Bear with me......

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
"wild" black bears by and large---avoid human contact---they as a rule are scared of you--they will "fight" under these conditions--they feel threated by you with no "way" out---they have cubs and feel you are a threat to them (like all mommas)---they are on a "gut pile or food "protecting their food--- bears during in hunting season tend to do this quite a bit---I myself have run across many "wild black bears" in the ocala nat forest in mid florida during the hunting seasons there---they have a large black bear population---do not run from them by the way --in a short sprint your no match --they are much faster and since "prey" or food animals run from bears--running may trigger the food/attack mode---stand still & tall---slowly spread your arms ---so you "look big" ---in the wild --big = tough remember the "bear" doesn't know what you are and how "tough" you are---so hes not likely to attack a "unknown" except in defense-----I have had a bear huff (somewhat like a dogs bark but "bear like") at me and swat the ground--do not move or startle them by rapid movements or loud noise---DO NOT scream or yell (unless attacked)----stand very still and they will leave---- watch that they do not circle around downwind of you and approch from behind---its a favorite bear trick) ---you most likely were down wind of the bear if you see him because he did not "smell" you and leave---thats their main sense ---smell---just like a deer-- if bears knew how easy unarmed humans were to kill lots of folks would be in big trouble---the same if sharks liked the "taste" of humans---thankfully the bears don't know and the sharks don't like the taste of us--and I'm not telling them---there are times when a unarmed man is not #1 on the food chain---- and being #2 on the chain sucks when a hungry #1 shows up---sadly we humans screw up the bears "natural fear" of us by leaving food out or even worse feeding the bears--( think of it like this---you would not start feeding a "homeless" 350 lb man thus getting him to hang around your house and if you then stopped feeding him he would get -- "mad" at you because he "expects" you to keep feeding him (basically you've adopted him)------now would you?)----its both illegal and very STUPID to do this----so NEVER DO IT-----it winds up getting folks mauled and bears killed----Ivan

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
Dealing with black bears boils down to understanding polite behavior of bear society.
They don't like unexpected guests, that is why always announcing your arrival with noise is number one. Of course there are times when you won't do this and there are rules for that also.
Don't touch a bear, they don't find people all that romantically interesting, so even a casual touch to a bear is the equivalent of grabbing a good looking stranger's bottom. Sure, a little chocolate and you might think you are making headway with a bear, but don't believe it. If you find it ness. to touch a bear do it hard not soft. They really don't care for wimps.
When it comes to eye contact, this can be a bit tricky as it is one of those social rules that has a couple meanings. But for now we will stay with the basics. Stairing at a bear is basically asking the bear if it thinks it is tougher then you. Now, unless you do want to try your hand wrestling with a bear it is not a good idea. Because even a bear that has some doubts it can take you may try. It is a pride thing. And a dominate bear of the area will definitely try. Oh and a real good way to see if it is a domainate bear is to run toward it flailing your arms and screaming. You may even see the bear equivalent of a smile if it is the dominate bear. All others will run away.
But, don't take your eyes off the bear, they feel kind of insulted when you do that and a number of things can happen, most of them not good.
A lot of bears are kind of braggers, so they will snap, charge, and swat at you. This is really nothing more then them trying to impress you with there stories. Don't run away, big insult,but don't just stand there and take a hit, then they think you are really really dumb. Act a little impressed, and step out of the way, at the same time acting a little bored.

Your in their home so they expect you to follow their rules.

Some points to concider, Small children, still in diapers stink, the smell of sour milk and other assorted odors coming form them is like candy to a bear. This goes for kids that live on chocolate too. Most aggressive behavior of bears in camping areas usually happens in camps with children. Or in places like trails and camping areas where idiots feed or leave scraps bears can get at. These areas become like grocery stores to the bears.

In most cases that hand gun you carry only make you feel safer. But if you do have to use it don't stop shotting until you run out of shells. If you are real lucky you got a brag story, but most likely if you shot at the bear you will have plenty of recover time to reconsider your choice or a dirt nap. A walking stick is actually a very effective weapon if a bear becomes too aggressive. A couple good raps on the nose will send most of them away. But lets get real real here. Chances are unless you are real dumb you will not have a problem in the woods with a black bear.

My fav. bear story: While running through the woods to cut off a string of horses that got loose about midnight. I ran full tilt into the side of a bear. Startled us both, it went humph and took off. I went dam! and kept after the horses.

Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread