Todays no gas day

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Ya know not all the rich live the life styles being portrayed here. I personally live off the grid, we use two wind mills, one dam with hydro electric production as well as both methane and hydrogen production from animal and plant waste. Maybe some forward thinking on the part of others would keep more money in their wallets and that savings might then allow them to become part of the elite rich society everyone wants to put down.

jeff194307

Greenie
Dec 26, 2005
Monmouth IL
Folks, I noticed something yesterday while driving on the interstate. No one seems to care that the price is high, they drive their SUV's at 70-75 mph!!! As long as no one tries to conserve fuel, we will have this problem. People do not carpool when they can, they speed, they drive huge trucks and SUV's, then they complain about the price of gas. The oil companies get the profit, so why should they lower prices as long as we waste the gas??

S

Smee

>:( >:( >:(I am TOTALLY PO'd over this GAS mess!!!! >:( >:( >:(

However I did find a "silver lining" in this cloud.

As of today, I have started paying for gas in loose 50 cent pieces. I think this will make a statement to the people I deal with about just how unpleasant it is to pay $3/gallon today when the per barrell price of crude oil is $10 less than it was the last time gas was at $3/gallon. I know, don't make it hard on the employees . . . wrong! Who actually complains to and has the ear of the station's owner? The "good" employees. Who has the distributor's ear? The station owners. And so on . . .

The coins are legal tender, although heavier and bulkier than $20 bills. I would understand them complaining about paying in zinc (pennies) but they should not complain about the Kennedys. Why do this? Takes more of their time to process (I get to search more rolls), makes their deposits much heavier for the cashiers to handle (and I get to search more rolls), and I don't have to roll them up again. Besides, as I told the girl today: "If they're too heavy, you could always drop the price of Gas!"

Can you imagine them trying to take $10,000.00 in 50 cent pieces to the bank . . . they would need a wheel barrow! It would make such a mess in that little booth!! ;D :D

Let's see . . . $5 in kennedys is about 1 inch tall by 1 inch wide . . . 10 grand would take up a almost 14 cubic feet of space. Try lettin them haul that to the bank every day.

Dang! I can combine two of my favorite hobbies (coins and making a statement) into one! Who knows, if I buy enough gas now, I might find enough silver to make it worth my while!

The best part of the whole deal???? I don't have to roll em back up!!! Sounds like a plan to me!

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
But then on the other hand it takes more gas to get the coins to the bank. so the gas station has to pay more for transport and in turn charges us more for the incurred expense.

S

Smee

I had to colm down before writing this post, but Jeffro, You are mistaken.

Jeffro said:
We haven't built a refinery in 30 plus years

I would watch what I say, especially when it isn't true!!! I am a former Halliburton / Brown & Root employee. New refineries? Yes, new refineries were built in Texas AFTER 1980, because I worked on some coming out of the ground. Worked underground tying the rebar and putting up the concrete forms, etc.

That "30 plus years" is a statement straight out the Oil Companies' literature, and it ain't nothing but BOVINE SCAT!!!

Besides the new refineries, capacity was doubled and tripled on three south Louisiana refineries I personally worked on in the mid 1980's. If you double the size of the refinery, it's like building a new one. Then there's the Marathon Oil in Reserve, Louisiana. They broke ground in the 1980's, and they have never stopped expanding it in the 20+ years it has been there. They were still working on expansion when Katrina hit.

Yeah, it is a test to see how much the market will bear, and how much the government will let the oil companies get away with.

kdye401

Oct 22, 2004
Riverside California
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000DI Whites MXT
The only way I know to beat them is to boycot one brand of gas, say Exxon or Mobil. They would have to drop their prices, maybe leading to a gas war. We have to stick together and not buy there product till it drops $2.00 a gal.
Kenny Dye

I meant $2.00 drop from what it is now. The thing is soon as it drops .10 people will go back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kdye401 said:
The only way I know to beat them is to boycot one brand of gas, say Exxon or Mobil. They would have to drop their prices, maybe leading to a gas war. We have to stick together and not buy there product till it drops $2.00 a gal.
Kenny Dye

$2.00

I will never be happy with gas over 99.9 Per Gallon.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jonnyrebel00 said:
think he meant dropping $2.00 a gallon from what it is now. :-\

Yes he may have :)

To be honest though, I have to admit at this point I would
Settle for $2.00 a Gallon & that is a shame.

But I won't be completly happy with that price.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Smee said:
I had to colm down before writing this post, but Jeffro, You are mistaken.

Jeffro said:
We haven't built a refinery in 30 plus years

I would watch what I say, especially when it isn't true!!! I am a former Halliburton / Brown & Root employee. New refineries? Yes, new refineries were built in Texas AFTER 1980, because I worked on some coming out of the ground. Worked underground tying the rebar and putting up the concrete forms, etc.

That "30 plus years" is a statement straight out the Oil Companies' literature, and it ain't nothing but BOVINE SCAT!!!

Besides the new refineries, capacity was doubled and tripled on three south Louisiana refineries I personally worked on in the mid 1980's. If you double the size of the refinery, it's like building a new one. Then there's the Marathon Oil in Reserve, Louisiana. They broke ground in the 1980's, and they have never stopped expanding it in the 20+ years it has been there. They were still working on expansion when Katrina hit.

Yeah, it is a test to see how much the market will bear, and how much the government will let the oil companies get away with.

Not that I'm doubting you- but that statement is all over...

From msnbc-

But the solution — boosting refining capacity to allow a greater margin for error — isn’t easy. There hasn’t been a new refinery built in the U.S. since 1976, the result of extremely tight environmental restrictions, not-in-my-back-yard community opposition, and the high cost of new construction. Used refineries currently sell for about 30 to 50 percent of the cost of building a new one, so it’s cheaper to buy an old refinery and upgrade it. Or squeeze a little more gasoline out of the refineries you already own.

From the Reason foundation (liberal think tank)-

A new oil refinery has not been built in the United States since 1976. During that time, our gasoline use has increased over 25 percent. The nation's 149 existing refineries have been running at maximum capacity trying to meet record demand and, as a result, not only do we import oil, we actually have to import 10 percent of our daily gasoline from refineries overseas.

I won't go into all of them, its easy enough to do a google search yourself, there's scads of them.

Somehow you have information that all of the major news services have missed. A new oil refinery built since 1976. Please name it, and how much does it produce?

S

Smee

Jeffro said:
Not that I'm doubting you- but that statement is all over...

From msnbc-

But the solution — boosting refining capacity to allow a greater margin for error — isn’t easy. There hasn’t been a new refinery built in the U.S. since 1976, the result of extremely tight environmental restrictions, not-in-my-back-yard community opposition, and the high cost of new construction. Used refineries currently sell for about 30 to 50 percent of the cost of building a new one, so it’s cheaper to buy an old refinery and upgrade it. Or squeeze a little more gasoline out of the refineries you already own.

From the Reason foundation (liberal think tank)-

A new oil refinery has not been built in the United States since 1976. During that time, our gasoline use has increased over 25 percent. The nation's 149 existing refineries have been running at maximum capacity trying to meet record demand and, as a result, not only do we import oil, we actually have to import 10 percent of our daily gasoline from refineries overseas.

I won't go into all of them, its easy enough to do a google search yourself, there's scads of them.

Somehow you have information that all of the major news services have missed. A new oil refinery built since 1976. Please name it, and how much does it produce?

NEW REFINERY SINCE 1976: Mont Belview, Texas. Ground broke in April or May 1980 and that Exxon (when we were building it, don't kow whose name is on it now) refinery did not come on line until I believe 1983. I left that September to go to another Brown & Root job in Louisiana. I remember it well because it was the terrible summer of 1980 --- and people were dying all over the US and in droves in Texas because of the extreme heat and drougth. Where was I? In a trench tying rebar and building forms. We hadn't even ramped up to a full "Building" department (carpenters, rod busters, etc.) at that time. The building department is the first department to reach full force on a B&R project. That did not occur until sometime in 1981 - 5 years after the last refinery was built in this country. Did we scede that land to Mexico or something?

Sorry Jeffro, not they did not "MISS" the story --- the answer is that either:

1. THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO DO THE NEEDED RESEARCH!!! (The most likely answer)
2. They are following the party line. (Also very likely - nobody wants to wake up to a horse head in their bed.)

I look at the constant procession of people claiming that one political party is better than another. Both Democrat and Republican claim that they are better than the other. One promises that they support programs in option A, the other claims that this is wrong and claims to support programs in option B. Once they are in power, we always get option F, meaning things continue just as they were in the downward spiral of erroding liberties.

The REAL problem is, no matter which party is voted into power, YOUR rights and MY rights are constantly being taken away --- and not slowly like it was before. It is like a magician who wants you to keep watching his right hand while he is making the trick work with his left.

People look to this party or that party to solve their problems, but since the errosion of rights (not the errosion of "entitlements" however) is going in a straight line and at increasing speed can only mean that it doesn't make a rat's a**'s difference which party is in power. It is only an illusion.

As I said in many posts to another forum back in early 2006: By the November elections the price of gas will be at or below $2.00 - and within a month after the elections, it will once again begin it's upward climb. It did, and it has, and will continue as long as people believe what they are told without taking the time to question anything.

How, with shortages and high costs, could the oil companies be enjoying the biggest profits in decades? If my business experiences a sudden increase in revenue, I purchase items which will grow my business (webdesign). If I were a refinery owner, I would be investing that money back into infrastructure to secure my ability to produce revenue in the future --- especially if I really did have a lack of capacity today. Do you think I am smarter than these people? I don't think so either.

What I am is someone who is willing to watch the other hand. No, I don't think Bigfoot is real, I don't believe in UFO's, and I am not a conspiracy theorist (although I have watched Alex Jones' "Loose Change 911").

