fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It ain't paranoia of my government, it flat out creeps me out, call it whatever you want and try and justify it all you want. There GD'd peeping tom's! What legitimate reason would anyone have to fly uninvited over or around another persons house with a camera equipped drone if it wasn't to be an ill purposed voyeur of some sort? Even worse is folks defending their actions like it's a perfectly normal thing as if they have a "right" to do it. Is it really that hard to respect a persons privacy or their property? Personally I think they should of got an Azz whuppin to go along with their shot up toy!
I was born with a shotgun in my hand and have been huntng birds my entire life- hence my username, there is no way in heck that the drone was where the pilots say it was. They are flat out lying! I don't care how good of a shooter you are with a shotgun, you can't out shoot ballistics, the pellets will only go so far and retain so much energy for only so long. Benelli trick shooter Tom Knapp couldn't have done the shot they say the shooter did!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a great future in my new drone jammer machines and drone nets on helium balloons.

The old RC cars were fun! If the neighbor was running his in the street? you could change the crystals in your remote and control his car. :laughing7: Too bad the drones weren't that easy! I'm sure someone somewhere can do it.:laughing7:

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't buy the guys excuse that he was afraid that the drone was taking pictures of his daughters sunbathing.

Is he not aware of the risqué selfie phase teenagers go through with cell phones and the internet?

The person puling the trigger is responsible for entire path of the projectile once it leaves the firearm.

Alllll the way till it hits something else. (which every projectile fired must do, it must hit something eventually)

So, open fire. Let the lead fly and land wherever it may.

BTW- if its that close he should have been able to take it out with a paintball gun, a rock, a fishing weight on a fishing pole, a piece of rope, a stick...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy the guys excuse that he was afraid that the drone was taking pictures of his daughters sunbathing.

Is he not aware of the risqué selfie phase teenagers go through with cell phones and the internet?

The person puling the trigger is responsible for entire path of the projectile once it leaves the firearm.

Alllll the way till it hits something else. (which every projectile fired must do, it must hit something eventually)

BTW- if its that close he should have been able to take it out with a paintball gun, a rock, a fishing weight on a fishing pole, a piece of rope, a stick...

Either way! Still responsible for the rock,a fishing weight on a fishing pole,a piece of rope, a stick......Just the same as a bullet. Why is it ok to throw a rock, but not a bullet! The responsibility is the same!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

agreed..a shooter is always responsible for anything hit or injured by his projectile.in the case of a drone being damaged...maybe not.surely depends on the individual circumstance.the statutes reguarding the discharge and the codes relating to personal property protection.I can assure you that I would have no trouble with the statutes should this arise over my property.
This has even been addressed at a local council meeting attended by our local sherriff watch commander.There are places here where you cant and places where you can discharge a firearm on private property in this area.

thank goodness this is not a hyper progressive community,so property and privacy rights carry more weight than the rights of a remotely tresspasing hobbyist.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, Not trying to be funny! I could probably launch a potato or, pear or apple. etc....and do far more damage than a shotgun at long range. I'd much rather have a few bb's or even a bullet fall out of the sky and hit me by gravity when it ran out of power, than a fruit or vegetable or, uh?,.......Rock! :laughing7: Not saying I would be accurate at all. But the fallout(?) would be way worse!
I hear it now ...."Oh, it was one of those nasty hillbilly's with a gun!" GUILTY! :laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Either way! Still responsible for the rock,a fishing weight on a fishing pole,a piece of rope, a stick......Just the same as a bullet. Why is it ok to throw a rock, but not a bullet! The responsibility is the same!

If you can throw a rock half a mile and kill someone with it you will have my complete admiration. (and ex-wifes address)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can throw a rock a half a mile and kill someone with it you will have my complete admiration. (and ex-wifes address)

I was referring to where you said let the lead fly and land wherever it may. What I was getting at was "landing" lead can cause little damage. No, I would not want to be in a path of direct fire when the bullet still has muzzle velocity(?).But after that runs out and gravity kicks in, I'm not scared for the most part.:laughing7:Not afraid of dying from people shooting in the air, my chances are good!(thinking shot gun or pistol) And sure there are exceptions.
Doesn't have to be a half a mile to kill someone. If you can kill anything at a half a mile with a shotgun or a pistol! I'd be amazed and you would probably make a lot of money from that invention! Can I launch a rock the distance of a shotgun shoots? Maybe with some thought. Would it do more damage falling out of the sky? Would that rock have more of a chance of killing someone than a few bb's falling back to earth? You can't kill a thing at a half a mile away with a shotgun! Probably not even with a pistol! :laughing7:

How about we stand in the same spots. We will take turns,You shoot up in the air with a shot gun or pistol, I'll launch a bunch of rocks straight up! Who is going to be more worried or has a greeter chance of get hurt bad. We could even do it at long distant arches. You guys want to demonize guns, think a shotgun will shoot and kill something at a half mile? I seriously want one of those then!!!:laughing7:

Heck, I'll let you shoot at me from a half mile away! With most guns! There's a few I wouldn't want!:laughing7: But any shotgun or pistol. I'm sure there are a few pistols that I might be a little worried, but not too many. You would still have to hit me. And the chances would be slim.

Hey, GIB, I'm just having fun with ya! :laughing7:I understand what your saying.....Everyone can't just be running out the door shooting at stuff unless they understand the path of the bullet! With that said? I do value my privacy and space, and probably would have no problem blowing a drone, camcorder, trail cam apart that was following me or invading my privacy. And Can see how people would get upset about that.

You wouldn't have to worry about me jumping up and running out the door with a gun. First, I'd have to try to remember safe combo,I always get the order of the numbers switched around and would have to play around with it for a half hour, then if it's one of the guns with a cable or trigger lock? I'd have to find the key! Oh, and the ammo? That's in a different safe, So? There's another combo and number issue to remember and mess with.Then figure out which mag goes to what gun and why are they missing?..Etc.....An hour later........... By then I'd be so frustrated I would just throw rocks! Or the wife's dishes at it! I like and will defend guns,and the second amendment, but I'm not quick to jump with them. Most people I know Are real responsible with their guns, I have run into a few that are nuts! And maybe this guy Is nuts! We don't know enough yet. Still fun to talk about!

Last edited:

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also no law against shooting down a drone that is flying over your property. And I'm not going to mess with someone that can hit a drone at 455 feet with a .40 cal handgun! James Bond couldn't shoot that well.

The shooter got in trouble because he lived within the city limits of a municipality that did have an ordnance against discharging a weapon.

I have two drones - one with camera - and a dozen fixed wing R/C aircraft of various size up to 85" wingspan. I am a member of the AMA (voluntary nat'l organization) and one of the rules is that a pilot does not overfly people, vessels, vehicles or structures.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

So, I assume if you are overhead you have lost control and are a hazard to life and livestock, and I am assisting in recovery efforts.

You may want to do some reading if you think there is no law about shooting down aircraft. The FAA considers drones, even consumer drones aircraft.

Also, he had no livestock, he lives in a small city. Beyond that, the GPS data shows that the drone was nowhere near where the shooter claimed it to be. Which is part of the reason he was arrested and facing charges. And why the drone operator is not.

You guys are missing the whole point of this. The guy shot an aircraft out of the air and lied about why. And then threatened to kill the owner of the drone. I really hate some of my fellow citizens. Thinking everyone is out to get them. I still find it hard to believe how paranoid people in this country are.

Adding to this... I fly drones, but not the type this paranoid freak shot down. I fly racing drones, which have cameras attached for FPV and youtube video purposes.

Last edited:

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It ain't paranoia of my government, it flat out creeps me out, call it whatever you want and try and justify it all you want. There GD'd peeping tom's! What legitimate reason would anyone have to fly uninvited over or around another persons house with a camera equipped drone if it wasn't to be an ill purposed voyeur of some sort? Even worse is folks defending their actions like it's a perfectly normal thing as if they have a "right" to do it. Is it really that hard to respect a persons privacy or their property? Personally I think they should of got an Azz whuppin to go along with their shot up toy!
I was born with a shotgun in my hand and have been huntng birds my entire life- hence my username, there is no way in heck that the drone was where the pilots say it was. They are flat out lying! I don't care how good of a shooter you are with a shotgun, you can't out shoot ballistics, the pellets will only go so far and retain so much energy for only so long. Benelli trick shooter Tom Knapp couldn't have done the shot they say the shooter did!

First off. As I stated the person flying the drone doesn't need to lie. He has video and GPS telemetry evidence on his side. It shows the exact location of his drone at all times, including speed, altitude direction it and the camera are pointing and of-course GPS coordinates with a moving map. You don't seem to understand how freedom works. Anybody can fly an aircraft of any type over your house or anyone elses... With-in the boundary of FAA regulations of-course. This drone and it's "pilot" were well with-in their legal rights flying where they were, as to why he was flying where he was, it's called aerial photography... Even if he was or was not taking pictures of this guys house or any other, it is not a crime to do so. Also there would be no detail of his daughters or anyone else visible, as I stated in my original post, beyond that, when you are outside of your home, you are in public, which means you have ZERO expectation of privacy. Just because you are standing on your property the rules don't change, even with a privacy fence. If you somehow think that people don't have the right to fly over your home, you are mistaken. They also have every right to take photos of your home and anything around it. As long as they are not standing on your property, they are well with-in their rights to do so. Is it creepy sure... But not against the law. If that person IS however on your property, or for instance, this drone, IF this drone was low enough to look into the windows of a home, there is then a breach of privacy and also because the drone is flying below your roof line, you could argue that you felt threatened. In-which case you could then take action against the drone.

You are right, as I may have said earlier the shooter is lying about either where he was when he shot, OR what kind of weapon he fired. Depending on the weapon he may face charges of public endangerment.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
91 yards off the ground. Plus angle of shot, plus moving target. Safe from me.
Hell of a shot on the drone! I've broke a few clay pigeons. Ain't much gas left at fifty yards, and few hits beyond 25.
Shot around #8 hitting woodline is commonly heard at various ranges. It's pattering around eighty if the shot was upward. You'd know if it's hitting you at eighty but not much to show for it.
Maybe with a slug such range is possible on a small target at low odds, but doubtful in this case due to the projectile coming back to earth being recognized in an occupied area.
Heck of a long shot. Wonder what he was using? A dose of eights sounds awful light to carry energy that far . No shot load comes to mind for that range. Buckshot maybe but the odds of hitting a Frisbee would be awful low at ninety yards.

Last edited:
S

stefen

While exhibiting at the Rewood Regional AutoExpo last weekend, a copter-type drone with a camera flew maybe 20 feet above the classic cars.

In fact it flew maybe within 15' from where I was standing.

It was maybe 24" square with 4 motors and made enough noise that a simple conversation was impossible.

Had this aircraft developed a problem, it would have come down in an extremely crowded area, or could have damaged several valuable vehicles.

I'm not sure it was a sanctioned fly-over....if it had been, someone certainly has their head up where the sun don't shine.

They have their place and should be used within a given set of standards.

Public and property safety should be a primary concern...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I can promise you if I step outside my home I do have an expectation of privacy and it sure the hell isn't "ZERO". Where "ZERO" comes in is beyond me. Now I'm one of those type of guys where if I can hear, see and spot a hovering drone over my property and it continues to do so.... I'll bring it down in a heartbeat and think nothing of it.

How would you know all about the data collected by the drone which was shot down? Let alone stick up for it as a "fact"? Sounds like whatever he fired arms wise he hit his mark so good for him. If I lived within a city limits (I don't) and a drone hovered over my property I'd bring out a .22 and bring it down quickly. On my property I'd get the .22 mag out and reach out a little.

How in the hell do you know what camera mods were done or ANYTHING about this drone? I raised 5 daughters, with a pool and if anybody was hovering above it wouldn't last but a minute.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can promise you if I step outside my home I do have an expectation of privacy and it sure the hell isn't "ZERO". Where "ZERO" comes in is beyond me. Now I'm one of those type of guys where if I can hear, see and spot a hovering drone over my property and it continues to do so.... I'll bring it down in a heartbeat and think nothing of it.

How would you know all about the data collected by the drone which was shot down? Let alone stick up for it as a "fact"? Sounds like whatever he fired arms wise he hit his mark so good for him. If I lived within a city limits (I don't) and a drone hovered over my property I'd bring out a .22 and bring it down quickly. On my property I'd get the .22 mag out and reach out a little.

How in the hell do you know what camera mods were done or ANYTHING about this drone? I raised 5 daughters, with a pool and if anybody was hovering above it wouldn't last but a minute.

Yes,And on the flip side, I really wish they had this stuff when I was a teenager looking at girls!!:laughing7: Then we wouldn't have had to run out of yards being chased by angry dads!!!:laughing7:Kids these days are just plain lazy! Flying drones, instead of just sneaking around!!!:laughing7: I mean? How are you going to throw pennies at or tap on a window with a drone?

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading logistics, such as how far drone was from home is ridiculous.
My land is my land from ground and up. Ida shot it too.
These drones are becoming extremely invasive and problematic.
Peace ✌

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1926, Congress created what we now call the FAA, and declared that the air above 500 feet is the public domain.

Thomas Causby was a chicken farmer in North Carolina who lived near a tiny airport. During World War II, the Army took over the airport, and suddenly big military planes were flying over Causby's chicken coops all the time. The planes scared Causby's chickens. They flew into the walls of the coop and died.

Causby sued the government, and the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. In the end, the court sided with Causby, ruling that landowners own the sky above their homes up to at least 83 feet.

But the decision still left a gap. If the air above 500 feet is public property, and the air below 83 feet is private property, what about the space in between?

This is the territory that entrepreneurs dreaming of drones have their eyes on.

I personally have no qualms shooting at a drone over my property at less than a 100 feet or 10 story building. I would most likely use pellet or BB gun vs a firearm...

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
83'??!? What a strange arbitrary number to pick?!?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may want to do some reading if you think there is no law about shooting down aircraft. The FAA considers drones, even consumer drones aircraft.

Hardly. Unless you are operating the drone commercially. Otherwise they would require maintenance records for ours of operation. Require display of registration numbers, require licensed operators and limit their use when below 500 feet and require the operator to have passed a recent physical exam.

But don't worry. The FAA is becoming more aware of the drone problems and will be stepping in eventually.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

I hope when you are using your FPV you have a spotter keeping the aircraft in visual sight.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardly. Unless you are operating the drone commercially. Otherwise they would require maintenance records for ours of operation. Require display of registration numbers, require licensed operators and limit their use when below 500 feet and require the operator to have passed a recent physical exam.

But don't worry. The FAA is becoming more aware of the drone problems and will be stepping in eventually.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

I hope when you are using your FPV you have a spotter keeping the aircraft in visual sight.

Throwing all this aside. I thought there were laws on spying on your neighbors. I know the laws aren't very clear in some areas. Can I legally stand on your property line with equipment, and watch,record, or collect any kind of information on you? We had a nutcase neighbor video taping everyone. Fixing it on our doors. The cops told him to stop. Then he put up surveillance cameras pointing at our doors(couple of houses) and windows. The city told us he was allowed as long as they were watching a part of his property, like the end of his drive. So he had to take some of them down. People are creepy! I find it hard to believe that you can just run around looking into what ever you want. I won't put a mile long post on what this clown did(and is still doing to the people in that neighborhood) But a lot of us neighbors wanted to take a ballbat to his cameras and him. He was creepy and would happen to show up at the grocery store and places the girls or wives were. He was always on the edge of laws and not a thing anyone could do. He used intimidation from the stuff he collected.

I would hope it these cases become more of a privacy issue over airspace, or both!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread