Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read some concerning things about Windows 10, and I'll stay at Windows 7.

I've read that it is not free in the future. One fellow said that it would be disabled later and you'd have to pay for the "bug fixes".

Another said that data gathering from your hard drive, usage, and Internet habits, and anything connected to your computer would be all in their hands.

Of course that could all be bunk. I'll keep my personal info (probably all over the world anyway) as private as I can. I think there's a lot yet to unfold about this "generosity" of Microsoft. Just as trustworthy as Google?

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I know you are not doing so G.I.B., but as a designer I hear it all the time from MAC folks who look down their noses at Windows users. I

I have to laugh when those same people who think they are better than Windows users are using the same programs I am, PROGRAMS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO RUN UNDER WINDOWS ... because they think their OS is better than that of others.

What has always amused me is that you hear folks looking to use Windows programs on Macs, but not the other way round. It is possible, and lots of "tutorials" and some software ... but no one is beating a path in that direction.

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. I'm only saying that in the first 3 years I've had my Mac, no crashes. None. No loss of data. None.

I don't know why, just that it is.

I had to put windows 7 Pro on my Mac to run work programs. A lot of Government programs only work with Windows on the IE format. Not my choice, kinda have to use Windows for them. And why would I want to run Safari on Windows? It never crashes, not for me anyhow.

Crash, crash, crash, loss of data, sorry- we have crashed again....

My Mac... quietly humming along.

I don't know why, just that it is what it is.

So, I'm wondering if I should upgrade the Windows side of my computer, or just leave it as is.

I'm a ham radio operator as well. I was listening to one guy telling another guy about a site where you need to go through a long list of fixes for the 10... I don't know how to do that- so, I don't know if it's something I'm willing to experiment with.

Nothing is free... so- kinda curious about the free windows OS upgrade.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds like my PC ... and my laptops. No crashes, no glitches, no problems.

It also helps that I'm not trying to "speed up" my PC or letting the Pakistani or Indian fellas "fix" my computer.

I never open an email from an address that I do not know.

I never open an email from a friend that has a subject that seems odd or not like them.

I don't try to steal music or software. I stay away from the "Pirate Bay" type sites.

I also run "Sandboxie" when visiting sites I'm not sure about.

No "Ask" or other toolbars on my browser.

Just little old paranoid me!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier I mentioned the Windows 10 logo in my 'sys tray'. I meant to say task bar. Anyway, I finally got rid of the logo. As long as I control what updates are downloaded, it'll stay gone.
As for computer crashes, I have a Toshiba laptop that I bought back in August of 2010. It has Windows 7 Home Premium on it, from the factory. I've never had a problem with it. No crashes so far. Only problem is the single 2.0 Gb processor; sure is slow compared to the other computers here in the house. The laptop is the only single core processor we're running. The rest are 2, 4, 6, and 8 cores.
I had to upgrade my processor cooling a few days ago. It was running at 70 degrees Celsius. That's hot! Now it's running in the 40 to 50 degree range. Glad it was caught before I ruined the processor.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I had to upgrade my processor cooling a few days ago. It was running at 70 degrees Celsius. That's hot! Now it's running in the 40 to 50 degree range. Glad it was caught before I ruined the processor.

I have a Toshiba laptop on the floor by my desk at work. Purchased in 2009 with win 7 home prem 32 bit. Still works, but I think the HDD is about to give up. Besides, boss man let me upgrade to a new Toshiba laptop (my pick off our floor samples) so got me an Athlon A8 processor Win8 (already upgraded to Windows 10). Gonna get a new HDD for the old one and try to buy it cheap for my daughter's writing hobby. Her current laptop is a 1997 Gateway (same age as her0. Might be time for a new one. Case is starting to crumble ...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
2 words.. Linux Mint. Really is free, looks nearly the same as Winduhs, little need for antivirus software, upgrades are free, etc. What's not to like.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
2 words.. Linux Mint. Really is free, looks nearly the same as Winduhs, little need for antivirus software, upgrades are free, etc. What's not to like.

... or try 1 word: Ubuntu.

Loaded it on one of my personal computers here at work. It has actually been fun messing with a few of my "tech savy" (or so they think) customers telling them it was the "New" version of windows and letting them play with it for a while.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
... or try 1 word: Ubuntu.

Loaded it on one of my personal computers here at work. It has actually been fun messing with a few of my "tech savy" (or so they think) customers telling them it was the "New" version of windows and letting them play with it for a while.
Yep.. same same. Hope you're doing well my old friend

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yep.. same same. Hope you're doing well my old friend

Thank you for the well wishes. Not only am I doing well, right now I'm doing great. Lost about 50 pounds ... and feel 20 years younger.

Haven't been walking or riding (bicycling, but no biking shorts like John Kerry - still trying to get that image out of my head!!!) regularly in about 1 1/2 months with the heat here in south Arkansas, but that looks like it may change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread