Before America Was Afraid of Firearms...

OP
OP
Sluice Willis

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what its like where you live, but I walked into my friendly neighborhood gun shop and walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new Bushmaster AR-15.

I guess I still live in the U.S.A.

I can do the same, but not everybody can. Did you fill out paperwork? Pass a background check? Show ID? Would anybody question why you would need an AR-15? We used to be able to order rifles, shotguns, handguns and ordinance right through the mail no questions asked, no background checks, no ID, and nobody questioned why anybody would want to. When I was growing up every house had a gun collection and nobody gave them anymore second thought than they would a hammer or a screwdriver. Hardly the climate and atmosphere of today's times. The main reason I posted this is because I like looking through these old gun ads. I thought others might enjoy them too and it's also a good reminder of how things used to be. I like to share history especially with the younger crowd.

OP
OP
Sluice Willis

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rifles no problem here either, pistols are another story unless you have a conceal carry license it is a 3 day waiting period.

What about long guns and ammo from the internet? Places like Gunbroker will ship them to an approved FFL dealer in states where it's legal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get bulk ammo delivered to my home...

OP
OP
Sluice Willis

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get bulk ammo delivered to my home...

10847878_10202286451921605_4442137790862370863_n.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was 12, there was an NRA sponsored shooting club in the town where I lived. We shot .22 rifles, during the school year, I think on Wednesday evenings. I know it was at least one day a week. There were four neighborhood boys that went and shot our rifles. One parent would carpool us to the Ford Garage in town, where the 50 foot range was in the basement. It cost 25 cents, and you got a half box of .22 long rifle ammo. Each kid shot 5 targets, prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand, and one warm up target, five shots each. In the middle of winter, dark comes early, so when we were done shooting, if it wasn't raining, we would have to walk home, which meant four 12 year old kids walked through town armed with rifles, after dark, and nobody said or did anything, and no cops stopped to talk to us. That would have been around 1949. When I turned 16, I saved my money, and bought a Colt .22 caliber Huntsman semi auto pistol. There was a three day wait, and my parents knew what I was doing, so I don't know if the store owner called my folks or what, but I bought the pistol, and then went to the high sheriff and got a permit to carry it concealed in my A model ford coup, so it wouldn't be stolen out of the car when I was at school. During hunting season, if you were going hunting after school, you took your gun to school, and left it in the car. I had two or three jobs, cleaning apartments, delivering papers and yard work stand out. Most of the money I made went for two things, gas and ammunition, .22 long rifle and 12 ga. shotgun. The 4 cylinder A didn't take lots of gas at .35 cents a gallon, but even at a penny a shot, there never was enough ammo, so I also took up archery, because I could make my own arrows and use them over and over again. Oh yes, I didn't live in Idaho, or Wyoming, that was in San Luis Obispo, California. This is history, not politics, but I have to stop now or it will step over the line.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local gunshops have gotten pretty pricey on ammo anyone know of a good site that delivers but doesn't charge an arm and a leg for 22 & 380 also in need of 35 Remington. There's so many sites all promise best price but then nail you on shipping

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old ads......wish Canada would loosen the laws just a bit......

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Local gunshops have gotten pretty pricey on ammo anyone know of a good site that delivers but doesn't charge an arm and a leg for 22 & 380 also in need of 35 Remington. There's so many sites all promise best price but then nail you on shipping
This is a good company to deal with. Get on their mailing list for the weekly specials. .22LR is still tough to find though. I scored some at the local Bass Pro Shop recently but it comes in one day & is gone the next nearly everywhere. https://www.wideners.com/

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me too. I never buy less than 1000 rounds - its too expensive otherwise.

Been quite awhile since I ordered any, but the last time I ordered I got cussed out by the UPS guy since he had to unload more than a few boxes.

Last time I bought was when I could get mil. surplus 5.56 at $90 a thou and .22 LR was $25 a thou. Bought it cheap and stacked it deep.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last time I bought was when I could get mil. surplus 5.56 at $90 a thou

You will never see those prices today. I'm happy if I can get a case for $250.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool vintage catalogs.

Heres a fun fact - In '63, Lee Harvey Oswald bought his (military surplus) Italian Carcano rifle via mail order with Klein's Sporting Goods up in Chicago.

$12.95, delivered to his PO Box in Dallas.

Well, IF you believe in that whole non-conspiracy thing, haha.

Kidding.

~Tejaas~

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Yes, I remember going to the Grocery store and it had a sporting good section.A few guns,fishing lures,ammo,etc.... It really hasn't been all that long ago! And in city limits in Ohio...Bricks of .22 were around $9. I would spend the rest of the afternoon with a loaf of bread and wasting the the bullets!(some will understand this) I was probably? 13 somewhere in there.

Ohhh you could also get the latest release's on 45 records or cassettes right before the checkout line. lol

I like the old ads too! It shows how fast things change. The same Grocery chain would run gun and ammo sales ads in the weekly paper. You had to dump those out to get to the comics!

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember going to the Woolworth's in downtown Burlington, and in the sporting goods dept. they had a couple barells of WW11 rifles for sale...I bought Italian carcano's for 15$, Mauser's for 20-25$ and the fine 6.5 Swede mauser's for 35$. This was in the late 60's-early 70's...wish I had bought the whole barrel!....Side light...in the 1930's when the firm of Griffin and Howe in NYC put on an addition, instead of reinforcing the concrete with rebar, the fill the addition floor slab with thousands of German Mauser barelled actions! But sadly they too are now gone....Gary

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can remember getting .22LR for 25 cents a box. Could amuse my self for .50 cents a day and nobody cared I was just a "kid" buying .22LR. Of course it was a small town where everybody knew everybody.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, some posts removed for politics... If you want to discuss amount of rounds guns need and regulations please do so in our politics forum..

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall a State Trooper lived next door,He always took me to shoot His .38 in the backyard....try that with cops today!!

GOD Bless

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread