Car mechanics..ever see anything like this??

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the gaskets for the intake manifold replaced,coolant leaking into my oil.I am very meticulous on lubrication,oil change every 3000 miles,synthetic at that.My mechanic called me over to look at this,He asked if I

ever change the oil..I could not believe that is what the engine internal looked like,it's the consistency of soft butter,150,000 miles on it.

DSCN0117.JPG black and white DSCN0117.JPG

What is that crap???

GOD Bless

Chris

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you buy it knew, Chris, or could a previous owner messed it up?

Enemy perhaps putting something in the engine?

Weird.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Been through a whole lot of cars. When cooling leaks into the oil, it tends to look like whipped cream and then you begin to hear little rat-tat-tats. Often is head gasket blow out. Left my cousin's 57 Chevy in Denton, Tx over that.

Engines have changed since I was a shade tree mechanic. Kinda looks like your oil hasn't been changed in a long time. Using synthetic you should be able to squeeze as much at 10k out of an oil change - using the good stuff. Me = lost trust = time to change who you use as a mechanic.

That "oil" is cooked!

But I'm not paranoid about stuff like that....

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like oil/water mix sludge. I worked for Porsche for 45 years and a certain model had oil cooler gasket problems, mixing oil and water. We would always see what looked kinda like a chocolate or mocca milk shake in the coolant overflow reservoir. We had to flush the coolant system with "Shout" detergent and water and twice more with water and change the oil after repair.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Been through a whole lot of cars. When cooling leaks into the oil, it tends to look like whipped cream and then you begin to hear little rat-tat-tats. Often is head gasket blow out. Left my cousin's 57 Chevy in Denton, Tx over that.

Engines have changed since I was a shade tree mechanic. Kinda looks like your oil hasn't been changed in a long time. Using synthetic you should be able to squeeze as much at 10k out of an oil change - using the good stuff. Me = lost trust = time to change who you use as a mechanic.

That "oil" is cooked!

But I'm not paranoid about stuff like that....

Been through a flywheel,3 fuel pumps,starter,1 universal,water pump.I'll run it till it stops.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few cars do the same thing...What we thought it was after sitting around trying to figure it out.....

The car was started and drove to work, a couple miles away, then drove home and sat until the next morning.. and so on.....Never really driving it far enough,or long enough to get good and hot to evaporate the condensation that builds up inside the motor. Then it eventually turns to that white creamy stuff mixing with the oil..:dontknow:

Have no clue! That's what we came up with on one of my cars.. Not, sure!

Last edited:
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a few cars do the same thing...What we thought it was after sitting around trying to figure it out.....

The car was started and drove to work, a couple miles away, then drove home and sat until the next morning.. and so on.....Never really driving it far enough,or long enough to get good and hot to evaporate the condensation that builds up inside the motor. Then it eventually turns to that white creamy stuff mixing with the oil..:dontknow:

Have no clue! That's what we came up with on one of my cars.. Not, sure!

You hit it on the head,most trips are short and with the leak..messy.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks hydrogenated.:laughing7:
Engines used to run right at around 111 degrees (pre fuel injection , carb intake anyway)..
Some have a p.c.v. valve allow an air wash into the nearest cylinder which is hard on that near valve. Exhaust in my previous case.
I'd be more curious of if the oil was falling through the heads as it should without obstructions.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks pretty typical after the problems. Flush the motor and keep driving. I did and I'm now on 255,000. It's a Chevy and made to take it...

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OK,short drives took it's toll,taking the Wife to work is a 4.5 mile round trip.I never gave it serious thought!I hope I get another 100,000 out of it.I just don't see how someone can afford a new car payment,my last new car was 36 years ago,it cost 5200.00!

GOD Bless

Chris

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember when I had a job after school fixing flats at a gas station. The station had real mechanics.
Some cars used non-detergent oil and sludge would form. I've seen mechanics scooping sludge out of the
engine valley by the hand fulls.
But once in awhile they would put a quart or two of oil and the rest kerosene, add it to the crankcase, run the engine awhile, then
drain the mix to get the sludge out. Didn't seem to be a problem but the engine wasn't under load either. Lots of smoke.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been through a flywheel,3 fuel pumps,starter,1 universal,water pump.I'll run it till it stops.
Heck fire Chris, pretty soon you gonna HAVE a new car, in all them new pieces parts. :laughing7:
Save the receipts, if it ever gets totalled, make 'em pay ya fair market value for all the new parts.

I had to do that once on a car, actually got more, than what the insurance originally wanted to give.
Sometimes it can pay to hiss, spit, scratch, and claw. :cat:
Now, if I just knew how to file all this excessive paperwork, I tend to hold on to, too long. :laughing7:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I had a job after school fixing flats at a gas station. The station had real mechanics.
Some cars used non-detergent oil and sludge would form. I've seen mechanics scooping sludge out of the
engine valley by the hand fulls.
But once in awhile they would put a quart or two of oil and the rest kerosene, add it to the crankcase, run the engine awhile, then
drain the mix to get the sludge out. Didn't seem to be a problem but the engine wasn't under load either. Lots of smoke.

Yep! I know when I was wrenching in the 1980's I would work on cars and in engine rebuilds or repairs find a lot of black wax type stuff built up in the valve covers, heads and other parts of the engine. Found out by most of the customers they used Quaker State motor oil which had parafin wax in it back in the 60's-mid 80's! (Don't know about that now, but I am sure they removed it out of their products). Any you old timers wrenchers remember that? There was one way to clean that crap out, dig and scrape, varsol, or acid dip!

I only use 1 type of motor oil, Castrol Synthetic for my cars, and Castrol 15-40 in my diesel, my Harley I run Amsoil Synthetic

But yes, if you drive less than 15 miles round trip every day for work, you will leave condensation in the engine block!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread