Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Boy oh boy..... what a question to ask . I probably won't make a popular post here but please read it through before damning me.

My wife and I "rescue" dogs. And since 94' we've helped well over 30-40 dogs. We live in a rural wooded area of Hickman Co. TN. And we spend a LOT of money helping these animals. We now have 5 and this is about as low as I can remember. We've put down 2 dogs this year because of bad hips. They were so bad they wined, limped and were "asking" for help. We could have paid for hip replacements and other procedures but could not afford it. In fact MY black lab companion's hip is giving out now and won't last much longer (Mamma Dog).

We've spent $1000.00's of dollars on all these dogs through vet bills, FOOD, and meds. And we did then and now love them all VERY MUCH. They all give back much more then the money we've spent. They are so loyal and faithful.

But at some point a decision has to be made how much you can afford to spend and still properly care for the rest the remaining animals and your family's needs. That decision REALLY sucks at times. We just put down a beloved boxer dog call "Bubba" this month. Damn we all loved this animal and he was SO FAITHFUL and loving. But we can't afford $1000's of dollars to extend one animals life. We need some leeway to help others here and others coming.

I just sold a home 300 yds. north of my home (pending). Some kittens were born to a wild (feral) cat in 02". One female is left we call "Bootsie" and she's now 13 years old and looks like it. This cat has lived on the deck of this sold home all her life in her "cat box". I told the potential new owners that the cat comes with their new home. Thank God, they said not a problem.... we love cats! Now I'll pay for the food but if they had said no way... "the cat has to go"... I will tell EVERYONE I would have turned down the sale because of this cat.

But back to the original question.... What's a cat's life worth? .... I really don't know. I guess I'm a hypocrite. I'd turn down a house sale but can't/won't afford a hip replacement for beloved dogs.

Ok.... I didn't answer anything but I am an animal lover and take of the animals that I have. But a line has to be drawn when your caring for multiples and your family... How deep are your pockets?

We had an old dog several years ago with bad hips and she couldn't walk. Our vet suggested changing her food to Science Diet Maintenance food. It took three days, but she started walking on all fours again and running like a pup. Ended up loosing her to cancer 5 years later, at 23 years old.
Wish you the best of luck with the rescues.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Putting down a pet can be very hard on a person. I got a pug/chi mix from a rescue shelter in 2002. He was 2 months old. I took him to the vet to get his teeth cleaned; and some pulled. They ran a blood test to make sure he wouldn't have a bad reaction to the anesthesia. It also showed he had kidney failure problems. He was about 6 at the time. When he was just over 8, he began going downhill. He lost about a third of his weight and was constantly drinking, then vomiting it out again. When he had gone through about two weeks of misery, the vet said there wasn't any hope. So he euthanized him. I wrapped him in a blanket that he slept on when sleeping on my bed, then buried him in the back yard.
I still miss him tremendously. I still have a little chi/terrier mix that I got from the same shelter about a year after I got the pug/chi mix. She's now over 13 years old and still in decent shape. She sleeps with me each night. She's always near and we have a lot of fun playing together still. She's not as playful or as active as she was a year ago, but still quite active.
We also have a cat. I spent about $200 having some of her teeth pulled about 3 months ago. I don't mind the money so much. It's a lot cheaper than the heartache of losing something you love.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that has disturbed me the most, is that I feel I failed him.
Not much I could have done.
After realizing the final negative prognosis, I still selfishly wanted to keep cat alive cause I couldn't face euthanizing him. Even knowing he was in pain. But, although I cried like a schoolgirl, it was the right thing to do.
Thanks again.
Peace ✌

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Try not to think that you failed him, because you didn't. Every time we lost a friend, I would sit back and read The Rainbow Bridge. It may help a little. You will see him again.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NWMP, by posting ".22", I will presume you mean a bullet.
That would surely have been the most cost effective means of killing my friend, but not an option.
Thanks for your comment and compassion.
You are certainly a caring person.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread