured or caused injury,, "How could you be so ignorant? "
    There have also been statements like,, "Boy,, that was dum!" or "I'll never do that again."
    So why is it that some people instinctively know how to react to situations while others continue to have problems with what seems like the simplest of life's challenges?
    Well,, it's going to rain today, (really heavy rain), and I have to go out to get things done. You think I should carry an umbrella? I heard it said that "A dog wouldn't get caught out in that rain " You think dogs have more SENSE than humans?
    The body is in the moment,the mind is elsewhere...accident anyone??
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

    No one can be helped until he understands what he has been doing wrong and wants to change.

    How do you know what is right

    IF

    You don't know what is wrong? Notice I didn't say ​WHO.

    http://antidoteforall.com/ ​(Could be what you've been looking for)

  15. #30
    Charter Member

    Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    864
    875 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The way I see it, everybody has the ability to reason. It is what separates us from the other animals. But, like a muscle, the brain needs to exercised or aytrophy sets in.

    The ability to reason is important because everything happens for a reason. It does not have to be a "good" reason, but nothing happens purely accidentally. Knowing why things happen happen is important to a person's outcomes in life.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly." - Thomas Sowell

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. common sense
    By timberjack in forum Dredging & Hi Banking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 08, 2014, 10:38 AM
  2. Common sense
    By mumszie in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar 29, 2011, 12:37 PM
  3. COMMON SENSE !
    By Frankn in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 18, 2011, 12:50 AM
  4. common sense
    By quiksilver in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 04, 2010, 04:09 PM
  5. RIP Common Sense
    By River Rat in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 01, 2008, 03:11 AM

Search tags for this page

common sense a lost treasure
,
common sense is the most fairly distributed thing in the world, for each one thinks he is so well-endowed with it that e
,
is common sense the most fairly distributed thing in the world
,

where does common sense come from

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0