Look to the sky for New Year's Eve comet

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Look to the sky for New Year's Eve comet

USA Today Network Sean Rossman , USA TODAY 5 p.m. EST December 29, 2016

636186183614031442-comet1.jpg

The NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory says a comet may be visible as people welcome in 2017 on Saturday. If you miss it, don't worry! Several comets are expected to be visible throughout the year.

Apart from the traditional fireworks and illuminated ball in Times Square, look for a blazing comet to light the night sky on New Year’s Eve.

The NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory said a comet may be visible as people welcome in 2017 on Saturday.

“Say farewell to 2016 in cosmic style by looking up to see the #NewYearsEve #comet on December 31,” the laboratory said in a Wednesday Instagram post.

Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova will be near the moon on New Year's Eve, NASA said.

The comet, NASA said, was expected to appear in the western horizon on Dec. 15 and had a bluish-green head by Dec. 21. The comet is a periodic comet, which returns to the inner solar system about every 5 years.

Dr. David Reitzel, an astronomical lecturer at Griffith Observatory in California, said the comet is visible now using a telescope or strong binoculars. On Saturday, people should point their instruments to the west just after sunset to catch a glimpse of the comet, which will be just to the left of the crescent moon. For a good view, go somewhere away from residential lights.

It looks like 2017 may be a good year for comet spotting. NASA said people will be able to view several throughout the year. In fact, Reitzel said people can take a peak at Comet 45P when it's closer to Earth — about 7.5 million miles away — on Feb. 11.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Harbinger of bad news...? Something about a BIG old "Space Rock" heading our way in 2017...?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It's supposed to come up with a crescent moon. I just went out and looked and the moon is not up yet, nor the comet. I'll be going out to look again :)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went out, 11:30 PM in SW Va. The sky is cloud covered.

In my life I've never seen a comet. Some of you out there may get a picture tonight.

Please share with us!

Me right now = :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread