Got the best deal ill ever get on anything ever...

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a buddy of mine decided to sell me a eiflescope of his last night. A Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 mil dot. We agreed on 150 bucks for it (which is a steal in and of itself because that's less than 50% the value and it's NIB...

That's not even the best part. He threw in another Nikon prostaff 3-9x40mm scope, an old redfield 4.5-14x scope, and a Harris bipod. All for 150 bucks.

That's well over 500 bucks worth of stuff.

Somebody pinch me.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha. I'm sure they are going to start doing background checks for them or ban them for their long range killing capabilities...

Because my .17 wsm is a long range assassin/sniper rifle...

Then again the ammo is frangible...

And even more funny is that I'm an armorer/bodyguard stick in los angeles. Total gun nerd here.

I think treasure and guns go hand in hand. Because so many treasure hunters find old firearms metal detecting and magnet fishing...

And I'm sure a few of us like to carry while detecting and treasure hunting...

Just for giggles here's the Nikon Buckminster and Harris bipod on said rifle:

the accessories are worth more than the rifle haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I really want to get out of CA...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spencer, that .17 is too light for a long distance sniper..bullet is just too light. (and
yes, it's JMHO..lol)

Only say that because back in the 80's I was shooting the .17 Rem, and beyond
300 yds. it was "iffy", and at those ranges there were times it failed to carry sufficient
knock down power to put a coyote down (center mass shot).

Very cool looking rifle though, especially with the stainless Douglas barrel. It'd be
awesome for furbearers under 200 yds. providing there's not a high wind blowing.

Nice deal on the scopes! That Nikon 6x18 will be perfect for ground squirrels!

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah guns are good. My second hobby is guns and reloading. When the 4 boys were at home (all grown now) Saturdays were made for shooting.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was being sarcastic about he long range part. If you do some googlefu you can find that when I was 21 I made a .17hmr penetrate an f class target at 800 yards. (not group, just 1 tiny hole after walking in 15 consecutive shots) and was witnessed by Jerry Tierney.

.17's are NOT long range guns but I know for a fact I can push the wsm out to 500 consistently (only 5.5 Mila of drop at 500 yards with a 25gr bullet). I used to shoot my .17 hmr to 300 consistently (even in heavy eind, you just have to know how to dope) and even 400.

I shoot .17 cal rimfires more than any other caliber. I've put tens of thousands of rounds of 17hmr downrange.

Ok just because I know nobody is going to believe me here is the proof:

That me holding the low end Mossberg 817 with comically large scope (i fully filled/bedded the stock and gave it a 2.5lb trigger). I have a lot more pictures of that day but you guys the the point lol. I'm a .17 cal rimfire nerd. I really like to stretch it's legs at the range. It makes me better at shooting my other rifles because of challenging it can be in high winds to keep a consistent group.

I went way off subject there.

Guns are my #1 hobby and part of my every day career since I carry at work.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice shootin'!

I grew up in So. Cal. (east Orange County), and got hooked on varmint hunting
at an early age. As a hard-hunting member of the CSVCA (Calif. Varmint Callers Assn.),
my interest was in bullet performance at longer ranges. My weapon of choice was
the stock M700 BDL Varmint in .243 (aka: M40), and then I added a Douglas Premium
barrel, had it fully filled/bedded, added a very nice Canjar trigger and topped it with
a 3.5x10 Leupold.

Took me a month to get the bullet/powder combo just right, and I ended up with a
load that pretty much duplicated the Federal Premium 85gr. BTHP load.

Best shot was a 600+ yard night time shot that dropped a coyote where it stood.

Loved that rifle, but in a moment of galactic stupidity I sold it to buy my second wife's
wedding ring. My rifle was gone, and so was she in 1995. :BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Hell of a shot. 600 yards on anything with a pulse in impressive.

I'm a small caliber guy. Jerry Tierney got me hooked on shooting .223 at 1k. My favorite long range rig (for gunting) is my Baikal mp-18 in .223. Its a varmint gun with a varmint barrel but it can push a couple of different off the shelf varmint loads to 1k because of its 23.5" barrel. Its also a sub moa gun which shocked me. With Winchester 45gr hollowpoints I can get half moa 3 shot groups consistently out to about 600 yards. Beyond that they start to destabilize too much I think. They can still maintain about 1-3 moa spreads a bit further. The loads that maintain accuracy at 1k seem to keep about .75moa on paper at shorter ranges.

I've had a bunch of HEAVILY modified remingtons but I just like single shots. They just scratch an itch of mine even though break actions rarely maintain a constistent accuracy level that bolt actions do.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got an old 30-30 for sale pm me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread