sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im not sure if i can post this here and if in violation please moderator move to the right place really upset over this !!!!!!!!!Maybe some have seen this and maybe some have not ,:BangHead::icon_scratch:I sure haven't.72 Yr Old Retired Teacher Faces 10 Years In Prison For 300 Yr Old
Read more at LiveLeak.com - 72 Yr Old Retired Teacher Faces 10 Years In Prison For 300 Yr Old Flintlock

Last edited:

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a good reason not to live in New Jersey.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread can stay for now but remember our rule on politics....

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be pick on old guy week or something.

Florida man arrested for illegal taking of valuable 'deadhead logs' - Orlando Sentinel

Florida man arrested for illegal taking of valuable 'deadhead logs'

Authorities have arrested an elderly north Florida man on suspicion of illegally pulling hand-cut "deadhead logs" from state waterways. The Marion County Sheriff's Office arrested 83-year-old Carl Billy Knowles after state investigators found an estimated $300,000-worth of the prized timber on his property.

So-called deadhead logs are cherished by craftsmen because of their strength and resistance to rot, and can fetch top dollar. The logs were lost in transit on loggers' rafts decades ago, and were preserved by the deep, cool waters of rivers and lakes.
The Ocala Star-Banner reports that the state claims ownership of the logs, and allows their removal only by permit.

Knowles told the newspaper he doesn't have a permit, but claims officials said he could take any logs floating near his boat dock.

OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure hunter i apologize for sure .vanzutphen

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Jersey used to be a part of the United States, but exited years ago, and is now some kind of nightmarish 3rd world Oligarchy. One lesson here is NEVER talk to cops!!! Now he is in deep dodo because he owns an Assault Flintlock weapon! Of course we Treasure Hunters are aware that the State of Florida owns everything within their borders and about 200 miles out to sea too, another Oligarchy in the making. Certainly not the country I was born in, but there are a few normal places left, like where I'm at. Cheers!!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
what a shame. one could only hope the judge has a reasonable solution. many poor decisions are made in the field only to be dismissed in court.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sad. I remember many years ago I was traveling to New Hampshire and just as I got into New Jersey I saw my license plate fly off my trailer. I immediately pulled over and ran down the road to fetch it. The bracket had broken and no way to put my license plate on my trailer, no zip ties handy. I get 20 miles up the road and a trooper was in the median and immediately pulled me over.

He questioned about my license plate for my trailer and I told him what had happened and even help up the license plate with bracket attached and told him he can match it up with the other piece on the trailer. Asked me where I was going, saw I was from Texas and started grilling me even after he saw my military ID when I pulled my drivers license out and even looked ay my Military ID. Started grilling me why I was coming on this route, (that would have me travel away from New York City due to the after math of 911 BTW), I told him if he looks on the passenger seat, (where he was by my passenger door with window rolled down), he could plainly see a clipboard with my whole route from Texas to New Hampshire. He didn't believe me and started grilling me on if I had a gun and drugs in my truck. I told him niether. He kept the issue being I was coming from Texas and kept asking me if I had a gun or drugs in my truck. I told him, "no I don't have a gun in the truck, (which I really did), and told him no I am not looking to ruin my military career by doing or transporting drugs!"

He told me if he searched my truck would he find anything. I told him go right ahead because I had nothing! Of course he didn't search my truck but he kept me there for over 45 minutes wasting my time and he finally let me go.

I was lucky he didn't search my truck because he would have found my handgun and I would have been arrested. After I had my stay visiting friends in New Hamshire, I drove all out of my way to AVOID New York AND New Jersey!

That is one dump I would never live in much less travel again if my life depended on it!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is sad. I remember many years ago I was traveling to New Hampshire and just as I got into New Jersey I saw my license plate fly off my trailer. I immediately pulled over and ran down the road to fetch it. The bracket had broken and no way to put my license plate on my trailer, no zip ties handy. I get 20 miles up the road and a trooper was in the median and immediately pulled me over.

He questioned about my license plate for my trailer and I told him what had happened and even help up the license plate with bracket attached and told him he can match it up with the other piece on the trailer. Asked me where I was going, saw I was from Texas and started grilling me even after he saw my military ID when I pulled my drivers license out and even looked ay my Military ID. Started grilling me why I was coming on this route, (that would have me travel away from New York City due to the after math of 911 BTW), I told him if he looks on the passenger seat, (where he was by my passenger door with window rolled down), he could plainly see a clipboard with my whole route from Texas to New Hampshire. He didn't believe me and started grilling me on if I had a gun and drugs in my truck. I told him niether. He kept the issue being I was coming from Texas and kept asking me if I had a gun or drugs in my truck. I told him, "no I don't have a gun in the truck, (which I really did), and told him no I am not looking to ruin my military career by doing or transporting drugs!"

He told me if he searched my truck would he find anything. I told him go right ahead because I had nothing! Of course he didn't search my truck but he kept me there for over 45 minutes wasting my time and he finally let me go.

I was lucky he didn't search my truck because he would have found my handgun and I would have been arrested. After I had my stay visiting friends in New Hamshire, I drove all out of my way to AVOID New York AND New Jersey!

That is one dump I would never live in much less travel again if my life depended on it!

The Turnpike/I-95 is a known trafficking route and is a heavy enforcement zone for this reason. The officer was doing his job.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor old goat getting bent over by the man. I live in CT want to talk about 2nd amendment violations? There is only one town in CT Sandy Hook. The rest of the state caters to them. Hope to be past resident if I can sell. The entire world is upside down. Over the hill is not always so terrible. Only thing I feel bad about over the hill is I can remember when.

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Turnpike/I-95 is a known trafficking route and is a heavy enforcement zone for this reason. The officer was doing his job.

I wasn't upset because he was doing his job, I was more upset for how long he had me there on the side of the road and I didn't show any signs of irritation for him to indicate I was irritated, fact is being I was military at the time and proved it to him, hauling my motorcycle in the back of my open trailer people normally use to haul lawn equipment on, talking with me, even giving him permission to search vehicle, and even seeing my pre planned route written on a note pad in plain view of him. The route I had written down would not have been written in 5 minutes as it was detailed on where I would stop for fuel, etc. and all the roads and highways listed being it was going to be my first time going to New Hampshire. He could have made his conclusion I wasn't doing anything wrong or anything illegal in a matter of 15-20 minutes.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Florida man arrested for illegal taking of valuable 'deadhead logs'

Authorities have arrested an elderly north Florida man on suspicion of illegally pulling hand-cut "deadhead logs" from state waterways. The Marion County Sheriff's Office arrested 83-year-old Carl Billy Knowles after state investigators found an estimated $300,000-worth of the prized timber on his property.

So-called deadhead logs are cherished by craftsmen because of their strength and resistance to rot, and can fetch top dollar. The logs were lost in transit on loggers' rafts decades ago, and were preserved by the deep, cool waters of rivers and lakes.
The Ocala Star-Banner reports that the state claims ownership of the logs, and allows their removal only by permit.

In the 1920-30's, the Oklawaha River area of Marion county was nearly clear cut of first growth cypress. In the early 160's, there was a lumber company and mill in what is now downtown Ocala that had a 20 foot 4.5 foot wide cypress log that had at least over a thousand dense rings. I have a block of old first growth cypress, recovered from a RR water tank in Marion county, grey on the outside from weather, but solid and dense with hundreds of tight rings.
Before the State of Florida passed the law where one can not remove artifacts from the rivers, native American arrowheads, mastodon bones and teeth, Civil War items, and salvage from sunken riverboats were recovered from the Oklawaha River, but those days are gone, over a long time ago.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

So its ok to shake down law abiding citizens based on what the lawbreakers do? Guess in Jersey your guilty until you prove your innocence.

Rest on comment would make a sailor blush and political so I will refrain.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I've heard this for many years. The Florida cops say the same thing, as do the Ga. cops and every state trooper that you run across traveling up or down the I-95 corridor, no matter the state. You know what they say about excuses, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I've heard this for many years. The Florida cops say the same thing, as do the Ga. cops and every state trooper that you run across traveling up or down the I-95 corridor, no matter the state. You know what they say about excuses, right? Some (I'd venture to say most) cops are just aholes, period.

EXACTLY! It doesn't matter what interstate you are on or which state you travel in, they always claim their interstates are drug traffic corridors! And your last sentence? You are REALLY correct on that issue! I called them criminals with guns and badges!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions