Has anyone made their own tin cloth garments?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone made their own tin cloth garments? Update: I have!

I really need a new set of field pants for duck hunting. I've always wanted a pair of Filson tin cloth pants, but I cannot justify spending 200+ bucks on a pair of them. I've been reading up on ways to coat cotton garments with a homemade recipe to make them waterproof and basically indestructible.

The most promising one I've found essentially requires melting a wax commode ring in a double boiler, then adding equal parts (16oz each) of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. Paint it on the garment while the solution is hot, and let it hang and cure for a week, then go over it lightly with with a heat gun, and let it cure till completely dry.

I got a couple pairs of Carhart double front work pants on sale recently, and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Just curious if anyone has tried anything similar. Would be interested in hearing your thouhts, and I'll update in a week or so with pictures of my results. I'm going to do it tomorrow.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
On the Filson website, their Double Hunting Pant, Shelter Brush Pant and Oil Finish Double Tin Pant are each only $215. A steal for even the most miserly shopper! :laughing7:

I had to look up "tin cloth pants", as I had never heard of such a thing before. However, one of the links that came (this search was for "what is tin cloth?") back looks interesting. Might wanna give it a read:
How to Waterproof Fabric Using Tin Cloth - Hands-on and How-to blog - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Seems like one could do this to even basic denim jeans and come up with somewhat decent results. :dontknow:

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so maybe I exaggerated a touch on the price of the Filton pants, but that's still a goodly chunk of money for a guy with a young family to blow on a pair of hunting pants lol.

I had actually read that same article you linked (among many others) and stumbled upon this one, which I think should be a safe bet. Tin Cloth Recipe

As I've said, I bought the materials, and I'll become a mad scientist tomorrow.... outside on my little butane camping stove hehe.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read how wax toilet rings have not been made of beeswax for many years, so I wonder if there would be any benefit with using actual beeswax over a wax toilet ring?

It gets awful windy up here in the winter. Plenty cold enough to not have to worry about a coat being waterproof, but trying to keep the wind out is a living nightmare! Have TONS of jackets that need better wind resistance, so would like to try on one (or 100 :tongue3:) of them! Have you read of any benefits of one over the other?

Thanks for the link - still reading!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the deed is done. Just have to play the waiting game now. The pants look and feel super slimy, but that's supposed to go away in a week or so.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Which recipe did you use, and how well did the goop apply?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if this is the same but I used Otter Wax on some canvas bags for my bike trailer. Works great, used the same method on a canvas cabin tent as well and never had an issue.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which recipe did you use, and how well did the goop apply?

I used the one for which I provided the link. It was almost like applying water when it was warm. Very viscous. It soaked right in. It only turned slimy after it cooled off, and I'm going to credit the wax for that. It actually looks very promising. I'll provide pictures and a bit of feedback on the success of the application next week after it's had a bit of time to cure.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if this is the same but I used Otter Wax on some canvas bags for my bike trailer. Works great, used the same method on a canvas cabin tent as well and never had an issue.

I thought it might be a cool experiment to try it on my own and save a few hundred bucks. The ingredients were dirt cheap. Only used half of them, and not counting the pants, I'm into it ten dollars. If this is a success, I'll certainly be applying the process to other garments.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Warning ,fire hazard.
Folks used to paint tent canvas with paraffin( canning wax) that had been dissolved in white gas.
They gas dried off leaving fabric waxed.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Warning ,fire hazard.
Folks used to paint tent canvas with paraffin( canning wax) that had been dissolved in white gas.
They gas dried off leaving fabric waxed.

Not the same thing, and yes, the ingredients are flammable.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, they are complete. The hung in my basement for a bit longer than the instructions specify. I took them outside after work today and went over them lightly with a heatgun. It evened out the color, and proved to me they are also completely fireproof!

I then brought them inside and ran them directly under running water for over 30 seconds, and the inside remained 100% dry. They are absolutely waterproof!

The look pretty much as I expected. Kind of a glossy look, and a few shades darker than untreated. They sorta feel waxy, but not too bad. Nothing comes off if I rub them. I am very pleased with the result. Going to give them a trial by fire when I go duck hunting this weekend. It's supposed to be bitterly cold, and we'll be in the snow, so although I'm going to dress in layers, I am trusting they will keep me dry.

I'll give another update this weekend after my hunting trip!

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about stiffness?

Meh... they are not rigormortis-stiff, but they are a little stiff. I have no doubt they will break in quickly, probably via creases, if that helps to explain. They are still pliable, but not like a cotton shirt.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need a new set of field pants for duck hunting. I've always wanted a pair of Filson tin cloth pants, but I cannot justify spending 200+ bucks on a pair of them. I've been reading up on ways to coat cotton garments with a homemade recipe to make them waterproof and basically indestructible.

The most promising one I've found essentially requires melting a wax commode ring in a double boiler, then adding equal parts (16oz each) of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. Paint it on the garment while the solution is hot, and let it hang and cure for a week, then go over it lightly with with a heat gun, and let it cure till completely dry.

I got a couple pairs of Carhart double front work pants on sale recently, and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Just curious if anyone has tried anything similar. Would be interested in hearing your thouhts, and I'll update in a week or so with pictures of my results. I'm going to do it tomorrow.
Please! Be very careful with anything involving mineral sprits and open flames !!!!!!!!! Are you sure about the ingredients??? I've pulled up toilet rings that were 45+ years old that were still gooey & sticky. Don't know why but it feels to me like you're being sent on a snipe hunt.

Go to Walmart, Kmart, and some sporting goods stores and ask for the water proofing sprays. Get the cheap one that comes in a yellow and black can. Spray three or four coats on your pants let it completely dry between coats + an extra coat or two down the seams. I've sprayed a couple military field jackets and a pair of pants this way and it was still beading water 3 or 4 years later. HINT - If you do a jacket make sure you don't miss on the arm pits!!! Melted snow under the arms is a real wake up when you don't expect it. Just for *hits & giggles you could try that spray rubber they advertise can make an air boat out of window screen. If it doesn't get a refund!

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please! Be very careful with anything involving mineral sprits and open flames !!!!!!!!! Are you sure about the ingredients??? I've pulled up toilet rings that were 45+ years old that were still gooey & sticky. Don't know why but it feels to me like you're being sent on a snipe hunt.

Go to Walmart, Kmart, and some sporting goods stores and ask for the water proofing sprays. Get the cheap one that comes in a yellow and black can. Spray three or four coats on your pants let it completely dry between coats + an extra coat or two down the seams. I've sprayed a couple military field jackets and a pair of pants this way and it was still beading water 3 or 4 years later. HINT - If you do a jacket make sure you don't miss on the arm pits!!! Melted snow under the arms is a real wake up when you don't expect it. Just for *hits & giggles you could try that spray rubber they advertise can make an air boat out of window screen. If it doesn't get a refund!

Thanks for the remarks. This is an ongoing experiment. The process is already done and the results were great. Please see the rest of the thread for a full run-down.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamond Dan-
your the man. Thanks for posting your trial and results. I first wore Filson tins 20 years ago, had them for 15 years of great use. About 5 years ago they started going cheaper on the fabric and I can't get a pair of pants to last 2 years. I guide pheasant hunts in SD and I wish I had a cheaper alternative to buying Filson (no longer all USA made)
The best Benifits are a fabric that cuts wind but won't snag on brush, they are waterproof but you cannot wash them in a washing machine. I wash mine by hand.
Are your tins broken in? Are you dipping more gear? IMG_1197.JPG

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep! My tins are broken in. The smell finally wore out of them after about 6-8 trips to the blind. Frankly, the pants are bad ass. Totally waterproof and windproof, but I'm not going to be sitting in a puddle with them anytime soon. Went out in -10 degree weather with wind and sleet to knock some birds down, and they performed flawlessly. Probably gonna coat them again when I get a chance. The solution soaked into the fabric, but it has lost a little waterproofing in the knees where I have knelt down in them a lot.

I haven't done any other gear yet, but I plan on doing so when things calm down and I have some free time away from work. Bottom line: The most expensive part of this whole operation is the clothing that you will be treating. It's dirt cheap and the results are outstanding! Thanks for the reply!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, thanks for the update. And Highnam, thanks for reviving the thread. Was wondering some months ago if there had been any updates, but there hadn't.

Didn't get a chance to do my clothing last year. What VERY few days we had warm enough to work in, were too full of bugs. Was a horrible season, for sure! Will have a shop to work in next time around, so will try to remember to post in my results. Have been rummaging over various ideas using this treatment, and wondering why it has to be limited to clothing? Seems like it would also work for untreated wood. We don't have insects that will damage wood like they do down south. Only have to protect against water, as we have an exceptionally high water table! So have been thinking that maybe I could use leftover solution to treat some lumber, like on a small trailer, for example.

Thoughts??

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure about lumber, but I don't see why it wouldn't work well. I treated my leather hunting boots with the little bit that was left over and it worked like a champ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread