Has the world gone "cell phone crazy" ? Your thoughts on this obvious "addiction"...

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love having my wife text me I love you randomly throughout the day. Or when I'm detecting she texts to ask if I found anything good. For me it is the content of the message...not the avenue it is delivered.

A little sarcasm here...but reading comprehension is something I learned in grade school. I have enough brains to realize the content of a nice text message is the same as if it was hand written. Literally no difference from a comprehension standpoint. Poorly written or well written content has zero to do with the delivery...it either is...or is not. Putting a pencil/pen/computer keyboard in front of somebody does nothing to help their writing abilities.

I would rather get a text message saying happy birthday from 50 friends and family members...instead of each of them calling me and eating up my time. Sounds callous...but there it is.

As far as the social media aspect...TNET is absolutely a form a social media. Members here are in a "social" group....and we upload and share "media" in the form of our finds.

Here you guys are talking with perfect strangers and posting events about your day...yet many of you guys are against it on Facebook or Twitter....among people that actually DO know each other....friends and family etc etc. (I realize you are against it yourselves...not dictating how others live their lives)

I am confused....

Lets get real here...MUCH of the content here at TNET is NOT treasure related....yet you guys participate all the same. So saying you are here just for the treasure is BS.

Many of AARC's posts have absolutely nothing to do with treasure hunting...just general run of the mill random picture threads and now this cell phone thread. I'm 100% ok with that and love it....but it is pretty much what goes down on Facebook and Twitter and is the epitome of social media.

TNET....a social group...sharing their media....then complaining about social media.

Welcome to the dysfunctional family.....

Heh...
Not me...
5 friends giving me a call beats 500 texts any day.

If you have 50 REAL friends... I envy you... And you are the first I know.

And you are wrong... Poorly written of well written... dead wrong.
Or we all would be great authors.
IN FACT...

fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-quote-the-difference-between-the-right.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't live without it! I recently moved and now have no wifi. I do a lot of daily activities with iPhone and it saves tremendous time and energy with those tasks. I've burned thru data to the point my wife cut my data off. Please hurry AT&T Uverse I so much hate to have to go to Hughes Net.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mod TN using my phone and tablet, any time of the day I can moderate rather than only when I am home, I surf the web, use the radar, and stream music all as same time........ Im using the Samsung Note3 but will upgrade sometime this year to the Note 5... My current screen is 3"x 4 7/8"...

M... there are exceptions to every rule.
This I understand...
But for the "mases" ?

I know this...
I was sitting at a light ... beside a car with 2 middle aged couples...
All 4 with phones texting... through the whole light... nothing was even said.
Just looks weird to me.

Time and place.
I use mine to.
But have never posted here.
And nothing wrong with it.
Just people have gone a little overboard is all. IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't live without it! I recently moved and now have no wifi. I do a lot of daily activities with iPhone and it saves tremendous time and energy with those tasks. I've burned thru data to the point my wife cut my data off. Please hurry AT&T Uverse I so much hate to have to go to Hughes Net.

lol. :)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you AARC. I like this site, because we all have common interests. It gives me a connection to share idea's, opinions, learn from others,entertainment etc.. I don't watch much TV, so this is my entertainment in a way. I can jump in and out through out the day while doing other things. It's an escape or connection to people. I can vent any opinion, give any personal story. We all consider each other friends but I could turn this off and walk away and no one really knows who I am except for a hand full. Not that I'm anyone!:laughing7: Just meaning the privacy part of it, and still say or talk about anything!:laughing7:(and I do)

So, this is way different than FB or other types of social media. Where a job, friends,family,or the neighbor can see everything about you. I agree too, I use to be on FB in the beginning, and MY space, but it wasn't fun to me to see who was sick or what they had for dinner.:laughing7:

There is a difference to me ..some people need social media, for others it's the entertainment part. I do think it's ruining people as a whole. I won't write a book on my opinions or twisted thoughts here.:laughing7: I'll just agree with your first post!:laughing7: It says a lot! And there is a lot in it to think about!

Txt? what a waste! I've been in more arguments because someone took a shortened text of mine and twisted it into something different from lack of details. I can't stand texting! It has always caused me more problems and misunderstandings in and out of jobs. That could have been avoided with a 2 min. phone call. Same with Email and jobs. They wasted more time sending emails back and forth taking days to make a decision and understand each other, when A phone call would have cleared it up in minutes.

I like phone calls and person to person. The electronic stuff takes that connection away. It's not the same.

I often think people are more open and honest with thoughts and opinions in an anonymous setting like this? Maybe not..But I am curious about that.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

Just to elaborate a bit.....before retiring I used a computer for most of my career heck we even had our own internal email circa 1980 I'd go on vacation for a week and have something like 250 emails in my inbasket.

Most of it was just junk but still had to sift through it, file and answer quite a bit of it.....that's why I try to limit the amount of tech stuff that can take over if you let it.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming I don't "get it" and am missing the point insults my intelligence AARC....I'll let it slide since I like you...at certain times. :laughing7:

You talk about TNET having a "subject" that makes it different than Facebook. Well then it must be asked why you post so many off-subject posts...and why are they are so popular here? The Random Picture Thread....The Weather Thread.

It really seems to me the most popular posts are the ones likes yours that have nothing to do with the "subject" of TNET. So I'm going to have to disagree with you saying TNET and Facebook are not similar based on the "subject" argument.

Going over your posts (and others) this topic IS jumping from cell phones...to social media...and the negative aspects of both. I bring up positive points on why I like both and use both as tools to enrich my life...instead of allowing them to impact me negatively.

I "get it" and absolutely think there are zombies out there who are lost to their cell phones like any other addiction. But I absolutely do not think it effects everybody who owns one. I also certainly don't think people that do NOT use cell phones and social media are "aware" and "awake" to the world compared to anybody and everybody that owns one. That is silly.

If anything I feel those people either do not have the social network to need it...or are just plain to old and stuck in their ways....or are probably just to boring for social media anyways. (sarcasm)

As far as texting...I disagree and think in the proper hands a proper conversation can be had. I can "text" about as fast as I can type on a keyboard and get my point across with ease. It's not a pandemic...it's a form of communication. It is up to the user to decide when it is socially acceptable to do so. It is also up to the receiver to comprehend the message...

Like I said...a cell phone is a tool....social media is a tool. You either know how to use it properly or you shun it and call everybody that uses that newfangled tool crazy.

I was there for BBS and I was there when dial-up sent it packing. Although it never went away truly....it simply morphed into things like these TNET forums....Facebook...Twitter.

People wanting to share their lives with others will never go away. Cell phones (or whatever future comm device) will never go away. Old timers who hate certain new life changes will never go away.

People love to communicate and share their lives...things that make that easier...well...make that easier.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh...
Not me...
5 friends giving me a call beats 500 texts any day.

If you have 50 REAL friends... I envy you... And you are the first I know.

And you are wrong... Poorly written of well written... dead wrong.
Or we all would be great authors.
IN FACT...

View attachment 1260606

You totally did not comprehend what I said.

Poorly written or well written content has zero to do with the delivery...it either is...or is not. That is what I said. Meaning if it comes from a PC keyboard, a text, or a pen and paper, the content is what matters. Not how it is delivered.

Meaning I agree with the yellow sign.... :occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M... there are exceptions to every rule.
This I understand...
But for the "mases" ?

I know this...
I was sitting at a light ... beside a car with 2 middle aged couples...
All 4 with phones texting... through the whole light... nothing was even said.
Just looks weird to me.

Time and place.
I use mine to.
But have never posted here.
And nothing wrong with it.
Just people have gone a little overboard is all. IMO

Don't agree with texting while driving ever but other than that if people want to text it is their business and not my place to judge.... I grew up with 3 TV stations and 1 was snowy, just different time period to me. I am personally glad I grew up when I did but that time is mostly gone unless you one of the few who can live off the grid ...

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not saying its not a "needed" in our society...
And I am not saying people should not do it at all...
Just saying...
People have gone a little ... what we call round here .... "overboard".

If you are someone who feels and NEEDS to be on and involved constantly with a constant presence to feel...
And you cannot go without media for a day... and not care...
Or half a day...
or whatever time.
And you feel the need to constantly "monitor" others lives... watch others actions spend a massive amount of time from the life in front of you doing so...
And share back and forth every detail of the life in front of you with others and strangers... far away...
And consider it a REAL form of a "being" with real acceptance from others online who you have never even met...
And you would rather use fingers over your mouth to communicate with others...
Then maybe you need to take a step back and look at it from another view.

Hehhhh that reminds me... the fingers over the mouth to communicate... by choice no less. :/ ...

I mean sheesh... If you would rather use your fingers to communicate...
Learn sign language...
At least you can still see their face... and expressions... eyes...
If you are gonna "do away" with the voice...
At least keep the eyes for crying out loud.

They will at least add some "connection" between minds in a real sense of the word...

Try that in The Social Soap Opera. heh

:)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One persons "overboard" is another persons way of life. It is just like music, my parents hated the rock and roll I listened to growing up and I hate what they call rock and roll today..

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its actually frowned upon here in most "cool places"...
places... like many local hangouts...
People laugh about someone sitting there going at it on the phone the whole time.

Sitting at a bar with friends... the group from "wherever"... says little to each other...
BUT everything to someone elsewhere.

:/

Go figure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One persons "overboard" is another persons way of life. It is just like music, my parents hated the rock and roll I listened to growing up and I hate what they call rock and roll today..

Agreed.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Btw... forgot to add...

Here... people see someone on a phone constantly...
They either think one of 2 things...
You are addicted to social media...
OR...
you are a drug dealer.
Heh.

What if your a "social media addicted drug dealer"? Haha

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*** BURRP ***
Ahhh much better that I ate my dinner...
I ate fast so I could hurry back...
Did not want to miss anything. :)

At first I ate it slow...
But then I thought I might miss something... so then I ate fast...
I had potatoes...
Mashed...
With gravy...
Smoked sausage... was salty though... not as good a batch as before...
I had carrots...
Macaroni with cheese...
With parmesan sprinkled on top...

I have pictures of the gravy... wanna see...?
Or you can wait...
gonna post them on FB later,,, heh :P

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*** BURRP ***
Ahhh much better that I ate my dinner...
I ate fast so I could hurry back...
Did not want to miss anything. :)

At first I ate it slow...
But then I thought I might miss something... so then I ate fast...
I had potatoes...
Mashed...
With gravy...
Smoked sausage... was salty though... not as good a batch as before...
I had carrots...
Macaroni with cheese...
With parmesan sprinkled on top...

I have pictures of the gravy... wanna see...?
Or you can wait...
gonna post them on FB later,,, heh :P

Well, I didn't eat yet! I can't decide what I want. If I post some pics? Can you tell me what I should have?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find the link...There was a picture floating around of a girl taking a selfie in a bathroom mirror , well.....she didn't realize...The toilet behind her had the lid open with a huge log floating in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread