waiting on FedEx ?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucky driver!

Took him some time to exit the cab. Probably was changing his underwear.

And that was a passenger train....what gives with the lights coming on and gates lowered after the accident?

Growing up driving in country areas where no crossing protections exist one learns to always, always, always look both ways before crossing. Heck, I still do it out of habit even with protections for exactly this reason in the video. I can almost stop my truck on a dime in an emergency but not the train!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple unprotected Crossings near me, but they always send someone ahead with flag and
still only travel at maybe 20 MPH through.

Only Train I ever almost got Hit By apparently was a Ghost train on a Ghost Track.

I traveled over this track for almost 2 Years to Visit a Girlfriend in Ashland .one night after work.
Always took Rt. 901.

I can remember like it was yesterday Driving over the track Slowly looking out My Left window
and seeing The Train ready to Hit Me.
I gunned it, Hit The Breaks, and Sat there & lit & Smoked a Cigarette Right on the Road
Before I Could Move on.

I cannot find that Track Even on the 30's Aerial :icon_scratch:
But as I said I can still Picture that Track , even the Surroundings there Like it was yesterday.

I have to do Some Research:tongue3: This is Bugging me Now.

Ah Here it Is. looks like there is a gate. at least now

01.jpg

02.jpg

Starting to think I was visiting someone else's Girlfriend
laughing7.gif

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right or wrong, going fast or slow, warning signals or not,, a train is very unforgiving.
I know, I worked on or around the tracks for 26 years.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that the crossing gates go down after the train has passed rather than before. Looks like railroad liability to me. Glad my expected package is coming UPS!!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to catfish a creek/river confluence near a train bridge. One night as a train was coming in the distance, which never had happened while i fished there, I thought to get up beside the bridge about chest level...just to experience something different. :BangHead:

I don't know how fast this freight train was moving, maybe 45mph-ish, but I reached the area I wanted to stand moments before the train passed and the blast of air in passing sucked me towards the bridge and backwards down the rocky slope a bit. The sound was deafening and debris pelted my face causing me to turn away then abandon the idea. Power like that is to be respected for sure.

And the train scared all the fish away too. :thumb_down:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean about the suction. I was fishing in a big river (Hudson) from a tin boat and casting toward a railroad bridge that spanned a smaller freshwater tributary when a train came along. The place where the tributary met the Hudson is a known good spot for spring stripers. I cast again as the train was going by and the suction took my lure and line and hooked the train. Spooled in a couple of seconds on the biggest thing I ever hooked!! Lost the lure and line, luckily had an extra outfit on board and continued fishing but only caught a couple of shorts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread