Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Has anyone made their own tin cloth garments?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Bounty Hunter QD2
    523 times
    Metal Detecting

Has anyone made their own tin cloth garments? Update: I have!

I really need a new set of field pants for duck hunting. I've always wanted a pair of Filson tin cloth pants, but I cannot justify spending 200+ bucks on a pair of them. I've been reading up on ways to coat cotton garments with a homemade recipe to make them waterproof and basically indestructible.

The most promising one I've found essentially requires melting a wax commode ring in a double boiler, then adding equal parts (16oz each) of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. Paint it on the garment while the solution is hot, and let it hang and cure for a week, then go over it lightly with with a heat gun, and let it cure till completely dry.

I got a couple pairs of Carhart double front work pants on sale recently, and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Just curious if anyone has tried anything similar. Would be interested in hearing your thouhts, and I'll update in a week or so with pictures of my results. I'm going to do it tomorrow.
    Last edited by DiamondDan; Dec 14, 2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Greatly exaggerated Filson cost lol

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4512 times
    Prospecting
    On the Filson website, their Double Hunting Pant, Shelter Brush Pant and Oil Finish Double Tin Pant are each only $215. A steal for even the most miserly shopper!

I had to look up "tin cloth pants", as I had never heard of such a thing before. However, one of the links that came (this search was for "what is tin cloth?") back looks interesting. Might wanna give it a read:
    How to Waterproof Fabric Using Tin Cloth - Hands-on and How-to blog - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Seems like one could do this to even basic denim jeans and come up with somewhat decent results.
    DiamondDan likes this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, so maybe I exaggerated a touch on the price of the Filton pants, but that's still a goodly chunk of money for a guy with a young family to blow on a pair of hunting pants lol.

I had actually read that same article you linked (among many others) and stumbled upon this one, which I think should be a safe bet. Tin Cloth Recipe

As I've said, I bought the materials, and I'll become a mad scientist tomorrow.... outside on my little butane camping stove hehe.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4512 times
    Prospecting
    I've read how wax toilet rings have not been made of beeswax for many years, so I wonder if there would be any benefit with using actual beeswax over a wax toilet ring?

It gets awful windy up here in the winter. Plenty cold enough to not have to worry about a coat being waterproof, but trying to keep the wind out is a living nightmare! Have TONS of jackets that need better wind resistance, so would like to try on one (or 100 ) of them! Have you read of any benefits of one over the other?

Thanks for the link - still reading!!

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, the deed is done. Just have to play the waiting game now. The pants look and feel super slimy, but that's supposed to go away in a week or so.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4512 times
    Prospecting
    Which recipe did you use, and how well did the goop apply?

Charter Member
    us
    Retired

Aug 2012
    Great Falls
    Radiodetection RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400 Minelab CTX 17 DD 6 & 10X5 DD Coiltek. GPZ 14 & 19 Coil JW Fisher Pulse 8X 5 & 16 coils
    4448 times
    Metal Detecting
    Not sure if this is the same but I used Otter Wax on some canvas bags for my bike trailer. Works great, used the same method on a canvas cabin tent as well and never had an issue.
    DiamondDan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    Which recipe did you use, and how well did the goop apply?
    I used the one for which I provided the link. It was almost like applying water when it was warm. Very viscous. It soaked right in. It only turned slimy after it cooled off, and I'm going to credit the wax for that. It actually looks very promising. I'll provide pictures and a bit of feedback on the success of the application next week after it's had a bit of time to cure.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Not sure if this is the same but I used Otter Wax on some canvas bags for my bike trailer. Works great, used the same method on a canvas cabin tent as well and never had an issue.
    I thought it might be a cool experiment to try it on my own and save a few hundred bucks. The ingredients were dirt cheap. Only used half of them, and not counting the pants, I'm into it ten dollars. If this is a success, I'll certainly be applying the process to other garments.
    Oddjob likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    11577 times
    Warning ,fire hazard.
    Folks used to paint tent canvas with paraffin( canning wax) that had been dissolved in white gas.
    They gas dried off leaving fabric waxed.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    Warning ,fire hazard.
    Folks used to paint tent canvas with paraffin( canning wax) that had been dissolved in white gas.
    They gas dried off leaving fabric waxed.
    Not the same thing, and yes, the ingredients are flammable.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, they are complete. The hung in my basement for a bit longer than the instructions specify. I took them outside after work today and went over them lightly with a heatgun. It evened out the color, and proved to me they are also completely fireproof!

I then brought them inside and ran them directly under running water for over 30 seconds, and the inside remained 100% dry. They are absolutely waterproof!

The look pretty much as I expected. Kind of a glossy look, and a few shades darker than untreated. They sorta feel waxy, but not too bad. Nothing comes off if I rub them. I am very pleased with the result. Going to give them a trial by fire when I go duck hunting this weekend. It's supposed to be bitterly cold, and we'll be in the snow, so although I'm going to dress in layers, I am trusting they will keep me dry.

I'll give another update this weekend after my hunting trip!
    kcm likes this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4512 times
    Prospecting
    What about stiffness?

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Pocatello, Idaho
    523 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    What about stiffness?
    Meh... they are not rigormortis-stiff, but they are a little stiff. I have no doubt they will break in quickly, probably via creases, if that helps to explain. They are still pliable, but not like a cotton shirt.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    1885 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
    I really need a new set of field pants for duck hunting. I've always wanted a pair of Filson tin cloth pants, but I cannot justify spending 200+ bucks on a pair of them. I've been reading up on ways to coat cotton garments with a homemade recipe to make them waterproof and basically indestructible.

The most promising one I've found essentially requires melting a wax commode ring in a double boiler, then adding equal parts (16oz each) of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. Paint it on the garment while the solution is hot, and let it hang and cure for a week, then go over it lightly with with a heat gun, and let it cure till completely dry.

I got a couple pairs of Carhart double front work pants on sale recently, and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Just curious if anyone has tried anything similar. Would be interested in hearing your thouhts, and I'll update in a week or so with pictures of my results. I'm going to do it tomorrow.
    Please! Be very careful with anything involving mineral sprits and open flames !!!!!!!!! Are you sure about the ingredients I've pulled up toilet rings that were 45+ years old that were still gooey & sticky. Don't know why but it feels to me like you're being sent on a snipe hunt.

Go to Walmart, Kmart, and some sporting goods stores and ask for the water proofing sprays. Get the cheap one that comes in a yellow and black can. Spray three or four coats on your pants let it completely dry between coats + an extra coat or two down the seams. I've sprayed a couple military field jackets and a pair of pants this way and it was still beading water 3 or 4 years later. HINT - If you do a jacket make sure you don't miss on the arm pits!!! Melted snow under the arms is a real wake up when you don't expect it. Just for *hits & giggles you could try that spray rubber they advertise can make an air boat out of window screen. If it doesn't get a refund!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links