I believe the public will always get what they deserve, and if they are lazy enough to listen to the oil companies (and the media who get their information from the oil companies instead of investigating --- which would mean WORK), then they / we deserve to get screwed at the pump.

I just ain't happy about it, and I won't keep my mouth shut.

xd

Oct 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
gas goes up gas goes down. It's part of life in the long run it's cheaper to drive an suv than a hybrid during the life of the vehical. I drive an suv simply because a hybrid would not be able to go where I need to when I need to an carries the amount of people I need to. For some reason gas prices don't bother me much. I also think it's b.s to take it out on gas station employees or owners. Do you think he has a choice what he pays for it? So let me get this right you pay for 50.00 in gas with 50 cent pieces? What are you proving and to who?
well let me tell you your little private war against gas prices are just making you hold up people in line behind you. you are not proving any point nor are they going to lower the gas prices they are just going to give you crappy service and If I owned that station you would be forced to wait until there was no one in line.
Thats almost the same as the eco dweebs that try to drive 55 in the fast lane so they help conserve gas, And spray paint suv's to prove a point. My escalade back when I had it got spray painted once. what did it do? Nothing but jack up everyone else's insurance payments.

sorry for the rant but this kind of thing really tweaks me.

jeff194307

Greenie
Dec 26, 2005
Monmouth IL
xd, you are one of the people that I was talking about. As long as we american citizens do not care about fuel econemy, the price will not go down. The only way to force the price down is use less fuel so that the oil companies have too much on hand. Simple economics- supply and demand. Now if we all drove as little as possible and did not waste fuel when we did drive, then the price would need to fall because the demand fell. Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen because we are all too stupid to create a glut of oil. No one wants to carpool, no one wants to park the truck for a while, no one will slow down, etc. We are our own worst enemies.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Jeffro is correct. No new oil refinery has been built since 1976. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out as the information is readily available on the internet.

Smee - By the way Mont Belvieu is the hub of the NGL industry(natural gas). Odds are the facility you were involved in was for natural gas and not an oil refinery.

The public is indeed blissfully ignorant of the oil industry. Every time gasoline prices jump(or even decrease) we get wild ass oil company conspiracy theories running wild on the forums. The relationship between the liberal media and the oil industry has always been hostile. There hasn't been an industry so acutely investigated as the oil industry has been by the media and government agencies. A certain Pulitzer Prize awaits one of the eager hordes of investigative jouralists who can find a smoking gun in the oil industry. Every time gasoline prices jump we get a new govenment investigation for price gouging by the oil industry. Never mind that these government investigations have found nothing in countless decades.

Find someone to blame- Well blame ourselves. The majority of the public embraces environmentalism. Severly restrict exploration of new oil reserves and fight all new refinery or energy development is a prime directive of BIG GREEN- Heaven forbid drilling in Anwar or offshore Florida.

We are not that serious yet about our energy crisis. We are not going to give up our SUVs or embace a new refinery being built in our community. Nor will we permit new offshore drilling which would spoil our views. Perhaps when gasoline reaches $10 a gallon we will get serious.

George

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
rayzhell said:
Remember if you can avoid it don't buy gas today its suppose to be national stick it to the gas company day lol
Won't make any difference. You'll just but it another day. Complete waste of time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:
rayzhell said:
Remember if you can avoid it don't buy gas today its suppose to be national stick it to the gas company day lol
Won't make any difference. You'll just but it another day. Complete waste of time.

Your Right.

Don't buy any gas for the rest of 2007

But that means Everyone.

This May work,
But will never happen.

That is if all the Refineries didn't start selling outside
the country then.

A complete Strike by all Truckers
Nationwide would lower Deisel
but they would probably Tack those losses
on us.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
"NEW REFINERY SINCE 1976: Mont Belview, Texas. Ground broke in April or May 1980 and that Exxon (when we were building it, don't kow whose name is on it now) refinery did not come on line until I believe 1983. I left that September to go to another Brown & Root job in Louisiana. I remember it well because it was the terrible summer of 1980 --- and people were dying all over the US and in droves in Texas because of the extreme heat and drougth. Where was I? In a trench tying rebar and building forms. We hadn't even ramped up to a full "Building" department (carpenters, rod busters, etc.) at that time. The building department is the first department to reach full force on a B&R project. That did not occur until sometime in 1981 - 5 years after the last refinery was built in this country. Did we scede that land to Mexico or something?

Sorry Jeffro, not they did not "MISS" the story --- the answer is that either:

1. THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO DO THE NEEDED RESEARCH!!! (The most likely answer)"....

I understand your anger, and was just asking a question. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was being a smartass, I just couldn't find ANY that had been built since 1976. I mean, ones that actually produce. Several have been started, and most get stopped by enviromentalists before they even break ground.

I completely understand your statement about the press. One genius at AP prints a story, and the rest run with it without even bothering to check facts. Sometimes its doubtful the original guy checked facts, LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions