Did You Know ... It Is Now ILLEGAL To Collect Rainwater On YOUR OWN Property?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
%C4%B11.png

A rural Oregon man was sentenced Wednesday to 30 days in jail and over $1,500 in fines because he had three reservoirs on his property to collect and use rainwater.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I get to work Monday, I'll see if Pacer (U.S. Court system web site which I use as part of my job on a daily basis) has any record of this.

As far as snooops, they have been caught in lies before so they have ZERO reliability in my opinion.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - I hear ya, it's tougher and tougher to get the truth now-a-days!!!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Agreed that Snopes is unreliable and biassed. Buttt.. The article is confusing and the picture of someone collecting rain water from the gutters on the roof of their home is misleading if it's true that the guy built dams to divert flowing water from streams into his huge reservoirs. I'm on the fence waiting for more accurate info.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah - I hear ya, it's tougher and tougher to get the truth now-a-days!!!

Even Snooops article gives a bit of credibility to article:

Although in a strictly literal sense Oregon resident Gary Harrington was indeed sentenced to prison for collecting rainwater, that sentence followed several years of legal dispute over what the state continually described his willful and flagrant operation of a number of illegal reservoirs. Moreover, Harrington's dispute with water authorities in Oregon was not first disclosed in 2015 (nor even in 2012), as police had been publicly involved in investigating his water collection issues as early as 2002. Finally, the laws in question are not new laws aimed at criminalizing water collection in Oregon or elsewhere; rather, the law that Harrington was found to be in violation of was passed in 1925, and the cited case involving Harrington's large (illegal) reservoirs was decided in 2007.

How can a city own rainwater? It can't, but apparently it can deny citizens the right to collect and store it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a few states, like Co. for instance, that DO have antiquated laws regarding harvested rain water, however, most states its ok.... Not only is the practice of utilizing rain barrels encouraged in communities, some districts will give you tax breaks for having them.

Visit Rain Barrel Beauty ,Ft Myers Fl., recycled barrels....
that is my website, as I make and sell rain barrels on the side..I don't do it as often as I used to though, as my source dried up, and my trailer got crushed under a tree...(long story)

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a law here in Pennsylvania from the 1920's that states it is illegal to collect rain water. That rain water belongs to everyone, and you cannot collect it for your own use. I have read of 2 cases in the last several years where individuals have been cited for collecting rain water.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in prison for 10 years - just got out and on probation for 10 more years - I was caught collecting oxygen. :dontknow:

It's getting crazy out there............Common Sense seems to have eluded the masses...............What's a Po'boy to do?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin has a small cabin on a mining claim in Colorado, and he is forbidden to collect the rain water from the roof.

He's way back in, I told him nobody would find out, he said his neighbor got fined.

Makes no sense, even though after collected, it would eventually be returned to the ground....

Joking about being arrested for hoarding oxygen is not far from the truth. Some of our larger cities require the purchase of carbon credits for exhaust fumes. I forget the details, but it's nothing more than a racket.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched one of those home shows and the place had a very elaborate system for collection. Even the driveway had a way for water to be collected. I thought it was in CA. It was an expensive system. Too bad if he can't use it. Strange that if a meteorite falls in your yard it's yours but not the rain.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Come to Texas and collect all the rainwater you want. Oh, wait. It never rains much anymore. Never mind...

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More bogus journalism. The guy collecting his roof runoff is not breaking the law and he is not in trouble for it.

The guy is in trouble for building catchment dams to collect flowing surface water in gullies on his property, thereby infringing on the water rights of downstream beneficiaries. Doing so without a permit is unlawful - another example of GOOD government, protecting the interests of citizens from the unlawful actions of their neighbor.

water law is extremely complex and goes back to roots in English Common Law.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not "NOW" illegal. The man was originally caught doing this back in 2002 and convicted. It has been illegal. He has done this several times since then, including this current conviction. Also, the referenced by the OP's post article was first published back in 2012.

Here is the local news story on this case: Eagle Point man jailed for illegal water reservoirs | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

Also, he was not arrested for simply collecting rainwater. He was arrested for damming channels on his property and collecting the runoff in 3 reservoirs. This can be done legally but one must obtain a permit, which the man did not have.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in areas in the past where folks farmed or grazed livestock.... water rights was a big deal.... often big time farmers / cattle grazers up stream from small timers would dam up the streams running thru their land cutting of the water vital to the small time farmers / cattle grazers downstream of them... forcing the small timers to sell to them or go under completely ... that is often where the "no collecting rainwater laws" come from -- basically the laws were wrote in such a way that so you could not impeade the natural flow of rain water off your land --it was wrote that way to stop water hordeing by rich large land owning farmers "damming" up a river --it means that rain water which makes up the rivers --belongs to everyone (the public) and is not a "private resource" you could horde at will .. so even if you owned the land on both sides of a river --you have no right to dam it up and withhold the rain water from folks "downstream" of you.

many a old time western movie centered around this theme ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
More bogus journalism. The guy collecting his roof runoff is not breaking the law and he is not in trouble for it.

The guy is in trouble for building catchment dams to collect flowing surface water in gullies on his property, thereby infringing on the water rights of downstream beneficiaries. Doing so without a permit is unlawful - another example of GOOD government, protecting the interests of citizens from the unlawful actions of their neighbor.

water law is extremely complex and goes back to roots in English Common Law.

So, you are disputing Snooops? They even admitted it was for the collection of rainwater, NOT RUNOFF. You are describing RUNOFF.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It is not "NOW" illegal. The man was originally caught doing this back in 2002 and convicted. It has been illegal. He has done this several times since then, including this current conviction. Also, the referenced by the OP's post article was first published back in 2012.

Here is the local news story on this case: Eagle Point man jailed for illegal water reservoirs | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

Also, he was not arrested for simply collecting rainwater. He was arrested for damming channels on his property and collecting the runoff in 3 reservoirs. This can be done legally but one must obtain a permit, which the man did not have.

A break with the almighty Snooops?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figures........ only in %^^$$%$ states would it be illegal to collect rain water on your own property....He didn't divert water from a creek, stream or river, but rain water running across his private property.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Figures........ only in %^^$$%$ states would it be illegal to collect rain water on your own property....He didn't divert water from a creek, stream or river, but rain water running across his private property.

Yes, correct ... but if folks accuse him often enough, and muddy the water enough, eventually no one realizes that the runoff of rainwater is NOT the same as stopping the free flow of a stream. Most of the folks trying to say otherwise may not actually understand the difference.

In the south, we used to have large cisterns for the sole purpose of collecting rain water for household usage.

The San Francisco Plantation (I used to walk and drive by this house EVERY DAY when I lived in Louisiana) has some large cisterns ... just look at the blue structure on the left. It is designed to hold rainwater captured from the roof of the housel

gallery-45.jpg

If one bothers to look closely, there is a bit of pipe that runs to the top of the cistern.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Christ's sake.... Now there are folks who don't want others to collect RAIN WATER????! You got to be kidding me...? IF I LIVED IN A TOWNSHIP.... which said I couldn't and I wanted too... then I'd just run my gutters inboard into the building and the overflow outboard.... easy to do. But to even have this conversation over rain water is absolutely STUPID!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread