Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How would you approach this...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Dirty Jerz
    Tesoro Outlaw
    504 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I like the "don't leave valuable things around the house". However, you need to trust your family.

Not sure I or anyone else who does not know the whole situation can give good advice, but I think from the examples you provided already, you know what likely happened. By the time I was 11 I knew where everything my Dad owned was. Sometimes he would be angry because he could not find something that I knew where it was. I had to keep my mouth shut. I looked through his stuff because I liked it. She probably likes your stuff too.

I like the advice that you are the boss, but don't be a di@k. Be firm but show compassion.
    Drmad7 and pat-tekker-cat like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    1324 times
    How community oriented are your local cops? See if one of them would help getting her steered in the right direction. Stash a few of her prized possessions. After a day or two ask her if she's missing anything because you're missing some stuff. When she says she's missing stuff too you say we need to get the cops involved and call your cop. When he / she shows up and starts asking your daughter if she knows what's up, I'll bet she'll cop to taking the items for whatever reason. Guaranteed she'll learn this behavior isn't good. We had one little guy wet himself, and I'm very glad to say I ran into him 13 years later & he thanked me and he turned out to be a great guy! Oh, he was swiping dads coin collection little by little and using it to buy candy. Over $200 of candy!?!? I was surprised he had ANY teeth.
    pat-tekker-cat and BagLady like this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2058 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think she's showing off the riches. You got to cancel that show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DannyB. and BagLady like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Washington/Texas
    Tesoro Compadre Tesoro Silver UMax Fisher 1265x Fisher F75 SE LTD Bounty Hunter LRP
    490 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have no doubt after the watch incident my daughter would be on lock down indefinitely. I have zero problems revoking her freedom when she screws up.. which happens from time to time. They can't learn if you don't teach them. I would say; certainly tear her room apart.. I would also go to her school and speak with every teacher she has and see if they saw the bracelets. This isn't the time to make nice. Explain trust to her; and when the watch incident happened the trust meter dropped to zero and will need to be refilled overtime.

I think that if you personally lost two diamond bracelets (one that isn't yours) you are extremely careless or irresponsible... I'm guessing that's not the case; so.. that means she took them.

However.. loosing 3! really nice watches for a couple weeks and nobody knows where they are? Whip would have been cracked that day. It almost sounds like you were scared to confront her or just blew it off.

What was the punishment for the watch deal?

Man up and confront her.. if you are wrong; apologize.

Nothing I wouldn't tell anyone in my family.
    BagLady likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Washington/Texas
    Tesoro Compadre Tesoro Silver UMax Fisher 1265x Fisher F75 SE LTD Bounty Hunter LRP
    490 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    I think she's showing off the riches. You got to cancel that show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crack'in me up..!

Charter Member
    us
    The Hoover Boys

Feb 2008
    At your local thrift
    The Gravitator Electroscope, divining rods, random rocks that look neat that are actually treasure maps, meditation and a charming imagination.
    880 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    BK, your daughter has them. She lied about the watches, you found them. She lied about your wife's item, you found it. You didn't simply misplace a few thousand dollars worth of jewelry. You don't have a ghost hiding objects in your house and you don't have a cat that is nesting with pieces of metal.

Go ahead and set the camera up with a bait ring and then come down on her. Lying and stealing--common lessons to have to teach your children about. Do it for the common good, even if it makes you uncomfortable. If you don't tell her right from wrong, who will?

My hunch is she is simply giving them away to friends. "Oh yeah, we have so much of this stuff lying around, yeah, you can have it!" Just like that your 11 year old girl is the most popular thing in school--what more could she ask for? Besides a few more bracelets lying around.

Take care 'o your bidness!!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    21831 times
    Thread moved, not Garage Sale related.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    5458 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wishing you the best in handling this situation.
    Perhaps, go to the school, talk to the principal, let him be aware and then go talk to her homeroom teacher. Inquire if she has noticed your daughter with "items". If she has an assigned desk or locker, check that, too.

Like one poster said, if you know some community involved Leo's, perhaps...... one could visit under the guise of "another persons valuables" are missing and they are "pressing charges", need to "investigate", something along those lines, gently(not to damage her mentally), but severe consequences DO happen in real life..... I'd only ask the police for help, as the last resort(wrong person, they'll be handcuffing her, taking her to juvie).

If she is "acting out" trying to test her own individuality, who she is, where she can belong and fit in, best to nip it quick, lay down the law, and be the boss. Set bad attitudes and misconduct straight, quick!
    Good luck and best wishes, I know it's tough.

correction, *acting out
    Last edited by pat-tekker-cat; Jan 26, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    2272 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

How would you approach this...

I would seek professional advice from a counselor. Have you considered the cause may be an absent or distant parent. She takes the items because they take from her in the guise of a parent. I would do some soul searching on how much time you spend picking and time spent with your daughter. I am not accusing you but just trying to show a different view of it. Sometimes the cause is the issue not the act. I hope it works out.
    Last edited by JimDon; Jan 26, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
    pat-tekker-cat and BagLady like this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    635 times
    If you are in Fl you might want to look into the Baker Act.

Kleptomania is in fact a disease. The sooner mental illness is diagnosed the better the chances for effective treatment. Could be nothing but better to err on the side of caution IMO.

At least consult an appropriate doctor.
    "Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true, but a great many other things are believed simply because they are asserted repeatedly." - Thomas Sowell

us
    Aug 2012
    Dirty Jerz
    Tesoro Outlaw
    504 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    If you are in Fl you might want to look into the Baker Act.

Kleptomania is in fact a disease. The sooner mental illness is diagnosed the better the chances for effective treatment. Could be nothing but better to err on the side of caution IMO.

At least consult an appropriate doctor.
    I recommend trusting your gut and not the advice of strangers. You're a good dude, you will figure it out.
    DannyB. and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Washington/Texas
    490 times
    Metal Detecting
    The last resort would be consulting a "doctor".

us
    Mar 2015
    Mississippi
    cheap
    611 times
    I feel your pain. I've been there too. I turned my daughter and her 2 friends into the Walmart manager when they were 12, and I had caught them red handed.
    I let him take over.
    Getting caught at that age, and having to face humiliation and stark fear of the unknown...
    I figured their life lesson was worth it.
    Because that is a lesson they will never forget. And not likely to repeat.
    It's hard. Parenting is hard. You have to make tough decisions sometimes, and sometimes its worth it.
    DannyB. likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    1143 times
    Prospecting
    Some kids steal others have boundary issues. There is a difference in that the one that steals intends to keep/sell the loot. The one with boundary issues is way more difficult IMO. They don't recognize ownership or when they are crossing someone elses boundaries.
    They take things to their space and possess them. The space can be their room or where ever they live later. They also will cross other boundaries like personal things where you might want to say "That's non of your business."
    For this mindset, normal boundaries don't exist.
    From here your going to need to figure out what your Daughter is all about and that might take some form of intervention professionally speaking. Age 11 is the pivot point for many kids. They are still building a sense of conscious 9 right/wrong) and sometimes need a little push.
    BagLady likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Charter Member
    us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8259 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You will always cause you to doubt yourself until you have the video.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links