Drone shot down

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonder if the four guys would object to people walking up to their windows and around their yards and homes taking pictures?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd do the same thing.... I agree with ya Charlie. It would be nothing but target practice here also.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Seen a drone on utube.
shooting a pistol hooked up to it. There armed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know enough about these flying devices other than there's a positive side and a negative side like this story. The negative is the fact that the four were surly lurking into yards and seeing a young girl sunbathing would be a point of interest, and that alone a pat on the back goes to the ol' man for taking it out. One often hears the statement from guys that have new born girls and what they'll do when they're teenagers and the boys come a knocking, the replies are usually "shotgun". :laughing7:
Do these devices have memory chips in them or in the controllers? If they do then that's what the cops should be reviewing before any charges are laid, as this going cost the family large if it goes to court and that id the sad part.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after 4 seperate incidents on drones grounding fire fighting aircraft in so.cal.this summer I figure its open season on em.I'm happy to hear about one getting shot down.fly over my home and you wont even get to have the remains.

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after 4 seperate incidents on drones grounding fire fighting aircraft in so.cal.this summer I figure its open season on em.I'm happy to hear about one getting shot down.fly over my home and you wont even get to have the remains.

As for the fire fighting incident, there are reports the drone was not even near the flight path of the aircraft... It is possible the operator not only didn't interfere but IF he did interfere, didn't realize it until it was too late.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The drone was over 272 feet in the air, and at least 350 to 455 feet from his home at the time of the shooting. The camera which the drone comes standard with is not able to zoom, it is capable of pan and tilt only. As a drone pilot there is no law against flying over property or near property, and in some cases over homes, as long as the area isn't highly populated, such as during a parade or carnival. Drones must stay under 400 feet agl, unless in an area which has been cleared of any air traffic.

There is also no law against shooting down a drone that is flying over your property. And I'm not going to mess with someone that can hit a drone at 455 feet with a .40 cal handgun! James Bond couldn't shoot that well.

The shooter got in trouble because he lived within the city limits of a municipality that did have an ordnance against discharging a weapon.

I have two drones - one with camera - and a dozen fixed wing R/C aircraft of various size up to 85" wingspan. I am a member of the AMA (voluntary nat'l organization) and one of the rules is that a pilot does not overfly people, vessels, vehicles or structures.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

So, I assume if you are overhead you have lost control and are a hazard to life and livestock, and I am assisting in recovery efforts.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's clear you guys don't know anything about the story.

The drone was over 272 feet in the air, and at least 350 to 455 feet from his home at the time of the shooting. The camera which the drone comes standard with is not able to zoom, it is capable of pan and tilt only. As a drone pilot there is no law against flying over property or near property, and in some cases over homes, as long as the area isn't highly populated, such as during a parade or carnival. Drones must stay under 400 feet agl, unless in an area which has been cleared of any air traffic. The men flying the drone have done nothing wrong, and the on-board video, GPS telemetry and location of the drone clearly show. The shooter however, is in big trouble.

The four men only came to the man house because his house was the closest from the point the drone went down, they asked the man if he shot the drone, (which by the way is a felony), he said he did, at which point they approached the man to discuss further, the trigger happy paranoid psychotic man then stated he had a .40 caliber pistol on his hip, and if they crossed the side walk he would shoot them. This man used the excuse that the drone was spying on his daughters, (highly unlikely as the video evidence will show) and flying right over his house (which again is not illegal). The man states that he shot the drone after it entered his property over his house, yet the GPS telemetry data shows he is lying. As stated previously, the data shows that the nearest house is between 300 and 455 feet away from the flight endpoint, and IF he shot at the drone with the weapon and ammunition he claims, (shotgun loaded with #8 birdshot) Even IF he ran to the edge of his property (which he would have had to to shoot it) it would have been a near impossible shot with that particular load. #8 birdshot is not known for it's effectiveness over 50 yards, if even that far, and this drone at the very least was almost 100yards in the air, this isn't accounting for the distance in feet the target was away from the mans position laterally or longitudinally.

Someone is lying... And at this moment it doesn't look like it's the drone pilot.

William Meredith is a prime example of how watching too much biased TV will warp your brain. He actually thinks that rapists and thieves will use a noisy, slow and expensive drone to target him. He also believes according to one story which quoted him, that the drone pilots may have been ISIS........ Which pretty much shows how screwed up in the head he is. Yes William... ISIS is coming to get YOU, a man in East Nobody Gives a ****, Kentucky..

Anybody considering shooting down a drone had better consider the consequences prior to doing it. It is a federal crime. You will go to prison, or at the very least county jail. You will loose access to every firearm you own. You will have a record. AND you will have to buy a new drone for the person whos property you vandalized.

The drone operator will suffer some time without a drone to fly. Until you buy him a new one.

Stop being so paranoid. Nobody flying a drone has an interest in your property or your children. ISIS is not flying a drone strapped with explosives to blow up your home, because lets face it, you aren't that important. Airplanes and helicopters fly over your properties regularly, but you don't shoot them down, why?? They are almost always loaded with different cameras... Maybe they're out to get YOU!!! Ultra-lights and powered parachutes are also loaded down with cameras AND regularly share the same airspace with drones, are you going to shoot them down because they flew over your property? Maybe they're out to get YOU!!!!!!

Stop being the good little puppets the government and Fox News has trained you to be, start using that brain you were given and spark a thought occasionally.

Sounds pretty fishy to me. A shotgun isn't very effective or accurate at the range you say the drone was. It would be a miracle to damage anything with a shotgun at 400feet!! Most shotgun pellets spread out too far after even 50 yards, and they have little velocity left after that distance. Even with a turkey gun with a tight choke I doubt one could score a "kill" on a drone at 400 feet. So perhaps the drone operator is the one not being truthful here, or his machine would not have been shot down. Especially with #8 shot it would have to have been closer than 100' to knock it down.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With all the fires we have going on in our state right now I think it should be open season on the drones!!

If you want to fly one, be responsible about where and when you do it!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone in Colorado has offered a $100 bounty and it has made it as far as the local town council for approval.

The proposal allows town officials to spend as much as $10,000 in municipal funds to “establish an unmanned aerial vehicle recognition program.” Shooters must be on private property and are limited to three shots per so-called engagement, “unless there exists an imminent threat to life and safety.”

Colorado Town Considers Letting Residents Shoot at Drones - Bloomberg Business

Its out on the Interweb 50 times that it has been proposed but the damned news services never follow up on these stories!

Nope - did not pass.

http://wonkette.com/545469/colorado...e-hunting-licenses-freedom-may-survive-anyway

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make awesome bottle rocket targets!! :laughing7:

I have mixed thoughts on this drone stuff. If the drone operator was over the guys yard or if he was using it to antagonize the man, then he gets what he deserves. If the guy ran out in his yard shooting at it as target practice then he should have to pay for it. It's hard to believe he made that far of a shot with either a shotgun or a pistol. Anythings possible and there are some good shooters out there. That part of the thread doesn't make sense to me. As far as him telling the operator not to cross his sidewalk? I do not see a problem there. Some people really value their privacy and space, not sure why that is so hard for some to understand. Must be part of that brainwashing, i read about a few posts up. He might have the idea a little twisted.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Fortunately I can shoot in my yard and airspace. Would be unfortunate to do so at the same time as a drone.
Reads as if they are much more fragile than water fowl, but even with a twelve gauge I'd need one close to hit it solid. 20 yards or under preferred.
Guess I'm a N.I.M.B.Y.. unless people ask to impose and are granted permission.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's clear you guys don't know anything about the story.

The drone was over 272 feet in the air, and at least 350 to 455 feet from his home at the time of the shooting. The camera which the drone comes standard with is not able to zoom, it is capable of pan and tilt only. As a drone pilot there is no law against flying over property or near property, and in some cases over homes, as long as the area isn't highly populated, such as during a parade or carnival. Drones must stay under 400 feet agl, unless in an area which has been cleared of any air traffic. The men flying the drone have done nothing wrong, and the on-board video, GPS telemetry and location of the drone clearly show. The shooter however, is in big trouble.

The four men only came to the man house because his house was the closest from the point the drone went down, they asked the man if he shot the drone, (which by the way is a felony), he said he did, at which point they approached the man to discuss further, the trigger happy paranoid psychotic man then stated he had a .40 caliber pistol on his hip, and if they crossed the side walk he would shoot them. This man used the excuse that the drone was spying on his daughters, (highly unlikely as the video evidence will show) and flying right over his house (which again is not illegal). The man states that he shot the drone after it entered his property over his house, yet the GPS telemetry data shows he is lying. As stated previously, the data shows that the nearest house is between 300 and 455 feet away from the flight endpoint, and IF he shot at the drone with the weapon and ammunition he claims, (shotgun loaded with #8 birdshot) Even IF he ran to the edge of his property (which he would have had to to shoot it) it would have been a near impossible shot with that particular load. #8 birdshot is not known for it's effectiveness over 50 yards, if even that far, and this drone at the very least was almost 100yards in the air, this isn't accounting for the distance in feet the target was away from the mans position laterally or longitudinally.

Someone is lying... And at this moment it doesn't look like it's the drone pilot.

William Meredith is a prime example of how watching too much biased TV will warp your brain. He actually thinks that rapists and thieves will use a noisy, slow and expensive drone to target him. He also believes according to one story which quoted him, that the drone pilots may have been ISIS........ Which pretty much shows how screwed up in the head he is. Yes William... ISIS is coming to get YOU, a man in East Nobody Gives a ****, Kentucky..

Anybody considering shooting down a drone had better consider the consequences prior to doing it. It is a federal crime. You will go to prison, or at the very least county jail. You will loose access to every firearm you own. You will have a record. AND you will have to buy a new drone for the person whos property you vandalized.

The drone operator will suffer some time without a drone to fly. Until you buy him a new one.

Stop being so paranoid. Nobody flying a drone has an interest in your property or your children. ISIS is not flying a drone strapped with explosives to blow up your home, because lets face it, you aren't that important. Airplanes and helicopters fly over your properties regularly, but you don't shoot them down, why?? They are almost always loaded with different cameras... Maybe they're out to get YOU!!! Ultra-lights and powered parachutes are also loaded down with cameras AND regularly share the same airspace with drones, are you going to shoot them down because they flew over your property? Maybe they're out to get YOU!!!!!!

Stop being the good little puppets the government and Fox News has trained you to be, start using that brain you were given and spark a thought occasionally.

you could not be more incorrect.I have livestock,I have acerage.Did the shooter?If I determine that your drone is causing stress to so much as my chickens and is over my property at less than 400 ft.I am completely within my rights to defend my property.The distances you quote as fact are more than ridiculous,that will come out.If some angry folks are approaching my property I have EVERY right to refuse entry.An openly displayed firearm on ones own property is a constitutionally granted right.

Did you research the local codes?I know mine.I recomend not being brainwashed by msnbc,al sharpton or any liberal or conservative opinion based broadcast.I find parts of your post insulting and uninformed.no one has"trained"me.how about you?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for the fire fighting incident, there are reports the drone was not even near the flight path of the aircraft... It is possible the operator not only didn't interfere but IF he did interfere, didn't realize it until it was too late.

again...uninformed.it is clear YOU know nothing of the storys.it was incidents,seperate acts on seperate dates.In my case the drone operator entered a closed forest during a fire intentionally,was a clear and present danger,caused the grounding of 18 aircraft and nearly cost me my home.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/467392-friggin-drone.html

yup...thats me.Would you promote prosecuting me if I had a shot at that drone or would it be what you would do?give him hugs and a finger wag?declare him mentally handicapped and give him lifetime disability checks?

btw..the search and investigation is continueing to find the operator of that drone.It has been announced that he will be charged with interfering in a federal fire fighting operation.If he is local he will have to leave town at very least.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto on the livestock. I have sheep, turkey, chickens and guinea. Nothing flies over in daylight that the guinea fowl don't raise the alarm.

If a drone is menacing my livestock I'll be less worried about what I can legally do and more focused on what I am able to do.

I can reach out and touch trees for five miles behind my house and pasture with no dwellings or structures to worry about, and local ordinances only state no firearm discharges within 500 ft of a structure the shooter doesn't own. Clear on my firing line. I may not be able to hit a drone with a scoped .223 but if it's over my property under 200 ft . . . try me. I've hit coyotes running flat out.

And we're not talking Predators and Reapers - the military drones would be high and unseen, anyway. We're talking dweebs with $2,000 toy camera & FPV drones.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a great future in my new drone jammer machines and drone nets on helium balloons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread