Bad translations into English

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure that we have all either bought or seen products from other countries and either the advertising or user manual has some serious problems with the translation to English. Let's see them here. Here is one that I saw today while looking for a particular type of USB keyboard:

Keyboard.JPG

Gee, I would hope that it would work.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have seen those SO many times that I'm not even gonna worry about looking for any of the papers. Seems like they could have a proofreader check them, but that would cost money, and they're in the habit of making for as cheap as possible. So, that includes as little quality control as they can get away with.

I've heard of some "Made in China" products that had well over 50% failure rate, yet they remained good sellers for a long time. It took that long for word to get out and for buyers to finally learn to resist that urge to buy something "because it's a GREAT DEAL"!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure that we have all either bought or seen products from other countries and either the advertising or user manual has some serious problems with the translation to English. Let's see them here. Here is one that I saw today while looking for a particular type of USB keyboard:

View attachment 1392400

Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least they didn't say "BUS" port...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes pictures "are" worth a thousand words.
I once found a piece of paper with someone's grocery list in Chinese in the hardware package....so much for instructions!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I worked with an engineer (Chinese), and I took him an instruction manual to help me understand what in the heck was going on. He told me that I had to understand the manual was from notes by a tech. "These notes were taken to a receptionist to translate". This translated paper was then taken to someone to set up to print and they basically did a cut & paste. This was back when cut & paste was literally taking a bunch of copies cutting off pieces and gluing them on a piece of paper. Sometimes they made changes because it didn't sound right in their limited English vocabulary. Then it was printed!

After all these years it's the only thing that make sense!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I lived in Macedonia for a while. There was a rubber-band balsa wood airplane in the mall. It explained that you should, "Grasp the shaft firmly and ejaculate the device and gently release it".

I bought it just for the instructions.

Too funny.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIB bet those instructions made your life better

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1392400

Congrats on your purchase of the Quest Pro!:dontknow:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the old Microsoft DOS error display... " Keyboard not found. Press F2 to resume" No translation needed :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread