‘Aggressive Panhandler’ in Fresno Arrested with $1,800 on Him

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
'Aggressive Panhandler' in Fresno Arrested with $1,800 on Him

by William Bigelow 19 Jan 2016

Fresno police arrested an “aggressive panhandler” in West Fresno, and found he was quite successful at his job: he had $1,800 on his person.

Kevin Joy, 43, was arrested by police for staying on the center median of a street without a permit. Police stated he had confronted roughly a dozen vehicles within twenty minutes. Joy reportedly had a history of bouts with police; he had been cited or arrested 11 times in the 18 days prior to his latest arrest and more than 60 times in 2015, according to yourcentralvalley.com.

Fresno has been plagued by panhandlers for years; on July 15, 2008, the Fresno City Council discussed an ordinance revolving around panhandling. One councilmember said the ordinance would apply to any person on median islands and not just panhandlers, adding that those people were basically illegal vendors. A violation of the ordinance would have been deemed an infraction and a criminal code enforcement effort with additional fines. The proposed ordinance was rejected.

But by April 2010, an ordinance had been passed that outlawed being in the medians of Fresno city streets without a city permit.

In 2013, when reviewing the 2008 10 Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness, a Fresno Grand Jury stated, “The non-enforcement of ordinances regarding panhandling and shopping cart theft enable the homeless to remain independent and be a public nuisance.”

In November 2015, one Fresno panhandler told KMPH-KFRE he made $3,000 a month panhandling. Sergeant Robert Dewey, who supervises the Fresno Police Department’s Homeless Task Force, added, “We can’t arrest our way out of this problem. We can’t give tickets and expect this problem to go away. These folks are mostly all committing misdemeanors and those do not carry any jail time at this point. They are mostly warrants that turn into future misdemeanors and it’s this huge cycle of just ticket after ticket after ticket.”

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy approach me in Tulsa and said he needed money cause he was hungry. I said Great I have an extra sandwich for lunch I will share with you. I got cussed out and told he only needed the money......go figure

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people who actually need help, and there are scam artists - another situation with no clear answer. :dontknow:

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several years back, a man was arrested near here for aggressive panhandling and was found with $2400 in cash and a standing reservation at the Holiday Inn. He claimed to be able to collect $600 by noon and couldn't find a better job! True story.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must of been at least one silver in there. Haha

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a guy who worked at the same GM plant I did in Kalamazoo MI. (Fisher Body). This was in the late 70's. He panhandled in downtown Kazoo and he said he made as much money doing that as he did working for GM. No taxes either he stated.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally I don't shell out money to them. But one time in Detroit there was a "hopeless" looking woman on the side of the street - I gave her $10.00 and she smiled with no visible teeth.

S

stefen

Many times I see panhandlers with their cardboard saying they need help because they are hungery...yet they have a cigarette in their mouth...

Refuse to support that habit...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread