Common sense...where does it come from??

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
I have lots of common sense. :notworthy:
There's some in the bottom of my purses, I usually find some in the washing machine when I do the Mr.s laundry, I throw some in jars, use it for parking meters......... :tongue3:

I've got common pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, all of them pretty common.
Whether my common sense has super powers or not, well,
it does have the ability to turn itself in to anything I want it to be. :icon_scratch:
Must be magic! :dontknow:

I know a guy who......

wait......... :icon_scratch:

:laughing7:

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well,
I have lots of common sense. :notworthy:
There's some in the bottom of my purses, I usually find some in the washing machine when I do the Mr.s laundry, I throw some in jars, use it for parking meters......... :tongue3:

I've got common pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, all of them pretty common.
Whether my common sense has super powers or not, well,
it does have the ability to turn itself in to anything I want it to be. :icon_scratch:
Must be magic! :dontknow:

I know a guy who......

wait......... :icon_scratch:

:laughing7:

A very serious question...of course a little levity never hurt!:laughing7:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense is simply the understanding of "cause and effect" in our daily lives.
People with there heads up there ass see no reason to understand it.
Every day I see a lot of headless people.
Temporance and kindness, though not always easy, can be a lubricant.
Thus "cause and effect", occasionally someone can get there head out.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Common sense is learned, my cousin and I discussed this years ago. if we were born with common sense a child would not try to touch a red hot burner on the stove. I agree you do not see it as much as you used to.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right digger but also there is an inner conscious that comes into play also, like a warning of a dangerous situation, or the feeling of right and wrong, so maby its a combination of things. Some people are even labeled accident prone because of the lack of it. I think maybe sometimes people are somewhat narrow minded and do not see the bigger picture of life!

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Common sense is learned, my cousin and I discussed this years ago. if we were born with common sense a child would not try to touch a red hot burner on the stove. I agree you do not see it as much as you used to.

We are born with it,it takes time to develop it,although some never do.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are right digger but also there is an inner conscious that comes into play also, like a warning of a dangerous situation, or the feeling of right and wrong, so maby its a combination of things. Some people are even labeled accident prone because of the lack of it. I think maybe sometimes people are somewhat narrow minded and do not see the bigger picture of life!

We have a conscience and a consciousness.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Common Sense is the ability to step outside of ego-centrism and realize that one is not the center of the universe. In order to do this one must have a secure enough sense of self that discovering evidence that previous beliefs may be false does not destroy one's self. Simple to understand but difficult to "know" (as R.E.B would say.")

Simply put, common sense is empathy. A concept that is commonly confused with sympathy and that few understand. PTC and WorldTalker know of what I speak. I have been lucky enough to share a moment of empathy with PTC in real life. One I hope to get the chance to repeat again.

No, there is nothing common about common sense. It is a rarity, a gift and a curse to those who possess it. I would gladly give away my common sense if possible. It is so much easier to believe that the sun revolves around the earth then to stare at the cold, hard fact that the earth revolves around the sun.

Crispin

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Common Sense is the ability to step outside of ego-centrism and realize that one is not the center of the universe. In order to do this one must have a secure enough sense of self that discovering evidence that previous beliefs may be false does not destroy one's self. Simple to understand but difficult to "know" (as R.E.B would say.")

Simply put, common sense is empathy. A concept that is commonly confused with sympathy and that few understand. PTC and WorldTalker know of what I speak. I have been lucky enough to share a moment of empathy with PTC in real life. One I hope to get the chance to repeat again.

No, there is nothing common about common sense. It is a rarity, a gift and a curse to those who possess it. I would gladly give away my common sense if possible. It is so much easier to believe that the sun revolves around the earth then to stare at the cold, hard fact that the earth revolves around the sun.

Crispin

Sad man has fallen from"sense" to "senses"...touch,taste,hear,see,feel.As far as "ego" that is what keeps man separated from the Creator..Christ had NO ego..He was transparent "you see me you see the Father"He never claimed to be the Father.

There is no greater love than this: that a person would lay down his life "ego" for the sake of his friends.”

Be careful what you would give away...it is your protection. Sympathy....I don't feel sorry for anyone.

Humans are creatures of belief...even if it's wrong.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's my serious answer, I just woke up in a good mood, the other morning. :laughing7: pardon moi :laughing7:

I've often thought it a learned trait, but seems there's something "instinctual" about it, as well.....

It's like animal instinct, that we don't develop.
How do, say different birds, know how to build and weave intricate nests. Different species make different nests, with little or know "clear" instructions from the parent. Some animals even survive being abandoned at birth, yet they survive, some even thrive, some don't.

Perhaps the first yr attempt at nest building, like anything we humans attempt, are rudimentary and there's a learning curve. Sometimes new momma animals are not the "best" mommies, mistakes are made, things happen....... but it seems the natural evolution is that, creatures learn. I guess from there, the knowledge goes, collective consciousness/cosmic/holographic/Akashic.

It's also like, imo, the dynamic engrams, we're born with or are activated upon discovery of life(such as balance)...... then as we improve and refine our "instinct" we were born with, we are able to teach ourselves.
From there on out, it's kinda sink or swim, all through life....... isn't it?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crispin

I don't agree Crispin - Common Sense is not Empathy. I believe empathy is a word thrown around too much today by people who think they are superior to others. There is truly no-way to have empathy for someone else, UNLESS; you have been in the exact same situation.
Def - Empathy is the experience of understanding another person's condition from their perspective. You place yourself in their shoes and feel what they are feeling.

No one on earth today can do this, unless you have been in their situation. You can "say" you empathize, but truly your are sympathizing.

My2cents!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Common sense comes from the ability to think rationally and find most of the possible outcomes based on your actions.

Kinda like thinking about sticking your finger in a spinning fan blade. A "rational" person would realize that if they stick there finger into a spinning fan blade it is going to get
A.cut
B. cut off
C. broken
D. all of the above

So, in "realizing" these consequences one decides not to stick their finger into a spinning fan blade as it would be rather painful and/or debilitating.

Sadly, I agree that common sense is so rare these days it SHOULD be considered a super power.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense? LOL. Everyone possesses some form of it. Many just don't know how to use it. I also think common sense comes in different forms and on different levels. Ask the one's who go "running with the bulls" every year in Spain. Or the guy who jumps out of a perfectly good airplane. Or the Lion tamer. Or the guy who spends $1000 or more on a machine to dig up spare change at the beach. Many would argue that none of them have any common sense to do what they do.

I think Rene Descartes said it best...

Common sense is the most fairly distributed thing in the world, for each one thinks he is so well-endowed with it that even those who are hardest to satisfy in all other matters are not in the habit of desiring more of it than they already have.

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, here's my serious answer, I just woke up in a good mood, the other morning. :laughing7: pardon moi :laughing7:

I've often thought it a learned trait, but seems there's something "instinctual" about it, as well.....

It's like animal instinct, that we don't develop.
How do, say different birds, know how to build and weave intricate nests. Different species make different nests, with little or know "clear" instructions from the parent. Some animals even survive being abandoned at birth, yet they survive, some even thrive, some don't.

Perhaps the first yr attempt at nest building, like anything we humans attempt, are rudimentary and there's a learning curve. Sometimes new momma animals are not the "best" mommies, mistakes are made, things happen....... but it seems the natural evolution is that, creatures learn. I guess from there, the knowledge goes, collective consciousness/cosmic/holographic/Akashic.

It's also like, imo, the dynamic engrams, we're born with or are activated upon discovery of life(such as balance)...... then as we improve and refine our "instinct" we were born with, we are able to teach ourselves.
From there on out, it's kinda sink or swim, all through life....... isn't it?

I agree that it cannot be taught; however, that does not mean that it cannot be learned. We are all born with a series of chromosomes that imparts upon us certain "god given" abilities and some "god given" traits that cannot be developed. If you are born without the empathy gene (as several on this thread have demonstrated) then it is a concept that is completely lost. However, one can be born with the ability and not develop it. Or, one can be born with the ability and have it tortured or beaten out of them. No, common sense is intrinsically linked with behavioral conditioning and Mendelian genetics in equal parts.

"He" has given us time on this earth. "He" has also blessed us with some abilities. Choice is what makes us human...

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad man has fallen from"sense" to "senses"...touch,taste,hear,see,feel.As far as "ego" that is what keeps man separated from the Creator..Christ had NO ego..He was transparent "you see me you see the Father"He never claimed to be the Father.

There is no greater love than this: that a person would lay down his life "ego" for the sake of his friends.”

Be careful what you would give away...it is your protection. Sympathy....I don't feel sorry for anyone.

Humans are creatures of belief...even if it's wrong.

Sir,
You humble me, as usual. I do not question or doubt your words. I simply try to absorb and understand.
You are right, what I would give away is my protection. However, if I didn't have it would I need so much protection. There is nothing wrong with a simple life; although, that path has long since been closed off to me.
Crispin

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common Sense is the ability to step outside of ego-centrism and realize that one is not the center of the universe.-Crispin

Well, I don't know about that. I think I am the center of the universe. Others should feel the same way too. Nothing wrong with that. Being able to look in all directions is one advantage of being in the center. Those that are not in the center need to learn some common sense. It's around but a lot of people don't recognize it. Did that make sense ? See-told ya.

That explains alot,you like the gravity that draws all the attention to you! This to me is totally self-serving,nothing else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread