Deputy Fires ‘One-in-a-Billion’ Shot Down Barrel of Suspect’s Gun

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Deputy Fires 'One-in-a-Billion' Shot Down Barrel of Suspect's Gun

officer-involved-shooting-report-jefferson-county-deputy-jose-ramon-marquez-2-12-18th-Judicial-D.jpg

by AWR Hawkins 15 Jul 2016

On July 13, Arapahoe County prosecutors released details on a January shooting in which a Colorado deputy opened fire during an attempted robbery and shot a bullet down the barrel of a suspect’s pistol.

The shot is considered “one-in-a-billion.”

According to the Aurora Sentinel, Deputy Jose Marquez was off duty and not in uniform when the incident occurred. He walked out of his girlfriend’s apartment “to grab something from his car.” On his way back inside, he was confronted by two men, one of whom, Jhalil Meshesha, pulled a gun and told Marquez to “give it up.”

Marquez was armed, as well, and an exchange of gunfire occurred.

One of Marquez’s bullets traveled down the barrel of Meshesha’s gun, “disabling” it.

In the letter released July 13, Arapahoe County Deputy District Attorney Rich Orman said, “Deputy Marquez reasonably believed that his life was in danger and acted reasonably in shooting Meshesha, and that he used an appropriate level of physical force. I further find that Deputy Marquez’s actions were justified and he did not violate Colorado law.”

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Deputy Marquez has entered living legend status among his peers.

Amazing luck... and with pistols!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my sons is a shooting instructor and concealed carry instructor. At almost every class he is asked to show off his signature shot. He will shoot a target at about 20 feet away with a 9mm pistol. He then takes the spent brass and inserts it in the hole he put in the target. Then, from the same distance, he will shoot that spent brass out of the same hole. If he misses, it's only by a quarter inch or so, but he usually hits it on the first try. If he doesn't, he'll hit it on the second try. It amazes his students and gets him some extra clients. :)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, what I would like to see, is ALL states allow Off-Duty Cops (men/women) to "Open-carry"; they already have the training, maybe SOME experience; a "deterrence" to "would-be" criminals. Even Off-Duty Cops with concealed weapons permits. I had a Concealed Weapon permit in 1990-1991 & 1992, with a Snub-nose 5 shots pistol, issued to me (with training). I think it was an old VSP "hand-me-down"; I enjoyed the AR-15 in training, tho... NEVER carried "off-duty", b/c wife was not comfortable with that idea... HA! Her father was Lt. Colonel of Maryland State Police, & her brother was Sgt. in MSP K-9 Unit. "I'm TIRED of having GUNS in the house"...she said. Her brother in County Police now, & I had to turn in my Snub-nose, when I was RETIRED on DISABILITY, heh! THAT deputy has my vote for doing his job... GREAT JOB! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: Coffee & Dunking donuts...? :goldtrophy: :hello2:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Intended or not with that shot ,a bullet goes where it is pointed till affected,deflected,absorbed , or runs out of energy.

Interesting event though!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my sons is a shooting instructor and concealed carry instructor. At almost every class he is asked to show off his signature shot. He will shoot a target at about 20 feet away with a 9mm pistol. He then takes the spent brass and inserts it in the hole he put in the target. Then, from the same distance, he will shoot that spent brass out of the same hole. If he misses, it's only by a quarter inch or so, but he usually hits it on the first try. If he doesn't, he'll hit it on the second try. It amazes his students and gets him some extra clients. :)

When I shot pro archery (years ago) splitting / telegraphing and arrow into the shaft of another was cool the first few times. After that most of us just saw $$$$ signs. That's why all pro's only shoot one arrow at a single bull's eye at a time. I used to file / cut off the end of an arrow and mount a new knock. Then shoot to telegraph on purpose. It usually only took a few shots and metal would fly. While that may be "cheating" a true telegraphed shot it still took a hell of a shot to hit the knock and funnel inward. All in fun.... glad others paid for the expensive shafts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread