RANDOM PICTURE THREAD - Post ANY of your favorite pictures here to share with Tnet...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This isn't "my" truck, but I've been throwing water for 16 years.. My truck is an 06, and I've put 218,490 miles in it... was told by my fleet manager that the expectation is 2031 before it gets replaced...nice.:BangHead:

imagesDYFCZODD.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are not my coins, but I have been looking for these for 40 years... been looking for 218,490 miles. :P

Gold7.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't "my" truck, but I've been throwing water for 16 years.. My truck is an 06, and I've put 218,490 miles in it... was told by my fleet manager that the expectation is 2031 before it gets replaced...nice.:BangHead:

View attachment 1237379

Dave you must be strong as an ox... those bottles gotta weigh 40+ lbs each.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave you must be strong as an ox... those bottles gotta weigh 40+ lbs each.

About 45 lbs each... I average 200 bottles a day, not including case water... The 1 gallon cases weigh 54 lbs....and the free bottles aren't calculated... I figured it out once, in 2002, I delivered over 4 million pounds of water... like I said, 16 years, so that means I have lifted approximately 50 million pounds, probably more.....impossible to calculate, as I don't have my yearly numbers... Funny thing is, my beer belly off-sets my Popeye arms.:dontknow:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow... do you get any perks ? like free bottles for yourself etc?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow... do you get any perks ? like free bottles for yourself etc?

You would have to ask my wife... she was a customer when we met, and the she seduced me...now she stays properly hydrated on the cheap.... I don't even drink water!:sign10:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post 5000...
Tnet you rock.Thanks for all the great threads and "chat"...
Such a cool bunch of people here and I am glad to have gotten the chance to get to know some of you.

Tnet is where I consider the term "living the dream" definitely applies.

Thank you all.

AARC.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't they make another product that most have used at one time or other.
It would be a shame for a first time user to get them mixed up.:)

s-l1600.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most have found one of these at one time or other.
s-l500.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to be kind of a long post. It involves some history of the Nez Perce War during 1877. Initially the Nez Perce had a very large reservation, located in the northeast area of Oregon, and a large portion of Idaho on the Clear Water River. That portion of their reservation in Oregon had some very jealous white folks that wanted to move in and homestead. The Nez Perce didn't want to sell. Eventually General Oliver O. Howard told the Nez Perce they would have to move by a certain date or he would evict them by force of arms. The old Chiefs had the people gather up their stuff, as many horses and cattle they could get together, and move rather than risk a war. They crossed the Snake River when it was at flood stage without loosing a single human being. Once on the other side of the river there were some settlers who had been mean to the Indians, and some of the angry young warriors took revenge on them. General Howard had a tough time getting across the river, and in the mean time some other soldiers and civilian volunteers attacked the Indian Camp. The Indians soundly defeated them, and move on to another camp, which was attacked by Howard, with the army opening the fight with artillery. Howard was defeated. The Indians crossed Lolo Pass into Montana where they thought they would be safe, because their fight was in Oregon. They encountered a fort that was erected to stop their advance into Montana, (Fort Fizzle,) and the Nez Perce simply rode around it, avoiding trouble. The Indians then traded with or purchased supplies from the settlers in the Bitterroot Valley, including guns and ammo. The Nez Perce had left General Howard in the dust, and didn't think they had to worry about anything, so they camped and relaxed on the north fork of the Big Hole river, the women cutting lodge poles, the horses being pastured in lush grass. Col. John Gibbon however, was in pursuit, and he was following the Nez Perce trail with about 160 Infantry a howitzer and 45 civilian volunteers. Gibbon attacked the camp early in the morning, totally surprising the Indians, who rallied and thoroughly whipped Gibbon, who lost 29 dead and 40 wounded, and he was completely unable to follow the retreating Indians. In the process of fighting Gibbon, the howitzer was taken and disabled, and something like 2000 rounds of 45-55 carbine ammunition were captured. The Nez Perce lost between 70 to 90, mostly women and children, however a dozen of their best warriors were killed, and these men couldn't be replaced. General Howard came up and continued the pursuit. The Indians crossed back over the Bitterroots into Idaho, and they had scouts watching their back-trail. The scouts watched Howard set up his camp, and decided to attack the camp and take all their horses.
In the early morning hours of 20 August 1877 they slipped into Howards camp, and were able to cut loose a dozen horses, and in the night what they thought were horses , but with daylight they found out they had 200 head of mules. This put Howard out of business, and he was unable to follow the Indians in any effective manner. At this point is when my pictures come into the story. Howard sent a battalion of Cavalry, three companies under command of Major Sanford. Two companies were 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Cavalry under command of Captains Jackson and Carr, who would win a Medal of Honor in this engagement. Company L, 2 Cavalry commended by Captain Randolf Norwood, was in the center. They caught up with the Indians who were having trouble driving the mules.
7.jpg
About the middle of the picture, stretching all the way across the photo is a low ridge. Company L galloped across the flat, up on to that ridge, where they were brought to a stop by a line of mounted Indians about 1000 yards to their front. Capt. Norwood dismounted his troops and engaged with ineffective pokes at the Indians, still at 1000 yards.
4.jpg
We are on top of the ridge, looking to the Indian position where the V is.
5.jpg
The number fours took Company L's horses to the rear, to the grove of Aspens where the V is indicating. The books you might read all say they are cottonwoods, but I've been there, those are Quaking Aspens.
6.jpg
8.jpg
However the Indians weren't static, and some slipped around and flanked Norwood, which was only discovered when an infantry officer who had come along for the excitement, received a very painful wound through both cheeks of his buttocks. The company then did a very disorganized retreat/route to the same location the horses were being held, which is the above pictures.
11.jpg
12.jpg
In this location they built fighting positions and held out until help arrived, several hours later. These rock positions were built on August 20, 1877. Several soldiers were wounded and killed, the Indians only lost a few horses. One trooper was shot through the bladder and he died a day or two later. Another was hit in the cartridge belt, driving lead, copper and gun powder into the wound, which never healed, and he committed suicide.
3.jpg
I've been to this location more than once, and on this occasion I took black and white photos. The model 1873 45-55 carbine is what the soldiers were armed with, and so were a lot of the Indians, who were using captured arms from the many engagements they'd had with the army.
2.jpg
1.jpg
The next picture is a close up, showing the type of bullet used by the Cavalry. This bullet was from my collection, and yes, I'm a nut, I fired it toward the Indian positions, and even thought it was over 100 years old, it went off without a without a hitch, and once again there was black powder smoke drifting across the battle field at Camas Meadows.
Finally, the Indians had beaten Howard, crossed through Yellowstone Park, avoided some cavalry searching for them, had a couple of more firefights where they won, and camped in the Bear Paw mountains, just a few miles short of the Canadian border and freedom. Again they thought they were home free, when General Nelson Miles caught up to them, and attacked once again. A few of the Nez Perce escaped into Canada, among them Yellow Wolf, but Chief Joseph surrendered his people to Miles. This is when he said, "My people are sick, I wish to hunt for my children, from where the sun now stands, I will fight no more, forever."
10.jpg
9.jpg
These Indians were not Christians, these graves are in Coleville, WA, and when I was there I put sweet grass on each of their graves. It was so dry I didn't dare lite it, although I sure wanted to, even though I am a Christian, I have great admeration for both of these men. If you are at all interested in reading about the Nez Perce, by all means get the book "Yellow Wolf, his own story," by McWorter.

For some reason one of the pictures didn't load in proper order and it might show up or it might not. It did when I checked the post. I'm going to try and load it again, and I also forgot the bullet closeup, so will ad that also. Also, click on the picture to get a larger view.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread