Dumbest thing you ever seen in a Court of law - tell it!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the dumbest thing you've ever witnessed in a live courtroom?

Me?

I was fighting a traffic citation because I was caught without proof of insurance in the truck. While waiting my turn in a packed traffic court there was a man called up next for the same charge.

The Judge noted his citation and offered to give the defendant 30 days to aquire auto insurance.

"I don't own a car. I don't need insurance.", said the defendant.

Judge says the fine for driving without insurance was something like $250. If the defendant would like he could have 30 days to aquire insurance and that when aquired the Judge would dismiss the citation.

(A six month liability only policy could be had for half that cost)

This guy was a special kind of stupid...

Defendant, "I said I don't own a car! I don't need insurance! What would I need insurance for when I don't even own a car?"

(Facepalm) I actually laughed out loud slightly and immediately caught the Judges eye and a very slight grin. I thought I was going to be scolded for laughing.

Judge must have been in a good mood. He gave him one more chance.

"Are you refusing to purchase auto insurance?", asks the Judge.

"I've already said to you twice that I do not own a car! Tell me why I would need insurance when I don't even own a car!", said the man.

He was immediately ordered to pay the fine. Blam!

And as fate would have it, who was called up next? Me...lol.

I whispered to my (wife now) girlfriend, "Watch how it's done".

Judge states my charge and gives me the same 30 days to purchase insurance.

"That won't be necessary, your Honor. I have with me today proof of insurance", I calmly replied.

Judge asks to see it. Reviews it briefly and slams the gavel, "Case dismissed"! Blam!

Facing the courtroom and approaching my girlfriend I said aloud, "That's how it's done!"

Math isn't my strongest suit, but I know a pass when I see one!

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, here's mine;

My wife and I purchased a business. When you sell a business, you can no long maintain a bank account in the name of the sold business, nor can you use checks with the sold business's name. Pretty standard operating procedures there.

About a year after we purchased it, we get a call from the city, asking if we were also XYZ business. Nope, why? Well, we received a check from your business paying for the business license of business XYZ. Interesting. I knew the guy we bought the business from was also the owner of XYZ, so I called our attorney, and he told us he can't do that. Now keep in mind there were some issues between us and the seller that created some bad blood. My attorney wrote out a cease and desist letter, requesting proof that the account was closed at the time of the business sale. Seller admitted he was still using an account with our business name, but only because... get this... he still had checks. :BangHead:

So we told him he had 14 days to close the account, and provide proof. He refused, as he had other checks out there and didn't want to cause them to be returned, which would cause him to incur late fees, overdraft fees, etc., etc.

Next step; small claims court.

His defense? Yup; he still had checks. The mitigating attorney tried to explain to him why he wasn't allow to do that, but he insisted he could still use the account since he still had checks.

Long story short, we won $2500. Some people....

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
While I've spent more time in court than I should have one silly, dumb, questionable cop (kinda a cop)
happened again in traffic court.
I was going to protest a ticket but unfortunately the Police Officer died being a hero by trying to save a drowning kid caught in a river current.
But before my name was called another guy with a speeding ticket was. He had a stack of radar company literature and operating inst. The offender asked the cop " Do you know who makes the radar system you used? Answer "No"
Have you ever read the operating instructions? answer "No"
During questioning it became known the cop would speed along and zap a stationary target and keep that speed on his radar so he could claim the offender was speeding.
"Are you aware the instructions disallow this method of recording speeding?"answer "No"
Judge "Case dismissed"
What a dumb a$$ other than the majority of people in court that day were his citations.
Serve and Protect?

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this count??

Jude Judy.jpg

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a jury for a guy that beat up 5 cops. We kept looking at each other and then we started to laugh. The judge asked me what was going on. Well sir i knew this man years ago and he could not beat up 5 cops. The judge asked me to explain. Well sir years ago i alone beat him up. Oh yes the police captain knows me too but thats another story. Juror number 37 your excused :icon_thumright:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Guy came up before the city Judge on a drug charge.

When the judge asked, "How do you plead?", the defendant --- rather than say "not guilty" --- proceeded to say: "How can you hear my case when YOU have to wear an ankle bracelet for dealing drugs?"

Judge shut down the hearing, cleared the court room, and had a "private hearing" before finding him guilty.

And yes, the judge was wearing an ankle bracelet because of a drug charge.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good gracious this thread is funny!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good things happen in the court too.

I took my daughters away from my ex in court. She told me she'd met someone and I was out of the house. Really kicked my butt for a while.

And then they started suing me for who knows what, always something new.

We had the same judge through 4 proceedings. At the end of the third, and everyone left except my lawyer and me, the Judge told me "Mr. Turner, you take care of yourself".

The next meeting is a story by itself, but the judge destroyed them and gave me custody of my girls :) :) :)

Ain't that the way it's supposed to happen? Good guys win too!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good things happen in the court too.

I took my daughters away from my ex in court. She told me she'd met someone and I was out of the house. Really kicked my butt for a while.

And then they started suing me for who knows what, always something new.

We had the same judge through 4 proceedings. At the end of the third, and everyone left except my lawyer and me, the Judge told me "Mr. Turner, you take care of yourself".

The next meeting is a story by itself, but the judge destroyed them and gave me custody of my girls :) :) :)

Ain't that the way it's supposed to happen? Good guys win too!

I usually just quote the relevant part of a post but in this case it's the whole thing. I went through the same thing. Ran out of my own home by my ex who stated she would lie to the police to have me removed. I came out smelling like a rose and got custody of our daughter and the house.
In keeping with the topic, the dumbest thing I have experienced in court was the judge who ruled that forcing her to pay me child support would be 'unfair and unjust' because she was battling alcohol addiction. Never mind that I was served with a support order the very week she kicked me out :BangHead:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It was hard to "Like" the end of that story! Good guys sometimes win. We take care of what matters to us. I'm glad yours was a win.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a funny first part to my 3 full years in court. The new guy and her sued me as an unfit father. She submitted a letter from a shrink stating that I shouldn't even have visitation, never having met me. So the judge ruled that I should start going to the guy. After 3 months of weekly visits, he wrote a letter to the court stating that I should be granted full custody. Then they went nuts embarrassing themselves with two more suits. They lost, eventually lost my house, and then divorced.

A fitting end.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread