Interstate toll charges

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe someone can tell me about this disturbing trend.

I do a lot of traveling for my work. I'm noticing more and more toll booths popping up on Interstates.

The first one was entering Illinois from Wisconsin years ago. I actually thought I was lost and had somehow gotten on a toll road. I found out that it was still the Interstate.

Driving on I-95 from Baltimore, very expensive. Maine I-95, tolls popping up everywhere.

More and more states are putting toll booths on Interstates.

I thought our fuel tax paid for the Interstate highways? Where is this going to end, or how can it be controlled. It seems to be getting out of hand.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most toll booths were supposed to go away once the project was paid off, but once our government entities get tax revenue, they never want to lose it. Some stretches of Toll roads have, what it seems to me, a toll booth for every county so they can all get a cut.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Most toll booths were supposed to go away once the project was paid off, but once our government entities get tax revenue, they never want to lose it. Some stretches of Toll roads have, what it seems to me, a toll booth for every county so they can all get a cut.

Yeah, I understand the toll roads built with tolls. The bridge in Tampa was constructed with tolls. The bridge was paid off 5 years ago. The toll booths are still there.

I'm talking about the interstate. The one paid for by federal dollars and our tax dollars every time I fill up the tank. These have been in place for quite a while.

The only thing being added is toll booths.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maine is not vacation land but rather taxation land! Up in this miserable place not only do we get to pay tolls and high fuel taxes but also extremely high vehicle registration costs! The first year of registration for my jeep was over $600 !!!! Florida is definitely cheaper in that department and they don't rust out in 5 years!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Maine is not vacation land but rather taxation land! Up in this miserable place not only do we get to pay tolls and high fuel taxes but also extremely high vehicle registration costs! The first year of registration for my jeep was over $600 !!!! Florida is definitely cheaper in that department and they don't rust out in 5 years!

You want taxes?Come on down here buddy,I'll show you taxes:laughing9:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone even imagine the amount of money raised on our Federal gas tax ALONE for highway infrastructure (per year)....? And this doesn't even count the state tax for the same.

I know.... POLITICAL (STOP). I "think" a lot of the monies is NOT directed for the cause it was raised for but for other "causes". Everybody knows S.S. was "raided" years ago because the account was to tempting not to raid. I'm done.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Limitool-

and for public disclosure- I'm not looking for political opinions (for the mod's decision making process) I'm rather looking for factual basis on how the states are getting away with this? Under what concept or law? Where does it stop?

When will the entire Interstate system be a toll road?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Limitool-

and for public disclosure- I'm not looking for political opinions (for the mod's decision making process) I'm rather looking for factual basis on how the states are getting away with this? Under what concept or law? Where does it stop?

When will the entire Interstate system be a toll road?

Give it time,it'll happen.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
G.I.B., as far as the toll roads up here in maine go a few years ago our governor looked into the turnpike authority and found loads of corruption, embezzlement, and misappropriation of funds. They were having unbelievable parties (complete with strippers) all out of the toll money. Like I said earlier we have extremely high vehicle registration costs and that money is supposed to go to the roads. Instead it goes into fund other things like parties and the state police budget instead. I know I have heard previous governors during speeches claim we need more tolls and possibly a mileage tax so it's only bound to get worse. All the while you must have noticed how bad our roads are in general.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It cost me $21 in Baltimore to drive on the interstate. In Dallas I had no choice there either.

They don't have booths to run- photo of plate. It's a rental car so they hit the rental company, then the rental company adds on administrative (double) fees.

Where does it end?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If I answer where it ends I'll end up going political! Lol!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Going thru OK to MO the cost was $25 and we got stuck in a single lane because of road repairs and a semi stalled. I'd think because of that inconvenience the State would wave the tole. Coming home I went south of OK City and even though it was longer, I saved 2 hours.

The governments will get their end one way or other. Wife has family in New Hampshire. They are proud of no sales taxes. Live free or die right. Well the NH government is in the booze business (state run stores) that prevents competition and real estate taxes will break some. The State gets their end by what ever means it takes.

My understanding is that Italy owns a road in Indiana. Seems they bought it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well New Hampshire is part of New England and we know how New England loves to tax, but their roads do seem to be better maintained. Over 75% of my property tax bill in maine goes to the schools. And for my sales, property, income, registration and many other various taxes I get to destroy my vehicles with salt and massive potholes as well as frost heaves.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Toll roads have been in existence for at least 2,700 years. This is nothing new.

Doesn't mean it should continue. How much more does the government want? Between registration taxes, fuel taxes, hazardous waste taxes(tires, car batteries, oil) don't you think they get enough of our money?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't mean it should continue. How much more does the government want? Between registration taxes, fuel taxes, hazardous waste taxes(tires, car batteries, oil) don't you think they get enough of our money?

I hear ya. It is in some people's nature to be opposed to taxes (for an infinite number of various reasons).

Personally, I don't mind paying taxes. I understand the role taxes play to allow our society to function in everyday life.

But, I do recognize why many people are opposed to them.

2 sides to every story.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JB, I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes either, and I do- and a bit extra.

It's when the Interstate, the one we have been driving for years, and had been maintained by federal gas tax dollars, suddenly erects a toll booth and starts charging.

No additional services, just another way of collecting money by giving you no choice, and nothing for it.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
JB, I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes either, and I do- and a bit extra.

It's when the Interstate, the one we have been driving for years, and had been maintained by federal gas tax dollars, suddenly erects a toll booth and starts charging.

No additional services, just another way of collecting money by giving you no choice, and nothing for it.

GIB: Quit your whining. Toll booths exist because they can. They exist because we allow them to. They exist because the rich are willing to pay more for a shorter route. You can find alternate routes without tolls, take it slower, and pay more in gas for the extra miles. Toll roads exist because if they were free then everybody would use them and they would no longer be convenient. If you want to get from point A to point B faster then from going to Point A to point B to point C then it is going to cost you. Then again, it will cost you if you don't. Is it a tax on the road or is it a tax to save taxes on the gas tax? If it is for work then maybe you can write the whole thing as a tax write off. I fear that amidst the sniveling you have lost track of what the real question is: When does a man say that Enough is enough?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toll roads are a scam, always have been - always will be - They just changed the wording in Minnesota, we now have a H.O.V. "high-occupancy vehicle" lane going into the city. My tax dollars paid for it, though I can't use it unless I pay extra or get someone to ride to work and back with me - Which doesn't workout in my profession.

Just pathetic!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Toll roads are a scam, always have been - always will be - They just changed the wording in Minnesota, we now have a H.O.V. "high-occupancy vehicle" lane going into the city. My tax dollars paid for it, though I can't use it unless I pay extra or get someone to ride to work and back with me - Which doesn't workout in my profession.

Just pathetic!

So when are you going to say Enough is Enough?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread