TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There should have been a wiring diagram that came with the one-wire alternator . What did you have on the boat before?
Typically, Big red wire goes to the charging (hot) side of the battery. You can also google your alternator and find some wiring diagrams depending on YOUR setup on the boat.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks TB. This is the alternator that came with the boat circa 1970's. It was designed for a points style distributor with coil and ballast resistor. I had it rebuilt a year ago for a modern ignition (HEI) and I can't find any diagrams for this set up. So, I'm gonna got hot to the center lug, ground off the lug that's under the pigtail and ignition with the spade connector. If she burns down, it's on me...lol. The company that rebuilt it has since closed.....lucky me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
test with a multimeter, bad idea to just hook it up and hope

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The charging system is totally separate from the ignition system. To my knowledge, having an HEI ignition system should not matter. The alternator charges the battery.
It looks like a one wire alternator which means it has a built in voltage regulator. The unit should be grounded and red wire to the battery. Your local auto parts store
like a NAPA should be able to advise you as well. Take the alternator with you. I swapped out an old generator on a 61 ford falcon with a one wire GM alternator and just bypassed the regulator and went straight to the Hot side of the battery using a new battery cable connector that had pigtail. That worked fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions