Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember those old ads years ago? Jeep in crate for cheap.

my uncle was approached by a man admiring my Uncle's restored jeep, and wanted to know if he wanted another one.

The guy said his Dad recently died, and they found a ww2 jeep in a crate in his barn.....I'm trying to find one for sale, to come up with a value, but I can't find any on line. Finding a lot of stories about them, but not any for sale, or any recent photos.

Any one have an idea where to look, or how much one "in the crate" might be worth?:icon_scratch:

Thanks

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last thing I heard was in the 70s. They quit selling surplus jeeps unless they were made inoperable by cutting the bucket at least in quarters. What I was told was someone bought a surplus jeep, got it running and flipped it on the highway. They tried to sue the govt. So that rule went into effect. The only other info I have on this is I bought a 51 Willys that had a weld running down the middle. Seller told me he had to go rent a torch & split it to take it home.

If you're still looking, there used to be a Jeep junkyard in Long Beach Calif. that guy was the only place around that had transfer cases for them. Can't remember the name, but I think they're still there.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quoted from another forum:

"The "Jeep in a crate" myth is just that. The Army did crate jeeps, but just as quickly uncrated them overseas. After the war, the Army surplussed used Jeeps but by korea was so desperate for Jeeps that they were salvaging pacific war battlefields for them. If the Army was overhauling Jeeps left on Saipan and Tinian, why would they sell new Jeeps in the crate? The Jeep in a crate adds started appearing in the 1950s and were just a scam. You sent for the information and the company got your address and the sold that and all you got was a list of government auctions. Merrill Madsen, a Jeep collector from Minnesota, has offered a huge sum of money to anyone who could deliver to him an original WWII Jeep in the crate, or proof that such a Jeep had ever been purchased from the Army. To this day nobody has ever collected. Everybody says that "a freind's uncle's Brother in law bought one" or some such but nobody has actually claimed the prize. It's just an urban legend. "

Crated jeeps do exist! - MILITARY VEHICLES - U.S. Militaria Forum

More:

Army Jeep In A Crate for $50
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/jeep-crate-for-50.html
The $50 Jeep In A Crate Urban Legend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread