Dino Feather - What Are The Odds ?

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was helping the grandson with his gravity project. Had a nugget and feather to compare the speed of gravity. After taking pictures was looking at the
nugget through the microscope and noticed what looks like it could be a feather embedded in the nugget. Hard to get a clear picture as the camera wants
to focus on the outer rim and not down in the nugget where this is. First picture is of the grandson doing the drop, second is a microscope view of what
is embedded in the nugget..Will be trying to get some better pictures..Found some pictures of Dino feathers online and used one for comparison...

Gravity Project.jpg ............... Dino Feather Compared.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold generally is formed out of hydrothermal deposits, from deep within the earth. Therefore a sedimentary feather in it is not likely. What is likely is dendritic gold or silver in the gold. Which is an AWESOME find.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be more likely that it is of plant origin, IMO.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Microscopic plant fiber is also a possibility. How to find out? Boil the nugget a few minutes and see if it's still there. If organic it will be a goner, if gold or silver dendrite it will still be there and absolutely untouched.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
feather or not, I'd be tickled to have a 40 gram gold nugget

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat, thanks for your input. I have several rocks with dentrite so I'm pretty sure that I am able to rule this thought out.

kcm, that was my first thought also and I 'm sure that I am able to rule that out also for several reasons. I've had this for a long time and I would suspect that
plant matter would have dried up or fallen apart with all the handling. This (what ever it is) is embedded at it's base in the gold/quartz and is standing
free inside the cavity without touching the side walls of the cavity. It is secured and free floating within the cavity. This looks like it is a very black color.

Funny thing is, in all these years I never knew it was there until yesterday. I just hope one day this will be solved......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cariboo5, plant material can be covered with iron oxide and stay that way for years. I have DUST in my house that does the same thing! Did you find the nugget? I have an ounce and a half nugget from Georgia, but I bought it some years ago. Biggest I have ever found is about 8 grams.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cariboo5, plant material can be covered with iron oxide and stay that way for years. I have DUST in my house that does the same thing! Did you find the nugget? I have an ounce and a half nugget from Georgia, but I bought it some years ago. Biggest I have ever found is about 8 grams.

Yes, well over 20 years ago. I suppose it may very well be plant material. Looking through the microscope it shows the barbs are pointing forward off of the main stem
similar to this drawing I found online.

Forward Feather.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions