Drone shot down

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I was referring to where you said let the lead fly and land wherever it may. What I was getting at was "landing" lead can cause little damage.

Tell these parents that falling lead will cause no harm.

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 7.02.55 PM.png

And these parents,

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 7.05.07 PM.png

This kid was walking down the street and took a bullet to the top of his head.

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 7.07.56 PM.png

I'm not defending drones- or the flights.

I'd like to see people a little less anxious to whip out the firearm. (I own more than a couple of them and always carry, so I'm not an anti-gun person)

These non-lethal pieces of falling lead seem to kill quite often.

That's my point. If you live in a congested area-

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why I say I would use a BB or pellet gun...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely bullets must be accountable for when launching. Heck I've been scared during a city new years lapse of judgement by what sounded like multiple dozens of shooters before.
Knowing what goes up......
My argument was of #8 shot not retaining energy enough to cause grievous wounds at 80 plus yards in the o.p.'s original case..Even half of that distance he'd have his work cut out for him.
No I'd not test it there for the sake of testing,with my luck.

Jesuit-trade-rings.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell these parents that falling lead will cause no harm.

View attachment 1193907

And these parents,

View attachment 1193908

This kid was walking down the street and took a bullet to the top of his head.

View attachment 1193909

I'm not defending drones- or the flights.

I'd like to see people a little less anxious to whip out the firearm. (I own more than a couple of them and always carry, so I'm not an anti-gun person)

These non-lethal pieces of falling lead seem to kill quite often.

That's my point. If you live in a congested area-

Yes, they can kill. I guess I took it as shooting up in the air and falling back. Either way. I see what your saying. I find it hard to believe shooting up in the air with a shotgun or small caliber is going to come back to the ground with deadly force.Any more than a rock, Is the direction I was thinking you were talking about. Anyhow, Just for conversation! I'm sure it might sting and in a "every condition just right" kill. I'm also thinking about the guns mentioned in article. It doesn't matter anyhow, just something to talk about. You can be right! I'm not afraid of falling bullets.A ricochet, or stray might be a concern. But that would still be the same as someone throwing a rock! :laughing7: OHHHH whooo Carressss! My brain hurts! Just make sure you know where your shooting or throwing a rock! Cuz both can kill and you, will even be responsible for a fishing weight if thrown and it kills someone!! Or an apple!:laughing7: My vision is a wild man chucking rocks at a drone in a neighbor hood with people out, verses shooting a shotgun up in the air at it. i'd rather have little bb's falling on me and house than rocks. That's all I'm getting at. And it's the same responsibility.

We might be talking two different ideas. :laughing7: Just passing time! And I forgot what my original point was, even! If there was one! :laughing7:

Last edited:

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can hit a drone with a shotgun then it is definitely flying too low.

Sounds like a nifty tool to scout and then burglarize a house. And how in the world does the TNET resident drone defender know what kind of camera was being used? And what it's capabilities were? Just jumping to all kinds of conclusions.

Good for the homeowner, I hope he gets a good lawyer. Maybe he should set up a fundraising page, seems like enough of us don't want these flying over our heads. Have you seen what Amazon wants to do?

Amazon details its plan for how drones can fly safely over U.S. skies - The Washington Post

Gonna be just like the Jetsons cartoon soon

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see where the .410 would work well, and not be deadly returning to the earth.

I also see an opportunity here.

Someone needs to come up with a reloadable net type gun to capture the drone in flight, and reel that sucker in.

You could salvage the motors, sell the camera, and win whatever prize Amazon starts hauling.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see where the .410 would work well, and not be deadly returning to the earth.

I also see an opportunity here.

Someone needs to come up with a reloadable net type gun to capture the drone in flight, and reel that sucker in.

You could salvage the motors, sell the camera, and win whatever prize Amazon starts hauling.

That might lead to more trouble.
Like one guy who built home made cannon using engine pistons for projectiles to launch a net for pigeons. Air cannon I think.
Don't think he got in trouble but his account involved a piston losing it's tie hold on the net....:o
Snagging goodies from Amazon. Hmmm.
Here drone, here drone..

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad you couldn't put poles up that would make it lose it's signal. So, it flies in your yard and drops to the ground. I don't know enough about them or how they work. They have cell phone jammers. There has to be a way to drop them with electronics. Or make the operator lose control of it.How would anyone prove you dropped it? If you could do it that way!

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as my previous post was deleted,I will try again more tactfully:

1)Someone is lying... And at this moment it doesn't look like it's the drone pilot

to this I say...you or I dont know...we werent there,however having the expierience I do I would say that the claims of height and distance claimed by pilots defy logic...expect that to come out

2)
Stop being the good little puppets the government and Fox News has trained you to be, start using that brain you were given and spark a thought occasionally.

to this I say...what?that is offensive and I would like an apology.not cool or allowed.I am a bit confused why this is ok around here...while my post is deleted...oh well..I will comply

3)
As for the fire fighting incident, there are reports the drone was not even near the flight path of the aircraft... It is possible the operator not only didn't interfere but IF he did interfere, didn't realize it until it was too late.

as to this erronious statement I defer to the 75k reward offered for info about this fool.also I was personally put at risk by a drone pilot...here is my story...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/467392-friggin-drone.html..there have been 4 seperate incident of aircraft grounded this summer...all in so.cal.

4)You guys are missing the whole point of this. The guy shot an aircraft out of the air and lied about why. And then threatened to kill the owner of the drone. I really hate some of my fellow citizens. Thinking everyone is out to get them. I still find it hard to believe how paranoid people in this country are.

I find this offensive also.You have no idea who is lying.Nor do I.the homeowner is not charged with anything related to him exercising his constitutional right to bear exposed arms on his own property and refuse entry by multiple aggrevated men from tresspassing.I applaud him.I find no posts on this thread save yours decrying paranoia.Personally I hate no one for their feelings,but you are free to hate folks you have never met or spoken to.

I have stated that I will shoot down a drone under 400 ft.over my property and I will.I am aware of every statute involved here and its on.

peace and respect.all have every right to express their opinion without being attacked or belittled.but alternative views expressed properly are exactly what a forum is for.

cheers

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one of these....it would make a good drone "Disrupter" It's tough..I have crashed it repeatedly:laughing7:

ParkZone: F-27B Stryker RTF Electric (PKZ1200)

boy does that look like fun.I am an rc pilot myself but nothing that hot.mostly sailplanes and an old school senorita prop job.no cameras and only flown where I would not impose my hobby on anyones privacy or expectation of quiet.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's clear you guys don't know anything about the story.

The drone was over 272 feet in the air, and at least 350 to 455 feet from his home at the time of the shooting.

Considering the size of some I've seen here, not a bad shot.

Stop being so paranoid. Nobody flying a drone has an interest in your property or your children. ISIS is not flying a drone strapped with explosives to blow up your home, because lets face it, you aren't that important. Airplanes and helicopters fly over your properties regularly, but you don't shoot them down, why?? They are almost always loaded with different cameras... Maybe they're out to get YOU!!! Ultra-lights and powered parachutes are also loaded down with cameras AND regularly share the same airspace with drones, are you going to shoot them down because they flew over your property? Maybe they're out to get YOU!!!!!!

Stop being the good little puppets the government and Fox News has trained you to be, start using that brain you were given and spark a thought occasionally.

As Jeff Foxworthy might say ...

"If you think it's fine for others to peek through your windows and into your Windows(tm), you may already be brainwashed."

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Too bad you couldn't put poles up that would make it lose it's signal. So, it flies in your yard and drops to the ground. I don't know enough about them or how they work. They have cell phone jammers. There has to be a way to drop them with electronics. Or make the operator lose control of it.How would anyone prove you dropped it? If you could do it that way!

Built something similar before. Got tired of the BOOM BOOM BOOM at 2 in the morning.

Simple circuit, formerly used for 1950's style hospital call button. Jacked the power to 9 volts from 1.5, placed 16 penny nail inside the antenna I turned ... generated a sawtooth wave that made their bones rattle.

Usually the volume went way down as they assumed something was wrong with their stereo.

Got that schematic laying around somewhere, may try it on the next drone I see.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Built something similar before. Got tired of the BOOM BOOM BOOM at 2 in the morning.

Simple circuit, formerly used for 1950's style hospital call button. Jacked the power to 9 volts from 1.5, placed 16 penny nail inside the antenna I turned ... generated a sawtooth wave that made their bones rattle.

Usually the volume went way down as they assumed something was wrong with their stereo.

Got that schematic laying around somewhere, may try it on the next drone I see.

I have an old signal generator.I never messed with it much. But I'm not sure what the drones work on.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
x2 bigfoot!!:thumbsup:
you could not be more incorrect.I have livestock,I have acerage.Did the shooter?If I determine that your drone is causing stress to so much as my chickens and is over my property at less than 400 ft.I am completely within my rights to defend my property.The distances you quote as fact are more than ridiculous,that will come out.If some angry folks are approaching my property I have EVERY right to refuse entry.An openly displayed firearm on ones own property is a constitutionally granted right.

Did you research the local codes?I know mine.I recomend not being brainwashed by msnbc,al sharpton or any liberal or conservative opinion based broadcast.I find parts of your post insulting and uninformed.no one has"trained"me.how about you?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep politics out of forum, if you see political comments report it, don't reply back in counter statement. I not editing, if you post political statement post is deleted 99% of the time, not just political statement..

Contrary to some beliefs mods don't read ever post in every thread, if post is violating rules and still up it means mod hadn't read it yet..

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an inexpensive drone with no GPS homing and limited video/still camera capability. I can't view video in real time. Once it lands I can look at the footage.
I flew it over (200+ feet over) my neighborhood. Nothing nefarious or sinister intended. It's just cool to get aerial shots. As I said, it is an inexpensive drone. I took it too high on a couple of days where the surface wind was low but the wind a couple of hundred feet up was stronger. I lost control and had to scout the neighborhood in the direction it was lost. I found it both times but it was pure luck.

Anyway, I live in suburban Perry Hall, MD so no one will be shooting down my drone, but if I lived in a more rural area I couldn't blame someone if they did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread