davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the federal share of the gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon which hasn't been raised since 1993. You can imagine how many cars have been added to the mix since then. Congress also has taken 80 billion dollars from the general revenue fund over that period of time to pay for repairs. As with any funding source, the federal highway safety fund has been raided for so many other purposes they can't be listed or counted in short order.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Well then, I found the answer.

This is an April 2014 article in the Washington Post. It states, in part:

With pressure mounting to avert a transportation funding crisis this summer, the Obama administration Tuesday opened the door for states to collect tolls on interstate highways to raise revenue for roadway repairs.
The proposal, contained in a four-year, $302 billion White House transportation bill, would reverse a long-standing federal prohibition on most interstate tolling.
Though some older segments of the network — notably the Pennsylvania and New Jersey turnpikes and Interstate 95 in Maryland and Interstate 495 in Virginia — are toll roads, most of the 46,876-mile system has been toll-free.
“We believe that this is an area where the states have to make their own decisions,” said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “We want to open the aperture, if you will, to allow more states to choose to make broader use of tolling, to have that option available.”

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
the federal share of the gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon which hasn't been raised since 1993. You can imagine how many cars have been added to the mix since then. Congress also has taken 80 billion dollars from the general revenue fund over that period of time to pay for repairs. As with any funding source, the federal highway safety fund has been raided for so many other purposes they can't be listed or counted in short order.

Yeah, the taxes aren't high enough. Politicians need more money for vacations, homes, cars, bimbos etc.

Honestly, if the money actually went where it is "assigned" rather than for "social change" and graft, there would be MORE THAN ENOUGH TO KEEP THE ROADS IN THIS NATION IN TIP TOP SHAPE!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's about the stupidest comment/concern I've heard for awhile. The Govt. wants automakers to raise the MPG for their vehicle fleets. "Go Green" folks want electric cars. Then, we now have the hybrids getting around 45-50 mpg. Everybody (most of us) don't want to waste fuel due to it's high price.

Now I hear about raising prices on license plates for electric and hybrids because of the now "missing funds" through the gas tax's. Hell that's why anybody would want one of these vehicles is because of the fuel savings. So "they" make up for the lost revenue in one lump sum through registration fees. "They" want it both ways!!!!! So new tolls, higher tolls and registration fees will make it up. When is enough.... enough?

Just my stupid little thinking here, but.... Run the highway dept. like a business through private businesses, bidding and hold them to it. To much skimming off the top probably going on now.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
There is plenty of money out there. Whats not wasted by mismanagement is eaten by corruption.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Well then, I found the answer.

This is an April 2014 article in the Washington Post. It states, in part:

With pressure mounting to avert a transportation funding crisis this summer, the Obama administration Tuesday opened the door for states to collect tolls on interstate highways to raise revenue for roadway repairs.
The proposal, contained in a four-year, $302 billion White House transportation bill, would reverse a long-standing federal prohibition on most interstate tolling.
Though some older segments of the network — notably the Pennsylvania and New Jersey turnpikes and Interstate 95 in Maryland and Interstate 495 in Virginia — are toll roads, most of the 46,876-mile system has been toll-free.
“We believe that this is an area where the states have to make their own decisions,” said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “We want to open the aperture, if you will, to allow more states to choose to make broader use of tolling, to have that option available.”

Looks like you found the culprit. The justification might be it the State contribution to the maintenance which should have been covered is their gas taxes.
LBJ tried to create a "Great Society" and fight a war at the same time and failed. Maybe we don't learn.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone can tell me about this disturbing trend.

I do a lot of traveling for my work. I'm noticing more and more toll booths popping up on Interstates.

The first one was entering Illinois from Wisconsin years ago. I actually thought I was lost and had somehow gotten on a toll road. I found out that it was still the Interstate.

Driving on I-95 from Baltimore, very expensive. Maine I-95, tolls popping up everywhere.

More and more states are putting toll booths on Interstates.

I thought our fuel tax paid for the Interstate highways? Where is this going to end, or how can it be controlled. It seems to be getting out of hand.

WTF is a toll booth?:icon_scratch::dontknow:

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
WTF is a toll booth?:icon_scratch::dontknow:

You pay 18.4 cents a gallon as a tax for the federal interstate highways when you buy gas.

Now, they put a big box on the interstate, some used to have people in them, which they paid, now most are automated so they don't have to pay people.

They (the boxes on the interstate) are used to collect an additional tax to supplement the tax you are already paying.

If you fail to have the proper electronic tax paying device in your car, they read you license plate, then send you the tax bill for driving on the already taxed interstate highway, and apply an additional penalty tax for not buying the electronic automatic tax deduction device.

See?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a big point. Think about this. All of those buses, streetcars, light rail systems come out of the highway trust fund. Those that don't drive get partially funded by those that do drive. How about raising the fairs to cover the cost of those systems? How about registering a car once till it changes owner. This would save a bundle on the cost of operating the registration system. Just some useful thoughts that will never get past deaf ears. Frank.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Can anyone even imagine the amount of money raised on our Federal gas tax ALONE for highway infrastructure (per year)....? And this doesn't even count the state tax for the same.

I know.... POLITICAL (STOP). I "think" a lot of the monies is NOT directed for the cause it was raised for but for other "causes". Everybody knows S.S. was "raided" years ago because the account was to tempting not to raid. I'm done.
I paid thousands of $ in Federal Highway Use Tax each year when I was trucking . That was supposed to maintain the roads we drive on . Millions of $ from that fund were diverted in WV for 'Rails to Trails'. Tearing out existing railroad tracks and turning them into paved walking paths for yuppies . Look it up .

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paid thousands of $ in Federal Highway Use Tax each year when I was trucking . That was supposed to maintain the roads we drive on . Millions of $ from that fund were diverted in WV for 'Rails to Trails'. Tearing out existing railroad tracks and turning them into paved walking paths for yuppies . Look it up .

Your now preaching to the choir buddy.... But I know your right. But it's too easy to "go political" here on this topic and get into a "time out/banned" mode.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a thought here. Type the words "which states have privatized the interstate highway system" into your search engine. You might be surprised.

they are running it like a business, either you pay or you make do with bad roads. Private companies have no one to satisfy except their shareholders, they also know how many people have to go from here to there before they even bid. With taxpayer bailouts, what's to lose?

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when are you going to say Enough is Enough?!
Crispin - I have said enough is enough a LONG time ago - Only problem is: I'm just one vote. Anything else I say or do is or will be illegal. Tough to fight the powers that be.
One side has stopped the power of free speech for the other side.......very problematic. Hope that's too political? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions