Any Bull Riders?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
My young son asked about this when he saw a commercial.

This reminded me of a guy I worked with years ago who rode bulls semi-professionally.

I'll try most anything once and more if I like it. I asked him to teach me and give me a try. I like a good rush and it seems a good challenge.

Let me tell you! You don't know adrenaline until you've been lashed to a 1200 pound pissed-off unpredictable mass of muscle, horn, and hoof determined to knock you off and stomp you. I was trying to stay on because I was afraid what would happen if I were to jump off! The bull was too much for my experience and I unwillingly left my perch atop his back. I hit the ground hard, getting the wind knocked out of me. No time to breathe anyway. I cleared a 5 foot fence with only one hand on the top rail and the other clutching my ribs. That's adrenaline athletics because I probably could not have done it any other way.

2.2 seconds - seemed like 22 minutes from where I sat.

Yeah, that was a good laugh putting me on your craziest bull you nut-bag! I gave up bull riding ideas on the spot. You guys are crazy adrenaline junkies!

Show your hand if you're a crazy bull rider. (keeping my hand down) Respect for that....I think....:icon_scratch::laughing7:

The-History-of-Bull-Riding-1030x687.jpg

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I'm a little more sane than you were. I always thought it was a rather stupid thing to do. ...Then again, many people think that about fire fighting! 8-)

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I'm a little more sane than you were. I always thought it was a rather stupid thing to do. ...Then again, many people think that about fire fighting! 8-)

I've had to do things that were a lot more stupid, but the bull riding idea was right up there. :sadsmiley:

Once, I had to jump 2 stories off of a roof. If ever I experienced a miracle... that was the moment. :angel8:

For sure, willfully running into an inferno about to collapse or explode at any second, that hast to be an adrenaline rush! :icon_thumright:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at a fire training facility right near Texas A&M where we had to put out a 1,000 gallon LP tank fire as it's spewing flames 100' into the air. The heat was so intense that if anyone on the hose crews had screwed up, the middle person would have had their arm fried! Everyone had to take their turns. There were (2) hose crews, and one lone idiot who had to go up between the fog sprays and stick his hand through to turn off the gas valve. I think I was the 3rd idiot that day to stick my hand through. :laughing7:

We also descended from a 4-story concrete burn house in full gear, pulled charged 1.5" hose upstairs, sometimes while carrying a lifesize dummy, and even had a chance to go up in a helicopter. Had lots of other challenging things then as well. Plus went through fire training for the USAF (piece of cake!!), and 7 years of fire fighting in the Texas heat!!

But yeah, bull riding? Now THAT'S crazy!! :censored:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
< supermodel rider

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey right here! ...OH! Umm, wait a sec! I thought it said "Bull &%$#@&" Sorry.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a kid I grew up on a small horse ranch, and we had a few beef steers around
to keep the freezer full.

I seem to recall a time or two when we tried riding one of those steers, and it was
usually as payment for a bet..you lose the bet, you ride the steer.. :headbang:

One of those steers might have been 20% of what those big bulls are capable of.

Bulls? No thanks...I'll take a pass.
hawkeye.gif~original

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
About 4 years ago i was driving some back roads looking for a public hunting area. stopped at a gravel intersection trying to get a signal to pull up a map on the phone. windows down, quiet and peaceful nature sounds until i heard some strange noises nearby. looking over out the window was a bull standing at the fence stomping the ground and snorting. What, Mr Bull? You think you own this road?I thought about yelling at him until i noticed the fence was rotted branches for posts.....then I got the hell out of there as fast as I could. He wins.

I don't mess with the bulls anymore. :notworthy:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So many of your quips are enhanced by your avatar. I enjoy stumbling upon them. Makes me smile. :thumb_up:

actually riding models is harder than one would think. It's hard to find a saddle small enough, many times I just use two under one saddle

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mechanical Bulls in NYC count...?

LOL.

I've rode a mechanical bull in a bar once, but was too drunk to have a chance. It's not much easier if the operator wants to throw you off. So that counts for skill, I suppose.

Without the danger of the live animal there was no adrenaline pumping. I think that's why guys and gals ride bulls - for the rush! Can't believe another reason would exist.

We'll admit it as "counts". :thumbsup:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Mechanical Bulls in NYC count...?
What, you've never seen the movie 'Urban Cowboy' before?!?!? ...At least I think that was the film. Has been more than 20 years since I've seen it, but pretty sure they showed a mechanical bull in a bar.

...Why can't I remember IMPORTANT stuff rather than this meaningless garbage?? :BangHead:

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donny Gay is my hero! His commentary is priceless during bull riding events -

Love watching, wouldn't try it - I drive demo derby, but bull riders are crazy!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
What, you've never seen the movie 'Urban Cowboy' before?!?!? ...At least I think that was the film. Has been more than 20 years since I've seen it, but pretty sure they showed a mechanical bull in a bar.

...Why can't I remember IMPORTANT stuff rather than this meaningless garbage?? :BangHead:
LOL!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Wife and I go to the PBR every year for her Birthday. We like to get close enough for the snot to hit us.
Asteroid and Bushwhacker were worth the admission by themselves. To see a big animal legs leave the arena 6 feet in the air. That's a true athlete.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Just an UCB (Urban Cow Boy), myself... GREAT names for the Bucking Bulls. We have Bull Bucking in near-by Boonesboro out side of Lynchburg, Va. at a BIG farm there. EVERY Saturday night; men will sometimes "waddle" into church the next day; we can tell...

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wife and I go to the PBR every year for her Birthday. We like to get close enough for the snot to hit us.
Asteroid and Bushwhacker were worth the admission by themselves. To see a big animal legs leave the arena 6 feet in the air. That's a true athlete.

Did you say snot? Check out this guy.

Rodeo461.jpg

Rodeo462.jpg

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Many years ago I used to be friends with a guy who worked during the summer as a rodeo clown. I think that they may be crazier than the riders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread