Todays no gas day

S

Smee

xd said:
So let me get this right you pay for 50.00 in gas with 50 cent pieces? What are you proving and to who?
well let me tell you your little private war against gas prices are just making you hold up people in line behind you. you are not proving any point nor are they going to lower the gas prices they are just going to give you crappy service and If I owned that station you would be forced to wait until there was no one in line.

. . . sorry for the rant but this kind of thing really tweaks me.

You worried you might be behind me? Only in Crossett, Arkansas. Besides, my Ford Danger only holds 12 gallons, so it would have to be over $4/gallon to be $50.00 --- had to stop driving the Jeep. I can only allot a fixed amount for gasoline each week because everything else is going up because of the transportation cost increase.

Sorry, what TWEAKS me is the unquestioned statements by the oil companies, the compliance by the whitehouse, the constant BS coming from people who stand to profit if there is a fuel shortage, and people who are so naive as to think that we should be paying $4 and $5 per gallon. How can you recognize these folks? They complain whenever someone decides to take any small step to challenge the lies of the oil companies.

Private war? Don't use those phrases . . . I am simply making a point, that if they are going to lie, and gouge me, I'll make their lifes a little less pleasing. Taking it out on the employees? The ones here think the gas prices are ok. Of course, they are usually uneducated people who will follow the party line, most of them looking forward to growing up to be dependent on the government in the next ten years anyways.

People, for the most part, are like ostriches. When they hear danger is coming, they stick their head in the sand and hope it goes away. They'll listen to any line the oil companies give them, and believe the media is always right.

S

Smee

bakergeol said:
Jeffro is correct. No new oil refinery has been built since 1976. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out as the information is readily available on the internet.

. . . and we all know that the internet only contains truth, and is always honest and has great integrity.

bakergeol said:
Smee - By the way Mont Belvieu is the hub of the NGL industry(natural gas). Odds are the facility you were involved in was for natural gas and not an oil refinery.

Dang!!! I said EXXON at least twice. I'll have to go back and see since I worked in the "Refinery Division" of Brown & Root, weekly paycheck signed by some guy calling himself "Dick Cheney".

bakergeol said:
The public is indeed blissfully ignorant of the oil industry.

As they hope we are willing to remain. Nothing allows for price gouging like complacency.

bakergeol said:
Every time gasoline prices jump(or even decrease) we get wild ass oil company conspiracy theories running wild on the forums.

No conspiracy theory. Conspiracy fact. If a barrel of oil is $10 less than it was when we reached this per gallon price previously, why is the price so high? Oh yeah, the oil companies say we don't have enough "reserve supplies". Dang! What is that smell? I musta stepped in something.

bakergeol said:
The relationship between the liberal media and the oil industry has always been hostile. There hasn't been an industry so acutely investigated as the oil industry has been by the media and government agencies. A certain Pulitzer Prize awaits one of the eager hordes of investigative jouralists who can find a smoking gun in the oil industry.

Those days are gone. Reporters don't really "investigate" anymore. They take the information disseminated by various Public Relations people and put them together to make a story. TRUE investigative journalism is DEAD. If a story fell in someone's lap, they might run with it, but its more likely that they would sell it to the one who would pay the most . . . which in this case would be the oil companies.

bakergeol said:
Every time gasoline prices jump we get a new govenment investigation for price gouging by the oil industry. Never mind that these government investigations have found nothing in countless decades.

Three words which scare the bejesus out of the oil industry: Windfall Profits Tax --- was the result of an investigation. Record profits like these are the result of some sort of hanky panky. In the '70's they were expecting Tricky Dick to still be president in '76 when this crap started the first time. Started shortly after his second term began. They were smarter this time, and we're paying for it.

bakergeol said:
Find someone to blame- Well blame ourselves. The majority of the public embraces environmentalism. Severly restrict exploration of new oil reserves and fight all new refinery or energy development is a prime directive of BIG GREEN- Heaven forbid drilling in Anwar or offshore Florida.

If there were a shortage, that would be a problem . . . the shortage is an illusion, created by people who understand how easy it is to mislead an uneducated, uncaring populace.

bakergeol said:
We are not that serious yet about our energy crisis. We are not going to give up our SUVs or embace a new refinery being built in our community. Nor will we permit new offshore drilling which would spoil our views. Perhaps when gasoline reaches $10 a gallon we will get serious.

I have parked my SUV. Now driving an 87 Ford Danger pickup to work with a tiny 4 cylinder engine, manual tranny, and taking it easy on the starts and stops. As a repo man, it's kinda hard to take someone's stuff in a Kia Optima or Geo Storm.

However, I have used those driving habits since the 1970's, no matter what I drive.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Well, this is a long weekend in Canada (May 2-4 weekend, a celebration of beer and blackflies) Gas just took a jump 8 cents a liter (including exchange, thats over $0.33 a U.S.Gallon) we are now paying $1.12 a liter x 3.78 + 10% = $4.66 U.S. per U.S. gallon .. I just did a laser cutting job for an oil company, and added 60% to the cost just because I knew the Oil company needed the piece, and they couldn't get it anywhere else.. Partial Revenge is sweet.. Anyone who does anything for oil companies should add a 40-60% surcharge.. Fairs Fair.. You have expenses too

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GunFarce said:
Well, this is a long weekend in Canada (May 2-4 weekend, a celebration of beer and blackflies) Gas just took a jump 8 cents a liter (including exchange, thats over $0.33 a U.S.Gallon) we are now paying $1.12 a liter x 3.78 + 10% = $4.66 U.S. per U.S. gallon .. I just did a laser cutting job for an oil company, and added 60% to the cost just because I knew the Oil company needed the piece, and they couldn't get it anywhere else.. Partial Revenge is sweet.. Anyone who does anything for oil companies should add a 40-60% surcharge.. Fairs Fair.. You have expenses too

Good One !

I think I would have Doubled my Price for them ;)

S

Smee

GunFarce said:

Increased cost of doing business comes from the fuel price increases. Very smart person. Did you make sure that they understood that it was because of increased fuel and utilities cost to you, and to your suppliers . . . all the way back to the people who produced the materials?

Like your thinking.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I had to chuckle when I just saw a CBS news segment on rising gasoline prices a few minutes ago. Yep- a lack of refineries was blamed- again no new refineries built since 1976. I suppose just another media/oil industry coverup? ;D ;D ;D ;D

George

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
toping out at 4 bucks here in the big city/chicago

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Everyone,

As tempting as it is to slam the oil companies, consider some of these forces/reasons for higher gas prices:

Increased demand for oil/gas in countries like China and India where their economies are growing at 7%-8% annually where 3 1/2%- 45 growth for the U. S. Their economies, like ours, runs on oil. More money in the hands of those consumers means more sales of cars, plastics, etc. which increased demand.

In my state of NC, 29.9 cents per gallon tax in addition to the 18 cents fed tax. A gallon of 87 octane costs $3.09 this morning. Subtract the 48-49 cents in taxes and I would be paying about $2.60 a gallon.

The number of special blends mandated by state law to be sold in states like CALIFORNIA, etc. That means additional costs passed onto the consumer.

the costs of exploration, production, recovery, refining, transporting, etc. the finished product to the pump.

The military/religious/and political unrest in the major oil-producing regions of the world. And as mentioned earlier, Florida and NC legislators unwilling to allow exploration and drilling off the coasts of these states. Not mention Alaska!

What the heck else? Oh yeah, the oil companies trying to make a profit. Below is a website that might be of interest to you all.

Seajay

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/index.html

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seajay said:
Everyone,

As tempting as it is to slam the oil companies, consider some of these forces/reasons for higher gas prices:

In my state of NC, 29.9 cents per gallon tax in addition to the 18 cents fed tax. A gallon of 87 octane costs $3.09 this morning. Subtract the 48-49 cents in taxes and I would be paying about $2.60 a gallon.

I'm not completly sure the Oil companies wouldn't be charging you
49 cents more per gallon at the pump if there were no taxes.

I think you would still be paying $3.09 taxes or Not.

My reasoning. Not all states have taxes that high or that low
& still have the same Prices at the pump.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
And I see from the chart you provided that the price went from $2.90 to $3.36 and the only difference was almost a 50% profit for the oil co. between Mar.5th and April 30th on branded gas.

Refinery Cost and Profits $0.86 $1.04 $1.12 $1.00 $1.00 $1.11 $1.14 $1.04 $1.11

Retail prices $2.90 $3.07 $3.08 $3.15 $3.23 $3.25 $3.31 $3.32 $3.36

I'm sitting within 2 blocks of one of the largest oil co. tank farms that are full. The price of gas here is the highest in the entire state. I see a series of stations owned by a gentleman that also owns the distribution of the gas to those stations and he is the 1st in town to raise his own prices. I watched him raise his price from $3.14 to $3.39 in one day and then lower it a nickle the next day while others dropped it .08 in the same time frame. I traveled 45 miles and found that another town was selling their gas for $3.25.

I know of one oil field in particular that was abandoned in the late 20's that is producing again and they're drilling new wells as fast as they can. (at least 3-4 per week)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
stoney56 said:
And I see from the chart you provided that the price went from $2.90 to $3.36 and the only difference was almost a 50% profit for the oil co. between Mar.5th and April 30th on branded gas.

Refinery Cost and Profits $0.86 $1.04 $1.12 $1.00 $1.00 $1.11 $1.14 $1.04 $1.11

Retail prices $2.90 $3.07 $3.08 $3.15 $3.23 $3.25 $3.31 $3.32 $3.36

I'm sitting within 2 blocks of one of the largest oil co. tank farms that are full. The price of gas here is the highest in the entire state. I see a series of stations owned by a gentleman that also owns the distribution of the gas to those stations and he is the 1st in town to raise his own prices. I watched him raise his price from $3.14 to $3.39 in one day and then lower it a nickle the next day while others dropped it .08 in the same time frame. I traveled 45 miles and found that another town was selling their gas for $3.25.

I know of one oil field in particular that was abandoned in the late 20's that is producing again and they're drilling new wells as fast as they can. (at least 3-4 per week)

I don't see a 50% increase in profits for the oil company in the charts provided. Refinery cost and profits are exactly that- costs and profits. The major cost in a gallon of gasoline besides the cost of the oil is the refining cost. The oil companies make roughly 10 cents a gallon on imported oil. This is in contrast to the 42 cents average for state and Federal taxes on gasoline.In the past state and federal government with fuel taxes makes about twice the profit that the oil companies make. Yet you don't hear anything about high government "profits" on the news. Find what you are paying in gasoline taxes for your state from the link below.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b01d6766869.htm
http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/1139.html

Yes some of those old wells are now profitable to reenter and attempt secondary recovery. However, new oil discoveries are rare so most new wells drilled are non productive. I should know I have been sitting on wells being drilled for the last 30 years.

George

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
That list must be old- Our taxes on gasoline here are higher than 42 cents a gallon. Although I guess its because we have county and city taxes on top of that. Another 8 cents for the city, making it 50 cents a gallon more, and I'm not sure about the county. the city has raised the taxes for street improvements every chance they get, and the backlog of improvements continually grows.

the county wants their share for public services. They have raised them a bunch in the last few years, and services keep getting slashed.

Give them more, get less in return. Makes perfect sense to me... :P

Gas is ranging from 3.28 to 3.68 in my city today. http://www.gasbuddy.com/

S

Smee

Well, we're feeling the pinch here at work. Our foot traffic has all but disappeared in the last month and a half. Since folks started seeing the writing on the wall, our retail furniture business has tanked. Dropping prices, special financing, nothing interests anyone.

The ones we have talked with are becoming concerned that the rising gas costs, which are driving up everything we buy today, are sending us into another recession like they did back in the 70's. They're probably right. Good times ahead for the repo man I guess . . . Dang, and I was enjoying just collecting money. Oh well, better start loosening up my back!

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Jeffro said:
That list must be old- Our taxes on gasoline here are higher than 42 cents a gallon. Although I guess its because we have county and city taxes on top of that. Another 8 cents for the city, making it 50 cents a gallon more, and I'm not sure about the county. the city has raised the taxes for street improvements every chance they get, and the backlog of improvements continually grows.

the county wants their share for public services. They have raised them a bunch in the last few years, and services keep getting slashed.

Give them more, get less in return. Makes perfect sense to me... :P

Gas is ranging from 3.28 to 3.68 in my city today. http://www.gasbuddy.com/

I only 'wish' our fuel taxes were 50 cents a gallon
Our fuel tax in Ontario is 36 cents 'per liter' thats $1.36 on a U.S Gallon, or $1.64 on a imperial gallon..While your paying the equiv. of 13.2 cent per liter.. Sucks to be us..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread