All Treasure Hunting

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Old Dog said:
This guy is one of two North American Mammals that will hunt a man if he feels you wronged him in some way.

What's the other one, for future reference?? ??? Man???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0607/430328.html

Lower Paxton Township, Dauphin County -

A bear, yes a bear, was on the loose in Dauphin County Saturday night. It both charmed and scared those in a Lower Paxton Township neighborhood.

Around 8:30 Saturday night, police were called to Prince Street for a report of a bear in a tree. Sirens wailed, trying to scare the bear back into the woods. Neighbors watched in amazement - many from rooftops.

The bear stayed in the tree for quite some time as police and game officials waited the arrival of a tranquilizer gun. It was coming in from Schuylkill County. The bear did not wait, but took off. It came to refuge in Elizabeth El Atieh's backyard.

"It didn't act agressive at all. It looked really scared. To be totally honest, it looked very scared," El Atieh explained.

The bear would run again too. When she finally settled in a tree a few blocks away, William Dingman from the PA Game Commission in Schuylkill County arrived with te

tranquilizer gun.

"I climbed up in top the tree and I used the hypodermic needle to administer the drug to the bear," explained Dingman.

The drug tranquilized the bear's muscles. Though fully conscious, but basically paralyzed, the bear then let herself gently drop to the ground.

Dingman noted, "She went out onto the lower end of a branch and then when she dropped she tried to do as much of a controlled drop as she could."

The 239 pound bear was then safely tucked away in a mobile bear trap. To spectators delight, Dingman explained the night's events to the crowd. He noted that the bear is not put to sleep; it just loses control of its muscles. The bear actually knows how to deliberately allow itself to fall from the tree. He also allowed neighbors to approach the bear and touch her.

"You're more than welcome to touch the claws, the paws there touch her back legs," he announced.

It was quite an experience for all involved.

Dingman explained, "When I get a chance to interact with the public and give them a chance to experience wildlife they haven't experienced in the past, sure it's a great day."

The bear did appear sluggish with a wound to her hip - possibly hit by a car. The Game Commission has encountered this bear before. They know because she already had tags in her ears. She will now spend some some time in a holding area until authorities can trace her identity, find out where she came from, and likely return her to that place.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
One of the best pieces of advice that I was ever give regarding bears is this - Make a ton of noise and don't surprise them. A great deal of bear attacks involve hunters... because they are quiet and sneaking around. Make a TON of noise... and yes, act aggressively.

As for the .22... you're right, you'll probably just piss it off. The luckiest guy I know (you'll see why) was hunting in Maine in the early 80's. He carried a small .22 pistol to finish off deer, or to bag small game. Well... he fell asleep at his hunting spot, and rolled over while sleeping. When he woke up, his rifle was about 5 feet away, and a big black bear was just on the other side of it. The bear stood up, got aggressive, and started to amble toward him. He pulled his little 6 shot 22 and fired all of the rounds at the bear's head, hoping to scare it away, or make it back off enough so he could get to his rifle. The bear fell forward and hit the ground about 2 feet in front of him, dead. One of his rounds entered the bear's mouth, and severed it's spine...

The park rangers are the ones that started calling him the luckiest guy alive. (Now he carries a .44 when he hunts)

steve

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Noodle

The other large animal native to the continent that will hunt man is a polar bear.

I'll bet you keep the polar bear repellant handy tho, LOL

Haven't seen any?

See how well it works.

OD

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Old Dog said:
Noodle

The other large animal native to the continent that will hunt man is a polar bear.

I'll bet you keep the polar bear repellant handy tho, LOL

Haven't seen any?

See how well it works.

OD
Also mountain lion, alligator, ferril dogs and black bear, cinnamon bear, brown bear.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cinnamon Bear, Brown Bear and Grizzlies...all the same. Cougars, Mountain Lions, Pumas....all the same. Alligators are opportunists. They do not stalk and hunt humans to my knowledge and I have never heard of a ferrel dog attack in N. America.

Jim

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Brown bear and grizzly are not the same. Much different. Both mean.

The cats, yes. Don't know about cinnamon bears.

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone say bears, well let me tell ya about tenbears! na never mind it's way to long and i don't want to bore yas. ::) ;D ;D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
jglunt said:
Cinnamon Bear, Brown Bear and Grizzlies...all the same. Cougars, Mountain Lions, Pumas....all the same. Alligators are opportunists. They do not stalk and hunt humans to my knowledge and I have never heard of a ferrel dog attack in N. America.

Jim
Cinnamon Bears are a cross breed of Grizzlies and brown bears found mostly in the cascade mountain regions. The Brown bear is a totally different species from grizzley but almost as big and dangerous, found mostly in the northern Canadian rockies. To say an alligator is an opportunist is tatamount to saying lepards who use the same ambush technique are opportunist. And alligator attacks on humans are almost as frequent as bears and just as often deadly. As for ferrel dog attacks they are believe it or not more common on humans in large urban cities, in the country side theytend to hunt deer and other smaller prey. If anyone doubts these things all you need do is spend 12 years working in hospital emergency rooms like I did and you'll see for yourself.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about a BIC and a bag of fire crackers in your vest pocket
and a .44 snub with the flush hammer(wont snag on clothes) in your belt

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
When out camping in bear country I always dig a fairly large hole a little way from my camp . I then put ashes from my campfire in the hole & scatter a few peas around the hole . If a bear comes by to take a pea I kick him in the ash hole . ;D

mirage hunter

Jun 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 PRO XL
Yes! Make allot of noise when your hiking!! the bears will leave before you even see them 95% of the time. Most bear attacks are from the bear being caught by surprise. Only when the female bears are with her cubs are they very defensive and dangerous! And carry a can of pepper spray!! It can deter a bear. ;)

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Reading this brought back memories....

One year we went to Yellowstone. We didn't camp out, however we packed meals to save on cost. The kids love honey and crackers so the Mrs packs this food item.

While eating lunch along the roadside, the kids notice the heavy duty trash barrels and inquired as to why. I mentioned that they were visiting bear country and that food scraps are easy pickings. They both seemed a little more apprehensive, but no biggy.

One asks what he should do if being chased by a bear...good ole dad humor kicks in...I tell'em that is why I plan on carrying the container of honey with me. I know they can run faster than I, but if I squirt honey on their backs there is no need in running faster.

For some reason the bottle of honey disappeared. ???

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
To say an alligator is an opportunist is tatamount to saying lepards who use the same ambush technique are opportunist. And alligator attacks on humans are almost as frequent as bears and just as often deadly. As for ferrel dog attacks they are believe it or not more common on humans in large urban cities, in the country side theytend to hunt deer and other smaller prey. If anyone doubts these things all you need do is spend 12 years working in hospital emergency rooms like I did and you'll see for yourself.

I did not say that Alligators don't attack humans...I said they don't stalk and hunt humans. In that regard, they are opportunists. Oh, and by the way, most attacks on humans are by Crocodiles, not Alligators and they are not native to the U.S. Also, please cite for me any recent FERRELL, NOT SOMEONES PET, dog attack on a human in this country. Your service in a hospital emergency room is admirable but it doesn't make you an expert on animal attacks.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions