Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Not in front of the telly: Warning over listening TV

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    13074 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

Not in front of the telly: Warning over 'listening' TV

BBC News - Not in front of the telly: Warning over 'listening' TV

9 February 2015 Last updated at 06:20 ET

Samsung is warning customers to avoid discussing personal information in front of their smart television set.

The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV using its voice activation feature.

Such TV sets 'listen' to every conversation held in front of them and may share any details they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.

Privacy campaigners said the technology smacked of the telescreens, in George Orwell's 1984, which spied on citizens.
    Data sharing

The warning came to light via a story in online news magazine the Daily Beast which published an excerpt of a section of Samsung's privacy policy for its net-connected Smart TV sets.

The policy explains that the TV set will be listening to people in the same room to try to spot when commands are issued. It goes on to warn: "If your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party."

Corynne McSherry, an intellectual property lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) which campaigns on digital rights issues, told the Daily Beast that the third party was probably the company providing speech-to-text conversion for Samsung.

Personal or sensitive information could be captured by the TV, Samsung said

She added: "If I were the customer, I might like to know who that third party was, and I'd definitely like to know whether my words were being transmitted in a secure form."

Soon after, an activist for the EFF circulated the policy statement on Twitter comparing it to George Orwell's description of the telescreens in his novel 1984 that listen to what people say in their homes.

In response to the widespread sharing of its policy statement, Samsung has issued a statement to clarify how voice activation works.

It said the privacy policy was an attempt to be transparent with owners in order to help them make informed choices about whether to use some features on its Smart TV sets, adding that it took consumer privacy "very seriously".

Samsung said: "If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search. At that time, the voice data is sent to a server, which searches for the requested content then returns the desired content to the TV."

It added that it did not retain voice data or sell the audio being captured. Smart-TV owners would always know if voice activation was turned on because a microphone icon would be visible on the screen, it said.

The third-party handling the translation from speech to text has not been named.

Samsung is not the first maker of a smart, net-connected TV to run into problems with the data the set collects. In late 2013, a UK IT consultant found his LG TV was gathering information about his viewing habits.

Publicity about the issue led LG to create a software update which ensured data collection was turned off for those who did not want to share information.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    836 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    pretty scary! altho I don't think I'll be getting a smart tv anytime soon, if ever.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    24251 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have two Samsung 65" smart TVs, you just don't activate that feature is all. I didn't activate mine.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    13074 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    I have two Samsung 65" smart TVs, you just don't activate that feature is all. I didn't activate mine.
    Hey TH, I have a 55" Samsung smart TV. Right now I'm only hooked up to Dish Network, and have not connected it to the internet - but that's coming.

Thus I haven't really explored the settings. Do these particular TV's default to the feature set to off? That's what you said, but paranoid me......

Obviously I'll need to look deeper prior to the internet hook-up. All I have to do is run the Cat5 cable, but haven't gotten around to it. I seldom watch TV anyway, but Mom does - I doubt she'll go into Netflix or similar sites ever when I do hook it up.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    24251 times
    Sorry I wasn't clear, Default is on, you go into menu then to system then to voice interaction then to TV voice, there you turn it on and off...
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    746 times
    Stayin' alive :D
    How can you be sure that just because you don't choose to use the feature it doesn't still listen?
    Last edited by ConceptualizedNetherlandr; Feb 16, 2015 at 01:47 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    24251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ConceptualizedNetherlandr View Post
    How can you sure that just because you don't chose to use the feature it doesn't still listen?
    I go to user menu and turn off the option, when I talk to it nothing now happens, beyond that I don't really care.

People can hack your pc and turn on your video cam, they can do the same with smart phones, I'm more concerned about certain un-named agencies monitoring our phones, website visits and emails than I am my TV listening to me talk to my wife on a Friday night.....

Charter Member
    SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    8778 times
    Metal Detecting
    I yell at my tv all the time during football games, never seems to help
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING A SNOWFLAKE? SNOWFLAKES MAKE THE WORLD PRETTIER

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    13263 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    when I talk to it nothing now happens, beyond that I don't really care.

I supervised some guys who were just like that. lol.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    XP Deus, T2 LTD Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    4223 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I like my stupid TV ...we get along good !
    Gary
    I`v been detecting for 48 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    5926 times
    The Truth
    I hate to tell everybody but this has been going on for a few years now.If your TV isnt listening in something else is. https://www.wired.com/2012/03/petraeus-tv-remote/
    Slingshot likes this.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. -- George

Charter Member
    SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    8778 times
    Metal Detecting
    welcome new member jamesredcash, the name makes me miss our old friend redjamescash
    Chadeaux and G.A.P.metal like this.
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING A SNOWFLAKE? SNOWFLAKES MAKE THE WORLD PRETTIER

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    5926 times
    The Truth
    welcome new member jamesredcash, the name makes me miss our old friend redjamescash
    I'm Reds twin brother JamesHow goes it jeff,long time no see.

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

Charter Member
    SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    8778 times
    Metal Detecting
    missed you pal, what you been up to? I just got a little older is all

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    5926 times
    The Truth
    Same ole crap different day,bigger pile smaller shovel.I missed everybody in hereI think we're all a little older.
    Chadeaux likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links